Coyote bullet...doesn't save fur!

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Buglemintoday
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 204 ruger

Coyote bullet...doesn't save fur!

Post by Buglemintoday »

I am looking for a bullet to begin reloading for my .204 Ruger. Everyone says go with the 35gr Berger but most people who mention the Berger also mention "sewing" up holes they make.

I am just looking for a dead dog :lol: Not looking for a bullet that splashes on impact every time...so I guess that takes out the 32gr right? What if I don't mind larger holes? Is the 40gr Nosler worth a shot or is it gonna be too explosive? Will it stabilize in my 1 n 12?

Thanks all for the information yall have added to make this website what it is. A lot of great reading material.

Justin
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Re: Coyote bullet...doesn't save fur!

Post by BabaOriley »

Sounds like you should try the Hornady 45gr Spire Point. It may not stabilize in your rifle, but I've read it does in some factory 1:12 twist barrels. If it does in yours, I don't see any other lead nose bullets available. If you want to be assured of penetration even if it hits a shoulder, this should be the coyote bullet for the .204. Everything else seems designed to fragment on impact. I have read the 40gr Nosler BT may have a thicker jacket than the 40gr Hornady V-Max, allowing better penetration, although nobody has shown conclusive proof or real world experience indicating a difference.

PM me your address and I can mail you a few if you want to try some at 200 and see if they stabilize. I stocked up on 600 of them last time factory seconds were 13 cents a piece.
CV32

Post by CV32 »

The Nosler BT has a solid base, which probably makes it a better choice for coyotes than some other bullets.
The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving. - Ulysses S. Grant (1822-85)
Buglemintoday

Post by Buglemintoday »

Pm sent Baba :) Appreciate the help

CV32 - So the Nosler BT shouldnt[u splash on impact? I'm not saving the dogs I shoot so I don't mind a large entry/exit wound but I dont wanna have to track these Coyotes either :wink:
Rich V
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ Varmint

Post by Rich V »

Here in my neck of the woods,coyotes are worth less than spit. Most just leave em where they drop. If you don't care about fur, try a 39gr. Sierra BK
Buglemintoday

Post by Buglemintoday »

Rich V wrote:Here in my neck of the woods,coyotes are worth less than spit. Most just leave em where they drop. If you don't care about fur, try a 39gr. Sierra BK
Do you think that will lay em down without me having to do a tracking job? That's my main concern.

Thanks for the responses! They aren't worth anything down here either Rich!
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Do you think that will lay em down without me having to do a tracking job? That's my main concern.
That's just plain old gonna happen at times. None of these bullets are BANGFLOPS without good shot placement. Having said that I've found on a lot of groundhogs the 40gr Berger's cause the most damage after the 32gr'ers. Not one crawler with them. I've had a couple crawlers with the 39gr BK's on the occasional gut shot. But never with the 40gr Bergers. And I personally think groundhogs are harder to kill than coyotes.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Buglemintoday

Post by Buglemintoday »

Good Deal,

I appreciate all of the responses everyone!
Rich V
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ Varmint

Post by Rich V »

Like Glen said. I'ts gonna happen. I've had a few gut shots but they died before I got up and over to them. They won't move fast, unless you clip a leg and you always have a second shot.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I am actually in the process of working up some 40 grain Bergers for my 204. I love the 39 grain Sierra Blitzkings for sage rats and prairie dogs but I want better penetration for coyotes. I believe they will not have the splash if I hit bones that can happen with the plastic tips.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Buglemintoday

Post by Buglemintoday »

lmk how that goes Sidewinder!
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I have killed lots of coyote with the 32gr Vmax by Horndy and it does a great job! Drops them dead with no exit. I can show lots of pictures most you can not even see the entree wound.
Manitobamonster
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 lite, CZ 527 Varmint 204

Post by Manitobamonster »

I would avoid the Blitzking for coyote yes they leave a big hole but on entrance not exit. I am died in wool blitzking fanatic for 22 calibers but from performance I have seen on the 3 I have shot with the 39gr outta my Tikka I have been disappointed 2 had golfball sized entrances which says to me very close to full out splash and a runner. The one I shot today chest first splashed very bad leaving a softball sized entrance and it needed a follow up shot to dispatch it. Accuracy wise fantastic like the BK's always are I just find they are to borderline build wise for taking Coyote. I have now gone back to the 35gr Bergers as I has fantastic luck with them 1 shot bang dead. I have taken 15 with Bergers this year no losses. I would take a look at the 40gr Bergers as they seems to shoot well in my 1-12 twist of my Tikka we pushed fairly hard. Just my experience with the BK's I am sure others have different stories I thought I would share mine about them.
We are all slaves to the sport eventually some of us become masters-Unknown

Nothing of importance can be done without effort-D.B. Wesson

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis Dec. 3 2005 Never looked back. Please give to your local MS Society Chapters!!