Rangefinders

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Inrut24/7
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500

Rangefinders

Post by Inrut24/7 »

I want a rangefinder for groundhog hunting out to 500 yards, I have made some far shots, but usually by spotting misses first. Its time for a rangefinder and I would like to keep it around 300.00 or less, Will a rangefinder that says it will give a non reflective reading out to 600 yards give a reading from a groundhog or the mound of dirt at its hole at 500 yards? thanks, any input appriciated.
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Re: Rangefinders

Post by surfclod »

I had been looking for the same thing as you just described but I found from my search that unless you spent upwards of $1000 you would not be able to successfully range find items such as mounds of dirt at any great distance. The type I had been looking at (don't recall what type but the $200-$300 price range) claimed to be good out to 500-600 yards but this was a large reflective surface such as a building, on a larger furry animal (ie deer) it was half of that distance and small animals or dirt mounds it was hardly of any use beyond 150 yards. To get an accurate reading on a small reflective target is when you see the result of the larger dollars spent on optics.

What I have done in the mean time is to buy a few electric fence posts and a surveying wheel and then set up the posts at the distances I expect to shoot at, they also double as wind flags. Kinda crude but its what I could afford.

Another option is to keep an eye out for used stuff, perhaps on eBay you could find a higher end one for budget price.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Get a leica crf 1200 and never look back. I can range pd mounds out to 500+yds, elk sized critters to 800 and treelines to 1200. It follows me out everytime I take out gun or bow.
I will never be without one again. If cost wasn't an issue I would pick up the Leica Geovids (bino / rangefinder combo) but at 3 grand a pop, I'll stick with the crf 1200.
Savage Vaporizer
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Another vote for the Leica! Simple yet amazing results. Gary
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

It stop an ends with leica save your money and buy the the leica's
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Inrut24/7
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500

Post by Inrut24/7 »

Thanks for the replys guys. looks like its time to save some money
rfurman24
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12

Post by rfurman24 »

I had a Bushnell now I have a Leica. Do not waste your money on cheap rangefinders you will be disappointed. Save and get the Leicas.
darchell
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varmint VLP

Post by darchell »

I can add that the Nikon I have was unable to range at the distance I shot my last hog, 462. It was only able to rang to the hedge rows and large brush/ trees. Could not get the grass or ground around the hole. The only way I got the exact range was to stand at he hole he was found dead at and range back to the truck. It had no problem ranging to the truck, metallic surface. There is an idea. We could go out in the winter when they are hibernating and glue little mirrors on their backs. Then in the spring we should have no problem ranging them. :lol:
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Paint a bulls eye on their a$$, too.