Shot a pair this morning

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Shot a pair this morning

Post by ryutzy »

So I got up early this morning to go to church early to set up for our kids Sunday School. Well I looked out our kitchen window towards my baitpile and whatayaknow! two coyotes were on their way to it. I grabbed my 204, steadied my gun against my truck and commenced to fireing. The baitpile in front of my house is exactly at 350 yards. I put my crosshair on the first coyote and let one fly. I thought I heard the impact, and the coyote's yelp confirmed the hit. I immediately focused my attention to the other coyote trying to make it's gettaway. I shot a time or two and didn't connect. I then saw that the coyote was slowing up a lil so I waited and sure enough she stopped to look back. She was quartering to me and I put the crosshair on her head and let her have it. The impact was probably the loudest I have ever heard on a coyote. Maybe because it was such a cold quiet morning or maybe because it was a headshot that made it so loud. Whatever the case, she dropped like a rock.

Well folks, I now have my first runner with a 204. The first coyote was making a beeline for a state highway a halfmile to the Northwest. I hopped in my truck and drove down to my parents house and parked in their lane hoping for a shot. The coyote turned around and headed right for me. Something apparently forced the coyote back. I thought I had made a good shot on the first coyote and was surprised he was still going. I could see through my scope that the side of the coyote was all bloody, then I saw it, the gut was hanging out. WOW this was a tough one! I shot a time or two then saw that he was running out of gas, so I drove my truck out into the field to the coyote and put the finishing round into him. He was obviously out of gas, but I thought I'd end it quicker with the extra shot.

On my first shot at 350 yards He was quartered to me. I hit him just a little low and a little back thus creating the nasty gut shot. This was my first runner for the 204 for me although it was mostly due to shooter error. I doubt he would have moved to much with my .243 though.

I shot the female around 280 yards. I forgot to range her. I put the bloody side of her head down for the pic, it was messy. On the male you can see his gut hanging.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Re: Shot a pair this morning

Post by Song Dog »

HEY! Thats awesome! I see some inards WTG!
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

WOW!!!! You sure gave that male a nasty looking wound, but I'm glad you were able to chase him down and put him out of his misery.

Thanks for posting the story and photo!
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

Sweet! I love it, a Sunday school teacher doing 2 great things:

1) going in early to prepare
2) killing coyotes before class!!

Good job on both counts!
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

Don't you just love it when the unexpected comes together? Congratulations on the long shots.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

WTG Ryutzy. You got two down so dont worry we all make bad shots every now and then .
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

The first fox I ever shot was a gut shot, at 10 yds :lol:
Found him 50 yds away, "sleeping" under a tree
You're gunna get 'em sometimes.
You could hit your paper target all day no worries, but in the heat of the hunt, everything changes
Main thing is you finished it - and got some pics for us :wtg: