Basic P.D. hunting questions

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Dan877
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500 HB

Basic P.D. hunting questions

Post by Dan877 »

Being down here in Louisiana we don’t have much in the way of varmints to hunt the way you folks up north and out west do, but I’ve always wanted to try prairie dog shooting. So I’m trying to make plans to give it a try later this year or early next. I’m at the start of the planning stage and have some very basic questions.

I do plan to go the guide/outfitter/ranch route since I know nothing but what I’ve read about p. d. shooting and I’ve gleaned enough information to know that’s the best way to start out.

My main question is where are the best places to shoot at various times of the year? If I planned to go, say, around September this year, would I be better off trying to find a guide/ranch out west or up north? Or if maybe in April of next year?

I’d like to find a place as close as possible so that I could maybe go two or three times a year. Are there any places to shoot in the Texas/Oklahoma area? If so what are the best times to go that direction?

I’ve got a distant relative in Wyoming who says to come any time I want. But he doesn’t shoot dogs, so he’s not sure when is the best time to go there. Can anyone from up that way advise on when to go there?

My main thing right now is I don’t want to make arrangements and go somewhere then find out it’s the worst time of the year to go there. I would hope a guide or outfitter would be honest but one never really knows. I did that on the only “guided” fishing trip I ever took, didn’t catch a single fish in 3 days then the guide says “well, they don’t run much this time of year.” I thought it would have been nice if he had told me that when I booked the trip.

Thanks for any advise.
Dan
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Basic P.D. hunting questions

Post by acloco »

End of April/beginning of May can be VERY good times. Middle of May tends to be better...unless it is raining in Wyoming. Bottom line, if you have a day that is 60F + and sunshine, you will be happy hunting prairie dogs. If it is windy, they will still be out, but just not in force or as easy to see.

Call the county extension agent, they will probably be your best source of info, as they KNOW every farmer/rancher in their area.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Watch for state and federal regulations regarding the spring/summer starting date for shooting prairie dogs on state and federal lands. I can't remember the exact dates, but I think in some states you may have to wait until the end of May or the first part of June before you can legally shoot prairie dogs (or some specific species of prairie dogs) on public land.

Out here in North DaColder, the pups usually aren't up above the ground until way late in May or early June. That's when I consider it to be PRIME prairie poodle pottin' time.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
YoteSmoker
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varminter

Post by YoteSmoker »

Wyoming year round, no license neede for prairie dogs or yotes.
Colorado No public hunting of prairie dogs 1 March to 14 June, small game license required.
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

Best place and when.......private land, all the time or anytime I have enough ammo to make the drive to the farm. My sister knows everyone of her neighbors. There isn't enough public land that has pds on it in CO to make seasons any issue at all. On private land you don't need a license here. (see small game regs 325a and 325b)

from May 15th to first of Oct generally gives me the most shots but I shoot 'em all the time. Shooting 'em again in a week.

Never shot them in OK or TX but I am sure there are some there. I hear that OK can be excellent if you know where. Try searching for an outfitter online. Next closest would be KS, far SW corner.

Unlike fishing where you can't see your quarry anywhere near as well as with shootings pds....you'll know right away if you got bad advise.

FYI...if I paid an outfitter for a fishing trip that lasted three days and didn't catch a fish. It is doubtful he would remain an outfitter for long. He would be pulling my fishing pole out of a place he probably didn't think it would fit.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Dan877 wrote:I’ve got a distant relative in Wyoming who says to come any time I want. But he doesn’t shoot dogs, so he’s not sure when is the best time to go there. Can anyone from up that way advise on when to go there?
Dan, I went to Wyoming last year in mid-June and had a fantastic time. Next time, I'll try to go a bit earlier in the year (mid to late May) and see how that works as well. Best of luck to you!
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Hey Dan877,

Where in LA are you? You got any Nutria near you? Folks used to get paid to shoot them.

http://www.nighthawkpublications.com/jo ... l181-3.htm

LOUISIANA DEPARTMENT
OF
WILDLIFE AND FISHERIES
Strategic Plan 2008-09 through 2012-2013
July, 2007

OBJECTIVE 6. To manage the furbearer resources of the state to provide for species
protection, sustainable harvest and through the Coastwide Nutria Control Program provide
incentive payments for nutria harvest to reduce the negative impact of this non-native species on
coastal wetland habitats.
Last I heard it was about $4.00 per tail.
joghotrod

Post by joghotrod »

Dan877 wrote:Being down here in Louisiana we don’t have much in the way of varmints to hunt the way you folks up north and out west do, but I’ve always wanted to try prairie dog shooting. So I’m trying to make plans to give it a try later this year or early next. I’m at the start of the planning stage and have some very basic questions.

I do plan to go the guide/outfitter/ranch route since I know nothing but what I’ve read about p. d. shooting and I’ve gleaned enough information to know that’s the best way to start out.

My main question is where are the best places to shoot at various times of the year? If I planned to go, say, around September this year, would I be better off trying to find a guide/ranch out west or up north? Or if maybe in April of next year?

I’d like to find a place as close as possible so that I could maybe go two or three times a year. Are there any places to shoot in the Texas/Oklahoma area? If so what are the best times to go that direction?

I’ve got a distant relative in Wyoming who says to come any time I want. But he doesn’t shoot dogs, so he’s not sure when is the best time to go there. Can anyone from up that way advise on when to go there?

My main thing right now is I don’t want to make arrangements and go somewhere then find out it’s the worst time of the year to go there. I would hope a guide or outfitter would be honest but one never really knows. I did that on the only “guided” fishing trip I ever took, didn’t catch a single fish in 3 days then the guide says “well, they don’t run much this time of year.” I thought it would have been nice if he had told me that when I booked the trip.

Thanks for any advise.
Dan

Hi Dan,

Several guys from the Palo Alto Rifle and Pistol Club go every year to the pan handle of Texas. I think near Dumas. If you live close to Baton Rouge you could call some of the guys in the club.

Jimmy
.204 Ruger M77 Mark II Weaver 6-24
.222 Rem. BDL Varmint Leupold VX III 6.5-20
.204 Dtech AR 24 in. 1/9 twist SS Fluted Shilen Barrel with Compensator, Leatherwood 8.5-25 uni-dial Also 1/12 twist Shilen. NRA Life Member
6BR Dtech Upper, Shilen 1/8 twist.
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

jimmy - is that what you do when you want to shoot pds. ;)
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
joghotrod

Post by joghotrod »

skb2706 wrote:jimmy - is that what you do when you want to shoot pds. ;)
No, I go see a friend in CO. and I was sworn to secrecy so I can not tell where. :wink:

So don't let CO. outlaw live targets. :P

Jimmy
.204 Dtech AR 24 in. 1/9 twist SS Fluted Shilen Barrel with Compensator, Leatherwood 8.5-25 uni-dial Also 1/12 twist Shilen. NRA Life Member
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

The 'outlaw' crap would only really apply to public land pds. There not many places in CO that are public lands and have pds. Not to worry.........I can get away with killing them for a depredation project as an agent of the farm. I just can't act like I like it.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
joghotrod

Post by joghotrod »

skb2706 wrote:The 'outlaw' crap would only really apply to public land pds. There not many places in CO that are public lands and have pds. Not to worry.........I can get away with killing them for a depredation project as an agent of the farm. I just can't act like I like it.
I guess we have to cry every time we hit one. :shock:

Jimmy
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

I just had to add my dittos as I am very familiar with Wy, especially the SW corner. And early to mid-May is the best shooting. The young'uns have just come up and will stand on the mound with their parents. Into June is when they strike out on their own. They'll still be there but they are trying to find their own burrows. Shooting is good throughout the summer but steadily declines through the fall.
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
dogslayer
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber Varmint, Leupold 6.5-20x50LR

Post by dogslayer »

Im from Minot NDand my buddy and i went out on this last friday it was 40 degrees but they were out not in huge
#s like in the spring and summer but it felt really good to get out and shootem.
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

joghotrod wrote:
skb2706 wrote:jimmy - is that what you do when you want to shoot pds. ;)
No, I go see a friend in CO. and I was sworn to secrecy so I can not tell where. :wink:

So don't let CO. outlaw live targets. :P

Jimmy
Shot a couple of hundred of them last Friday and Sat.....got up yesterday to freezing drizzle and cold wind. We did a little re-con work to find new spots as it seems we have to stay ahead of the poison lately.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel