Nebraska 2011 trip

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Nebraska 2011 trip

Post by Melvin Eades »

I’m late getting our Neb. Trip posted, but it has been a very busy summer around here. Back on May 26th, Clint, Lucas and I headed for Nebraska to meet up with our friend Dave to shoot some prairie dogs. Due to some work schedules, we weren’t able to leave till around 7 pm and drove through the night and met up with Dave at his mother’s house around 4 am. We all laid down for a while to catch some sleep to wake up a few hours later to light rain.
We ate and headed out to one place and ended up sitting in the vehicles for a while for it to quit. Around mid morning the rain quit and a few dogs started coming out. We got in a few shots and eventually the sun came out and so did the dogs. The wind made it hard to hit anything out past 400 yards and made some 300-400 yard shots interesting.

The second day started with a light mist but we wanted to get out to this other place before someone else got there. There was a dog now and then that would come out and we would shoot them but it wasn’t till later in the morning before they really started coming out. Around noon, two trucks showed up on top of one of the hills to the north in the pasture and sat for awhile watching us. It was some guys wanting to shoot the area. They finally left only to show up on the hill to the south of us. Six guys got out and stood there for a while then one of the guys drove down to talk to us. They decided they would shoot one of the draws we were already set up on. The town isn’t very big and we could cover the whole area from where we were set up but it didn’t seem to bother them. We looked up on the hill at times and concluded they drank more beer than they did shooting dogs.
The weekend was cool and damp and one afternoon it warmed up enough for a while that we got down to our tee shirts, but not for long. The dog town and the population was down from last year and other people have started hitting the area. We’re not sure how much longer we are going to have a place to shoot. Lucas was breaking in his new CZ 527 American in .204 and his new Rem. (ISP model 799) in 22-250. We wanted him to take the first shots with them and he told us he wasn’t a very good shot but he hit five of the first seven he shot at out beyond 150 yards.

Here's where we were setup and could shoot up four different draws.

Here's some of the country we were shooting.

Here's me (on the cell phone), Lucas and Dave as we were taking a break.

Here are a few dogs Clint shot with his Savage M12FV in 22-250 out past 300 yards. Little targets, aren't they?

Here's his Ruger in .204.

The story wouldn't be complete without a few dogs posing for the camera.

Here's Lucas out checking some of his hits.

The weekend before we left, I was checking my guns and was shooting my Savage M12VLP in .204 with 32 grain Hornady's at the 100 yard back stop. I had just got it dialed in and was going to zero it at the 200 yard back stop when I noticed a dark spot on an old target at the 100 yard back stop. A fly had landed on it so I thought I would take a shot at it. I cranked the scope up to 24X and the instant I shot, I saw a
splatter on the target. Flies really are made up of blood and guts and here's the proof. The squares on the target are 1/2".

Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Re: Nebraska 2011 trip

Post by ryutzy »

Thanks for the posting. I enjoyed reading it. I especially enjoyed the fly shot! Awesome!
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

WAYYY TOOO GOOOO! I have been waiting for the write up for a ............... long time LOL
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Great post and pics. I like the fly guts too :lol: One of my shooting buddies shoots yellow jackets at 22 yards with his pellet gun, just to keep his shooting skills up to par!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Great post. Thanks for taking the time to put up the photos and the story. I love those internal organ photos!!! :wink:
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
dancindave89
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by dancindave89 »

Had another great year with my friends. Was glad Lucas made it out. Clint and I had a blast shooting the dogs out from under the beer drinking wanna be hunters. Made some hits past 500 yds. Although the weather didn't cooperate, I still had a great time with my friends. I never knew what kind of a friend I was gonna make all those years ago when I answered a request from a guy in Illinois looking to shoot p-dogs. Melvin, I am so glad to have met you and your family. Looking forward to seeing you and Linda in August. Hope to get her, her first p-dog kill. I have so many great memories. Can't wait to make some more with you guys.
Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Varmint Hunters Assoc.
NWTF
Varmint Hunter Extraordinare
Dancindave Zwiener
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

I have always thought about "man that would be cool if a fly landed on my target" and you did it!! NICELY DONE!!!!!
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
moorepower
.204 Ruger Guns: LRPV

Post by moorepower »

Did the V-Max expand upon hitting the fly, or did it fail to expand.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

moorepower,

That is a good question, but I'd bet that fly didn't know what hit it!
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
btlbrn
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by btlbrn »

moorepower wrote:Did the V-Max expand upon hitting the fly, or did it fail to expand.
Well the fly certainly expanded :eek:
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve