Sage Rat Launching Part III

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
majcl5

Sage Rat Launching Part III

Post by majcl5 »

We had a great shoot other than the weather, lots of Juvenile's they were out in force. Saturday Morning it was cloads and sun mix but windy . We had a decent shot In the morning enough to keep our intrest. Then the wind picked up and i mean it blew. Didnt check it but it was gusty. I found out that the Sage rats still came out with wind it didnt affect them like i thought. Saturday night it rained like the days of Noah until about 9:00 am then it was sunny and the rats were out like flees it looked like the ground was moving . We were set up on the edge about 120-150 yards was a rise and it was like shooting at a bank. With the close range and the rats were just covering it , it was like fish in a barrel. Our % was in the high 90's for connections.Then it got Windy with a capitol W. They were still out but shooting % went down . Monday was on and off rain , When it started raining the rats went down totally gone, sun would come out the would start sproting like weeds. All in all a great trip . Heres some photos.

Heres a group shot without yours truly

My son Jay or majcl5 jr

Heres a good clear shot of some lift off

May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Re: Sage Rat Launching Part III

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Looks cold but fun. I was after them last week and the rats were out even in 20 mph winds. What rifles were you using and what were your longest hits? Great having the pictures. Well done :stickman:
Please, no Sidewinder today!
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

Me my son and best friend have rem. 700 vlss thumbhole .204's and another has a rem.vlss thumbhole 22-250. And a rem 700 vls .204. 250-300 yard shots . this trip i didnt go for any long shots . The babys were the plentiful targets and there as big as a salt shaker. Last trip i had some in the 400 yds but mostly close ones this trip. It is so fun to be scanning with your scope in the alphafa and just pick out a eyeball or head boobing up and down then guess were there body is and extract them out of the grass. I just love shooting them little buggers!!

Heres a picture of our guns all in all we have 5 of these guns in my group. Love them very accurate. I call this my Bench of Carnage.
Rem 700 VLSS .204
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

The babys were the plentiful targets and there as big as a salt shaker
Yeah its fun when you find a group that are bunched together and you get multiple kills in one shot, my best was 4 babies poking out a hole at about 65 yards. Aimed for center of the group and then went to see the results, 3 of them were in various states of dismemberment and one was unmolested but lay there stunned severel feet from the hole.
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

They just bunch up toghther its hard to tell how many you get sometimes there is just little fury splatter.
Rem 700 VLSS .204