Dang son claimed my 204 AR- Killed a Yote

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: 4-Rem 204's ,20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Dang son claimed my 204 AR- Killed a Yote

Post by hemiallen »

:D

I picked up my 3rd 204 Ruger about a year ago, it is a DPMS 204 SST blackened-fluted 24" tube, weight is right at 13# with the heavy butt and bipod. Has a JP trigger at 2 1/2#, pretty crisp for a semi gun.

I have some loads that it likes, Varget and 40 grain ballistic tips, which DPMS says won't shoot well in this gun... I have a couple of sub 3/4" 5 shot groups that says she likes them ok....

So the story is he was checking out a local Walnut orchard for Ground squirrels and he had seen Yote dens in the field. 2 Days before he shot this dog, he is driving the 4 wheeler and Dad's black lab is out a few hundred yards in front, he hears her yelp and speeds up to see her and a yote squared off, and got in a good kick to the yote before realizing they were all around....

He waits 2 days, chooses my 204 ar ( best sighted in gun for the area that I have- plus the follow up ability) and heads out without me..... Found a yote between grape rows, and sneaks a ballistic tip into it's ear ( well, almost) and it does a flop-dead. We went out last night, and saw 2 adults and one pup, but no clean shots presented themselves. Turns out she was at 105 yds.

hemiallen

Re: Dang son claimed my 204 AR- Killed a Yote

Post by hemiallen »

stein
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 ar-15 frankenstein.

Post by stein »

fantastic work clap him on the back for all of us!
hemiallen

Post by hemiallen »

LOL

I'd like to on the back of the head...lol

Yea, he's a good kid, Firefighter by day, works the vineyard with Dad on his off days.... and borrows my best guns whenever he wants...

I can't wait for retirement, fishing and hunting partner.....

We noticed there are NO jackrabitts, have seena few covies of Quail, but most other critters have been decimated by this pack, 'bout time to change that....

Allen
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

beautiful shot!
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
fishy
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by fishy »

Nice shooting!! :wtg:

I should have got 2 myself today! I was heading to an archery shoot in Broken Bow NE but had to stop at the in-laws farm on the way. As I am driving down there lane, I see 2 of them out in there alfalfa. I dont have a gun in the truck so I call the father in law. He was at church already, so I couldn't get ahold of him and I dont have the key to his gun cabinet. :wall: Needless to say those 2 walked today. Next time they wont be so lucky.
GTOHunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by GTOHunter »

Nice Shooting...keep after those Coyotes,they can put a big dent in the Turkey,Quail and Fawn/Deer population!I sat out this evening in a fresh cut Hay and CRP Feild but didn't have any Coyotes come in........I'll stay at it til I connect a Coyote with my Browning .243 Rifle.Plan on ordering me a .204 as soon as I can get to my Gun Dealer.

Looks like You have some nice thick Grapes there....I bet the Deer like to hit those when they are ripe! :D ;)
hemiallen

Post by hemiallen »

Yes, we need to keep on them, soon.

All the Jack's are gone, so no plinking for my grandson, quail are coming back, but the yotes will get them.

The closest river is 3 miles from us, and deer usually don't make it this far from the river, using others vineyards...but we did see 2 does about 7 years ago that got hit 1 mile farther from the river, down the road... car hit.

The grape set looks good this year, plenty of foliage from the wet spring to reduce burn when we get 100+ days.

Keep drinking Chardonnay, especially Gallo's Turning Leaf..... which is what our grapes are crushed to make.

Allen
GTOHunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by GTOHunter »

OK HemiAllen...I'll tell my Wife You gave me permission...I do love the Wine! :D ;)

What State are You in HemiAllen? :huh:

We have several nice Wineries here around us in Missouri...they seem to Pop up more and more lately.Lets see,just to name a few favorites that are pretty close by and they usually serve Food and have Entertainment....or You can bring Your own Picnic Basket too. Crown Valley,Chaumette,Charlieville,Vance Vinyards,Hemmann Winery and Tower Rock! :wink:
hemiallen

Post by hemiallen »

Sorry, Northern California.

There are a lot of really good wineries around the country these days... wish fermented Alcohol didn't give me bad headaches, even grain alcohol screws with me and I get migraines.

Pretty cool they allow picnicks and/ or food, around here farmers with 40 acres buy grapes from others to suppliment and blend, take an old farmhouse or build a nice building and sell trinkets and become profitable business'. At 20 acres and full time jobs, a winery is out of the equation.... but retirement is just around the door...

I was in Rochester NY last week, lots of Wineries there also, and another Lodi in the finger lakes area just east of Watkins Glen.

Cheers

Allen
Last edited by hemiallen on Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

'Wish I saw this thread earlier!!

'Next time you're in Rochester, see if you can visit Biekirch's Gun shop on Linden Ave. Fantastic shop. Great staff, especially Dave behind the counter.

There's this other shop that's just a few minutes from my house. The operators alwyas treat me (low sales potential) like a scum bag even though every time I come in I buy something :huh: . Usually something like a can of powder, or a box of primers, etc. Then I see them yuk it up, back-slap and stroke they guys that are much more able to blow a wad than I. Maybe I shouldn't have entered their store in barn boots?

I now just make the 2hr trip to Biekirch's rather than put up with that anymore :D.
hemiallen

Post by hemiallen »

Wow, Thant is interesting.

I usually go to American sportsman to see my Corvette buddy, but never could find Beikirch, my GPS said it was north of the park and at the tracks....

I'll have to go there next month. I will be in Rochester the 11th to 14th.

Thanks for the heads up

Allen
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

Yeah, a little bit of a rant there, sorry about that. Linden ave for Beikirch's!

I see I've been spelling it wrong all this time...

http://www.beikirchs.com/
hemiallen

Post by hemiallen »

Sorry

My wow was for something else. When I started going to U of R Laser facility ~2 yrs ago I couldn't locate the facility and only go to American, and a gun store down on Rt 332 east of Victor. Sometimes I stay there to go to the gun store, Antiques on 332 and canandagua for a Philly cheese steak ( although they have another store there by American sports just west on that street...

I also have a confession, I love the Italian beef in Chicago airport, worked at Argonne labs 2 months ago and nobody could beat the airport Italian beef, for my taste.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I have no problems with your story, and thanks again for the tip. BTW in JanuaryI drove down to PA to visit Grice...

Allen
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

Nope, you're fine.. its just me, LOL!!