Past weekend outing. (Plenty of pics)

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Past weekend outing. (Plenty of pics)

Post by surfclod »

Here in Alberta we had a long weekend with Monday being Heritage Day, not sure what is significant about it but I decided I would agree to the day off and use it to honor our shooting heritage. :D

The economic slowdown has my shop cut back to a 4 day work week, which is fine with me. I spent friday at the range doing some ladder testing for my newly installed Shilen barrel. It was a lot of walking out to 200 yards and back but luckily being a friday I pretty much had the rifle bays to myself. Shot my test ammo and then rezeroed it on some 32 Gr V-Max that were loaded for the previous barrel, they printed sub-MOA so decided to go ahead and shoot them rather than pull them.

Here is a pic of the business end of my new barrel. The bull barrel is not really necessary but I love the look.

Saturday was terrific weather just a light breeze most of the day, with a high of about 31 C (88 F) in the afternoon. Skippy was out and keeping me busy till the temp climbed up then I BBQed a burger and read a few chapters from a novel. Most of my shots were under 200 yards and this was the first time I had hunted in this little valley this year so I got 48 kills out of 50 shots using ammo developed for the other barrel, plus 15-20 more with my .22LR. Plus one magpie who was unaware that 150 yards may be safe from a shot gun but not a .204 Ruger. As the rancher described "The gophers are fat and sassy this time of year" so they made spectacular sights and sounds all day long. In this particular area they were all Columbian Ground Squirrels and some of the bigger ones would be nearly as big as a Prairie Dog, sadly I may only have one more weekend left before they go back underground to hibernate.

Anyways enough of that, I know you guys like to see pictures......

This fella left some baggage behind during his first flight.

He appears to be saying, "WTF! Why is my stomach over there??"

If his head were still attached he would appear to be peacefully sleeping.

Taking a note from Silverfox's I include a "Hero Shot". I had time and needed a bit of exercise so after every 5-10 shots I gathered up the bodies I could find for a good photo op.

Its not all carnage, see even a photo of a butterfly :wink:

I spent Sunday visiting my sister and her family at their new home then returned to the area for more shooting on Monday. Weather was fine in the morning, the rancher was moving a small herd of cattle behind where I was set up. It made for a nice photo with the wild flowers in the foreground and green hills in the background.

However by noon the wind picked up, temp dropped to 15 C (60F)and I decided to head back to the city. These pictures are just 25 minutes south of area where I shoot so you get an idea that wind is often a factor.

Its raining now, and the forecast is to rain all week long until Sunday, which is bad for my shooting plans and even worse for the rancher and his hay that is down. Hopefully it will change for the better and more varminting will be in store, I just hate it when a season draws to a close :cry: .
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Re: Past weekend outing. (Plenty of pics)

Post by Melvin Eades »

Neat looking country up there. Looks like you've got your gun dialed in pretty good too. Nice write up and good pictures, makes it easier on the imagination with pictures.

Maybe the weather will change and you'll get in one more hunt before they go down. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

ME
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hey there my Canadian buddy, looks like the new barrel is going to be a real hummer. First trip out and bloodied.....way to go.

Our rats are Belding Ground Squirrels, and they have already gone down for the season. It appears all species of these rats go down when the heat gets turned up, and oh boy, has it ever been turned up around here. It was 103*F here Sunday on the high desert....no shooting, just inside enjoying the A/C. ;) No self respecting rat would be caught above ground in this kind of sweltering heat. Maybe those critters know something?

That's some spectacular country there. I bet a walkabout in those parts does not hurt your feeling one bit. Great day, fine shooting rifle, plenty of carnage.....a very good day indeed. Thanks for sharing, and the best of luck with that new barrel. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

SWEET! :D Man I love this stuff! You need to get together with Gube and start the northern chapter of the Eastern Oregon Raptor Feeding Society :lol: Thanks for sharing. Gary
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Excellent trip! Any more info on your shooting stick?

Where in Alberta are you? I grew up in north central Montana (4 to 30 miles from the border - south of Sweetgrass/Coutts/Sunburst).
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

surfclod--That was one heck of a nice report. Those photos of the carnage were GREAT! I got quite a chuckle out of your
Its not all carnage, see even a photo of a butterfly
picture. You had great timing to get that photo. I'll bet the butterfly was just thirsty and they drink whatever liquid is handy, even Columbian Ground Squirrel blood.

That is one fine rifle you have there. That barrel look pretty doggone stout. I'm thinking that isn't a walkabout rifle, but more of a bench model with the size of that barrel. What contour is it?

Thanks for the great report and fine photos. Keep the reports coming.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

acloco wrote:Excellent trip! Any more info on your shooting stick?
Silverfox wrote: That is one fine rifle you have there. That barrel look pretty doggone stout. I'm thinking that isn't a walkabout rifle, but more of a bench model with the size of that barrel. What contour is it?
The rifle is a Savage Model 12 VLP purchased new in 2005. I never kept track of the number of rounds through it but it is around 3500-4500 on the factory tube. I replaced the barrel about a month ago and it now sports a Shilen Savage pre-fit barrel 26" long, 1-12" twist in Bull Barrel profile (1.060"-1"). I also added a SSS Competition Recoil Lug and bedded the action earlier in the spring. A Rifle Basix SAV-2 trigger replaced the accutrigger and is set at about 6-8oz. It has the factory laminate stock but I shaped the pistol grip area to better suit my small hands and added some ventilation slots on the forestock. I am really happy with it and am excited to see what kind of accuracy I can get with the new barrel.

My original plan was to use the factory barrel on a Stevens 200 (in 243,7mm-08, or 308) as my walkabout gun and then swap the barrel back for deer season but when the economy went bad I had to put that plan on hold in case I am out of work at some time.
acloco wrote:Where in Alberta are you? I grew up in north central Montana (4 to 30 miles from the border - south of Sweetgrass/Coutts/Sunburst).
I have lived right in Calgary for the past 6 years but travel south to Pincher Creek and Crowsnest Pass area for my hunting. The ranchers I know are always happy to have me thin out the pests a little bit and I help out with their cattle brandings in the spring time as well so I keep the land owners pretty happy.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Great looking rifle and nice country. What a pile of squirrels. Thanks for the pictures.
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

Great writeup and nice looking mods to the stock! :wtg: