Tikka T3 Lite/Ruger M77 Mark II!

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Canis Latrans
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Tikka T3 Lite/Ruger M77 Mark II!

Post by Canis Latrans »

Good day every one,

As per the title says, I changed my Ruger and bought a T3 lite in .204 this year, my Ruger was way too heavy and was starting to wear on me on long walks, especially with the bipod on.

Didn't have to change loads as it was just about as good with the Tikka as it was with the Ruger.

When I shot a coyote with my Ruger, it was most of the time Bang flop, but had the odd twister and very seldom runners. On my chrono with the Ruger, the 35 gr. Berger traveled at 3789 ft/sec. with 27.6 gr. of H4895 with O.A.L. of 2.260". Never chrono'ed this load with my Tikka.

Shot 3 yotes with my Tikka so far, 2 runners, found them dead at 100 and 150 yards approx. and the other, well, it took me 4 bullets to make it expire and it wasn't a pretty sight when I got there. Shot him at about 300 yrds. What I was wondering is, what happened? Never had to put a second round in a yote before and now......! Just want to have 'em clean dead, not in pain for too long. Would a 20" barrel make that much a difference over a 26"? I really want to give this rifle a chance, but if I'm going to have to have a follow-up shot every time, it sucks.

Your suggestions, opinion and experience would be greatly appreciated to steer me in the right direction.

Here are a couple of pics!

This one ran 150 yards before expiring!

This one I won't show from the other side as it is pretty gruesome!

Happing hunting and thank you for your insights.

Canis
Shoot straight....or eat track soup
Qtiphky
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

Re: Tikka T3 Lite/Ruger M77 Mark II!

Post by Qtiphky »

A barrel that is 6 inches shorter will significantly reduce the velocity of the round. Some guys have said anywhere from 100-200 fps per inch of barrel. I would still think the round would be traveling fast enough to get bang flops, but obviously something is different. If that is true, you could be pushing the bullets around 3100 fps, which may be too slow for that particular bullet to do its job.

You should chrono the new gun and see what they are running.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I believe previous reports have stated that 23 inches is the optimal length for the 204 barrel. If everything else has remained the same between the two rifles then speed and bullet placement are the only factors that I can think of. The H4895 powder should be temperature insensitive.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Canis Latrans

Post by Canis Latrans »

Qtiphky wrote:You should chrono the new gun and see what they are running.
I did shortly after this post. Made a mistake on original post above, bullet velocity with my Ruger was 3978 ft/sec. In my Tikka, I got 3653 ft/sec. (5 shot average), so a loss of 325 ft/sec., does that make sense to you guys?

Do you know if there's an optimum velocity at which the 35 gr. Berger performs best in terms of penetration and expansion?

Tried a new recipe with Benchmark powder, got some nice groups, but velocity was at best just below 3500 ft/sec. I'm not normally too fussy on velocity if I have good accuracy, but bullet performance has changed and I don't like what it's doing to coyotes.

Thanks for your insights.

Happy hunting.

Canis
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

FWIW, I just bought some factory Hornady 45 gr. SP rounds for my sporter .204 on coyotes this winter; haven't killed any yet, though, to see how they work.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Canis Latrans--I'm not surprised at the 325 fps loss in velocity going from a 26" barrel to a 20" barrel. Personally, while you may have enough foot pounds of energy to knock coyotes down, I think you'd benefit from getting the velocity back up there in the 4,000 fps range.

There's a fellow out in Idaho who was doing animal damage control for a living and shooting the 35 gr. FBHP Bergers out of his .20 Tactical at 4,200 fps and he said he had phenomenal killing power, yet not much fur damage. I ran my 35 gr. FBHP Berger bullets at about that same speed out of my Savage 12VLP in .204 Ruger and had excellent results.

My load was WAAAAY HOT!!!! but it worked in my rifle. It is not a load I would use when outside temperatures get much above freezing!!! I got excellent accuracy out of this load too. Here's a target shot at 100 yards with a Harris bipod for the front rest and a rabbit-ear sand bag for a rear rest from a scope adjustment session back in January of 2006.

It was deadly on coyotes, but once again, if you don't hit them in the proper spots, you are going to have runners with lots of different calibers.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I like the 32gr Vmax bullets I shoot 20" barrels. I also use the 34gr Dog town bullets they are a little tuffer. I have had no runners. Keep your shots up front. Try a 32gr Vmax they go in and don't come out drops them dead.
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

canis,
You could PM Gube, I'm sure he shoots a Tikka T3 lite synthetic with 35 gr bergers as his favored bullet for yotes with good results. If he sees your post he will reply anyway.
Regards,Ken. :D
' Pay it forward buddy '
Canis Latrans

Post by Canis Latrans »

kenbrofox wrote:canis,
You could PM Gube, I'm sure he shoots a Tikka T3 lite synthetic with 35 gr bergers as his favored bullet for yotes with good results. If he sees your post he will reply anyway.
Already did that 8), really nice guy and very helpful . Gave me his Benchmark recipe. Haven't been out in a while. Will keep this post updated whenever I do.

Cheers!
my204custom
.204 Ruger Guns: Pac-Nor 204 custom

Post by my204custom »

i have a 26 inch Pac Nor barrel an I ben using a 32 grain Vmax an I got one coyote he was around 250 yards an he didnt moved an to shot him in the shoulder
SongDogMB
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77 Target Varmint

Post by SongDogMB »

I have a ruger 77 mII as well with a 26 barrel and would like to cut it down to about 23 but am scared to lose what i have right now pulled off some pretty amazing shots so far. with only owning it for about 5 months have 17 dogs down. the reason would be to ride a little easier beside me in our area run and gun is the only way and have little time if any to steady. but would hate to get what is being said.
my204custom
.204 Ruger Guns: Pac-Nor 204 custom

Post by my204custom »

Pac-Nor can make u a barrel tell them what gun you have an all u have to do is thread it-- tell them u have a stock one an they can match it but your stock may be off a lil though---
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

kenbrofox wrote:canis,
Yeah, I have discussed with Canis. Not to sure what the problem could be. I've smacked quite a few dogs with the 35 gr berger and the T3 lite and have not had any problems. Usually DRT or a couple of spins and done. I did have one "runner" 2 years ago with the 35 berger using my VLP. Shot him broadside at about 60 yards and he ran just under 100 yds before expiring. Small entrance in and out and looks like it did not expand. I know of another fella from the Predator hunt Canada web site that lost a few using the 35's but from fairly close ranges of about 35 to 50 yds. He was using an M7 Predator in 204, with 35 gr Berger over 28 gr of H4895.
One possibility could be a bad batch of bullets?
Will have to see how the "benchmark" loads go.
Keep us posted Canis.
Savage Vaporizer
Flash
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington SPS

Post by Flash »

So what's the verdict on the Tikka Lite? My buddy is getting ready to join the 204 club and was considering it and a Weatherby. Suggestions? The tikka seemed nice but never talked to anyone who has shot one and my buddies biggest hold off on a 204 was he is worried it doesn't have coyote killing power.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Flash: You don't list your location, but if your buddy lives in Canada, he's in good shape for a Tikka T3 in 204R. If he lives here in the U.S., bummer, as they're not imported into the USA for some goofy reason. Sako/Tikka would sell a boatload of T3 Lites in 204R if they did.......one of them to me. :?

Oh, and have your buddy cruise some old posts here about coyotes and the 204R. There's some very good photos of some of the results.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails