primer pocket problems

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

primer pocket problems

Post by ryutzy »

I'm using Winchester Brass and WLR primers in .243 win. I'm using new unfired brass that were prepped. (flash holes deburred, chamferred, and neck sized) The primer pockets are extremely tight, so much so that the primer is flattened when seated. It looks like a round that was loaded too hot and fired. So I know what you all will say-----get a pocket uniformer. To this point I've never needed one as the brass I've used before all seated great, and seemed to be very uniform. This is the first time I've used any amount of Winchester brass. Now for the real question, what tool is the best for pocket uniforming? I dont want a cheap tool that I wont be happy with, and I dont want a tool that will make the hole too large. Any other advice you have for me would be great!!
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: primer pocket problems

Post by Joe O »

WW brass and WW primers,should not be giving you this problem.If you have diferent primers,other than Federal,which run slightly larger,measure them ,write it down,and try them.Call winchester about the problem,have the brass lot # available.Meanwhile you may try champhering the primer pocket slightly with a mouth champhering tool.Primer pocket uniformers,only cut the bottom of the pocket.If this is fired brass,the primer pockets should be cleaned,but I doubt if that is causing the degree of difficulty you discribed.What tool are you using to seat the primers?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

That's getting to be a common problem, no matter what the brand of brass, Hornady being the worst of the lot in this regard. Many times, even when using WW brass (my usual), my cutter starts cutting prior to reaching the bottom of the pocket, telling me the case was formed using worn tooling, making the pocket I.D. too narrow half way down, thereby making proper primer seating impossible without the "crush factor".

That said, I use and recommend the Forester primer pocket uniformer, but the Sinclair, K&M and others are also very worthy. I've found that when reloading/handloading any rifle cartridge these days, primer pocket uniforming is just a matter of fact and must be done to prevent smashing primers. This also illustrates the need for precison hand priming, NOT ever using the extreme leverage available with todays loading presses. You'll never get consistent ignition if your squishing primers using your loading press. JMO
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

I'm using hornady's handpriming tool. I've never had any issues with it and it seems to do well. I'll measure the primers and I'll try my CCI match primers, but I think I'll let WW know of the issue. I dont believe it could be anything else other than the primer pockets are too small. When I seat the primer I meet a lot of resistance the entire time I'm pressing the handle. In the past I've used Hornady and Nosler brass and the pockets were never too small, however the hornady brass sometimes had pockets that were slightly too large. I'm a fan of Nosler brass and I've got some Lapua to try and I think I will stick the high quality stuff. I hate issues with quality of brass, bullets, dies, etc. I'm loading a batch for a buddy and he didn't want to spend the money on Nosler, so I'm stuck with the imperfections and I have to fix it. Thanks for your input.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

Well it's confirmed. My WW brass primer pockets are too tight. I tried another lot of WW brass and the primers seated just fine. I am trying to contact Winchester and I cannot find their customer service number anywhere on their website. Annoying!!! Does anyone have their contact info????
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

ryutzy wrote:Well it's confirmed. My WW brass primer pockets are too tight. I tried another lot of WW brass and the primers seated just fine. I am trying to contact Winchester and I cannot find their customer service number anywhere on their website. Annoying!!! Does anyone have their contact info????
Got me too.Call 800 356 2666 and see if they can direct you to the proper person.Leave a message,if you get a recording.They will call back,in a reasonable length of time.Quality control is getting real sorry of late.
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

Your firing pin could very well be the problem. Midwayusa.com check vidio tutorials. They have a tutorial on checking firing pin punch depth etc. Hope this helps. Some primers have a heavier cup as well.