shooting bench

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
doobie
.204 Ruger Guns: none

shooting bench

Post by doobie »

gentlemen or ladies ,
i was looking in the cabelas shooting catalog for a mobile and easy to carry shooting rest for woodchuck hunting . i noticed one made by mobile resst . its showen on page 55 , bottom left hand corner . its called '' mobile tech roto blaster gun rest '' . ( what a name , probably took a twelve pack night to come up with that :hic: )
i was just wondering if anyone has used one . it does look mighty portable but it looks awful flimsy . any info would be great .
thanks , dan
doobie

Re: shooting bench

Post by doobie »

i answered my own question . i started researching it and came up with a consumer report and it pretty much doesn't look any good . report stated cheaply made and wiggles to much to to use . thanks anyway , dan.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

doobie: You don't list your location, but there's a gunsmith in PA named Jim Piegtal that offers a neat lightweight portable shooting stool/rest made from PVC that you may find perfect for your application. His "bench" has been featured both in Gun Digest and Varmint Hunter Magazine from articles by the late Don Lewis (a life-long dedicated chuck shooter).

If you need help finding Jim, let me know, as I've got contact info around here somewhere.

If you want to go the "vehicle served" route, check out the BR Pivot shown below, now offered by MidwayUSA.

It's not feather light, but is about the most stable, comfortable rotating portable bench you'll ever shoot from and will last several lifetimes. Our prairie rats here hate it! :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Doobie, If this is the one you are looking at,,,

My son-in-law bought this one just before our last PD trip together and found that it is pretty time consuming to set up and take down, compared to the others we were using

Mine is the "San Angelo" bench with a cheap beach umbrella,,,

And sets up easily but weighs in at about 45#.... not great for carrying a long distance....

Another member used what is referred to as a "Booger Bench" that is homemade and can be found at "Varmint Al's" website...much lighter, and a snap to set up...as well as being very stable for a shooting platform..

I have to admit that I wish I had gone the "Booger Bench" route and saved the weight and money....Depending on how fancy you want to make it,,, it will have a base cost of about $25 vs. the $100 price tag for the San Angelo.... And I know my son in law paid a bunch more for the "Roto Rest"...
AR
Factory/Factory
doobie

Post by doobie »

those aren't quite what i had in mind . thanks for all the replys .
what i have in mind is something very compact that can be carried a half of mile . here in northern ohio the fields have had the fence rows wiped out and its a long hike to shoot a few chucks and then walk back out to the truck , head to another farm and hike in again .
i'm now changing my thinking to my dove chair ( light , small , and portable with a shoulder strap ) and some kind of tri pod .
ssooo if you have any recommendations on a shooting tri pod thats very sturdy , lay it on me . all info is extremely welcomed and thankful , dan

p.s.
Rick in oregon , i'm still trying to research the gentleman in pa . i'll dig a little more , thanks .
JBinMontana
.204 Ruger Guns: H&R Handi Rifle 22" Bull Barrel

Post by JBinMontana »

Here is a couple with wheels that you can cart in...

http://www.thefind.com/sports/browse-sh ... ting-bench
JB
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Jard trigger makes a bench that weighs 16lbs. it is a neat design a three legged type saw horse that I have been thinking about. One thing that I use is the pole cat dupod that snaps on to the for end of your rifle I have these on just about all my rifles then I carry a $4 dollar dove stool made of aluminum. I have killed a lot of squirrels & coyote from this set up. It is very portable probibley less than 3lbs. I also have a San Angelo table but there is no way you could carry it very far. The table is a good buy though. It you pick it up on sale for $85 dollars with shipping about a $100 dollars total. But not very portable.
Last edited by Ryan S Albright on Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ethan
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Encore

Post by Ethan »

Ryan S Albright wrote:... a $100 dollars total. But not very potable.

But can you drink from it Ryan?? :D :D :D
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

You might attach a cup holder!
WY-NEvarmints
.204 Ruger Guns: AR 204

Post by WY-NEvarmints »

OldTurtle, the one your son-in-law bought appears to be the one from Do-All Outdoors and is called the Prairie Pedator. It is fairly sturdy but as you said it does take a little bit to put together. I have one that I have used on a few PD shooting sessions and it serves a purpose. If you shop around you can get them for less than a hundred bucks. They are a darn site better than nothing.
doobie

Post by doobie »

i've still been searching and found a company called kenco outdoors . they are marketing a transit tripod with a gimble on it . i really like the design but really don't like the price .
so i saw a dewalt transit tripod for about $60 . , now alls i have to do is come up with a resonable design to make a gun rest with adjustability to it that is sturdy enough to lean on and shoot .
dan
remy3424
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700, Tika T3, Ruger 77R MKII., Savage Pred., Rem XR100 +

Post by remy3424 »

I just finshed building a rotating shooting bench, heavy, but looks like it will be great. I usually just set-up close to the truck anyway(prairie dawgs). I am going to build a boogie bench or whatever you want to call it to carry out when the shooting slows down. I figure I will use a 5-6 gallon bucket with a snap-on padded lid/seat. Use it to carry ammo, water, a rear rest (filled w/ corn-cob to save weight). Sling the rifle with a short bi-pod, carry the table in one hand and the bucket in the other, taking the battle to the varmints!!! I haven't built it yet, but it looks like it have the potential to be a nice portable system.

Here's a link to from a guy who is making the little bench/table...

http://www.californiavarmintcallers.com/shotbnch.htm

remy3424
Take a kid to the range, both of you will be glad you did. remy3424
doobie

Post by doobie »

thanks remy , i was just at lowes last week looking at legs just similar to those . i'm in the process of taking apart a shooting bench that i had made yrs ago using pipe couplings and pipe for the legs . it was heavy and not sturdy and sat in the basement since early 80's .
i'm liking the idea of the transit tri pod and maybe a platform big enough to hold a bull bag with corn cob media .
thanks for your input , any ideas that may spark the one i need for this project are greatly appreciated .
dan
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Check out this site.A bipod you can make,and add a third leg if you want.Would work great with your Dove stool.

http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm

Joe O
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Made this one out of steel. Rotates 360 degrees.

The $25 alternative: