a few yotes and a deer

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

a few yotes and a deer

Post by ryutzy »

Finally I think I figured out how to post photos. Hope they are the proper size etc. I'm sorry the photo quality isn't that good. These are cell phone pics.
I called this coyote out of a small woodlot. I was using a rabbit distress call and I gave about two short series of calls and this small female showed up in about three minutes. I shot her at 82 yards with my AR 204 Ruger using a 39grain SBK pushed by 27.8 grains of H4895. It was a BANG-FLOP!! kill. :mrgreen: Gotta love those! I do believe that this is by far the smallest coyote I have ever shot. It was a youngun.
I was on my way back from dropping off my meatsickle at a new coyote hotspot when I jumped this big male out of the cornfield. My 204 once again did the trick. Dropped him on the run after missing the first shot. LOL somehow I have a knack for missing the easy shot but then I get them on the run. I guess as long as I get them its all good.
Here is the buck I shot this year in bow season. Shot him at 7 yards and I watched him drop from my stand. I used the buck bomb and a doe bleat and he actually left two does and came over. He must have already bred those does I guess. I never thought that he would leave them. He's an ok buck, not as mature as I wish he'd be. I should have maybe let him go one more year.

I will have many more photos to follow, I just need time to post them.
Last edited by ryutzy on Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Re: a few yotes and a deer

Post by Gube »

Nice shooting. I guess those AR's are nice for those quick follow up shots. Nice archery "whitey" too.
Savage Vaporizer
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Very COOL!
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Those coyotes are nice. Congrarulations on those AND that dandy Ohio white tail buck. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Nice job on the both of them. Any buck is better than no buck i would have not let him pass either.
TXNinVA
.204 Ruger Guns: None...yet

Post by TXNinVA »

Good job all around!
GTOHunter

Post by GTOHunter »

Nice shooting on the Coyotes...I think that Buck is a "Keeper"..He looks pretty big to me! :D ;)

What caliber Rifle did You shoot him with....looks like a pretty decent entry hole to me! :chin:
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

GTOHunter wrote:What caliber Rifle did You shoot him with....looks like a pretty decent entry hole to me! :chin:
He said he used his bow at 7 yards............that hole is most likely from a 3/8" diameter arrow....... :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

GTO As Rick mentioned, I used a bow and I was shooting a Rage broadhead with a 2" cutting diameter. Yes, It's VERY lethal. I watched him fall from my stand as he did not go far at all.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
GTOHunter

Post by GTOHunter »

I should have figure since You said You shot the Buck at 7 yards it was a close encounter with a Bow! :wall: ;) :D those Rage Broadheads do some serious damage for sure...I'm shooting HellRazor fixed broadheads in my Jennings Rackmaster Bow.

I missed a nice 8-Pointer this past October,miss judged the distance and shot under him,he ran a little forward and circled to the left...I shot again and hit the dirt under him and he just tricky trotted off and worked a scrape and disapeared into the woods! :eew: :wall: Since then I pack my range finder with me and I ranged a few distances ahead of time so I wouldn't make the same mistake twice...had a young Spike run up and past my stand a few days later but I let him walk.