204 coyote bullet advise

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
rugermk2
.204 Ruger Guns: cz 527 american

204 coyote bullet advise

Post by rugermk2 »

First off just like to say hello, I've been reading on this site for about a month but this is my first time posting. I recently bought a cz 527 204, and after doing alot of reading decided that I would start off trying out the 35 grain bergers for my first loads. I mainly hunt coyotes in central Missouri but thought it would be nice to have a bullet that I could also take a bobcat without destroying the hide. I am still waiting on the rest of my dies and brass to come in so I bought a box of HSM factory ammo using the 35 grain bergers to get me going. I have had the gun out twice so far, and the first setup shot a coyote at around 150. The coyote ran about 80 yards but I eventually found it and realized that I'd put a bad shot on the dog, so I wasn't too worried still. This morning I had one come in and hang up around 250. The first shot I had was facing straight towards me, so I shot and at the crack of the gun he rolled but got up and started to spin. I went ahead and put one more in him, and again he started spinning and rolling back down the hill out of sight. I tracked the dog a little over 100 yards following blood the whole way before giving up on him. Is this bullet not enough for a decent sized dog, or am I just having some bad luck. Worst part is I already ordered 100 35 grain bergers that are on there way to my house today. Hopefully not a waste of money. Please help.
Thanks,
Anthony
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: 204 coyote bullet advise

Post by RAMOS »

I use the 39SBK's and have been quite satisfied with them. I know quite a few guys are using the 35 Bergers and are doing well with them. I don't have anything against them, just happened to try the others first based on local availability. I think your bullet is a good choice, just make sure the placement gets good penetration in to the boiler room (heart/lungs).
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

You should give our custom 20 caliber 37 grain bullets a try. I gurantee if will anchor a coyote no problem as long as you have proper shot placement. Our bullets cost about the same as the berger and will provide you with better accuracy, and a much higher BC for the longer range shots. Here is a link to the webpage: http://www.customreloadingtools.com/crt_016.htm
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Rugermk2,
Wirelessguy has good advice, if you want to try something other than what you already have. Be forewarned, he also has a bunch of other great stuff on his website!
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

rugermk2--The 35 gr. FBHP Bergers worked well for me on coyotes on shots all the way from almost at the end of the gun barrel on out to 300 yards. I know I don't have to tell you this, but I'll add it anyway: Bullet placement with just about any projectile is paramount. My guess would be that you haven't been hitting your coyotes in a lethal spot. However, coyotes have an overpowering will to live and sometimes when they get hit with a bullet their adrenalin kicks in and they can go a long ways even though they are really dead on their feet.

Most of my kills with the 35 gr. Bergers were either dead on the spot, or they did a few spins and keeled over. I did have a few runners, but that was usually when I hit them on the edges and not in the boiler room. Just keep on using the 35 gr. Bergers and make sure you place the bullet in the heart/lung area.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
evansvlp
.204 Ruger Guns: savage 12 vlp

Post by evansvlp »

39gr bk's are the best i have ever shot havent had one run yet. I used to shoot 32gr v-max i would have a lot of runners but i found all of them just took a few shots sometimes.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Stick with what you have........if you want to change try CRTs (wirelessguys) 37 grain bullet. I wouldn't give up yet. Make sure your shots hit the vitals and you will be ok. 250 yards is a decent shot in a hunting environment and you may have been slightly off left or right and got the shoulder on that head on shot instead of the boilerroom. Itl get better!!
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I have taken them with the Berger's, v-max, noslers and I believe CRT's would do as good. You are fine with what you have, I agree with others here that have said you may have been just slightly off. Any of those bullets in the heart/lung area will put them down. Bill K
K22

Post by K22 »

I agree with Silverfox and ryutyz. The 35's work great and so do the 37's by CRT.

I had my first runner for the year too. It was running flat out coming to the Call, and was running flat out when leaving the area. I missed him 3 times while he was running. He would not stop at all. :wall: :lol:
kevin204
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77

Post by kevin204 »

I would say that you are fine with the 35's also. I shot them out of my Ruger M77, and was very happy with the groups. I normally shoot the 39 BK's, actually today on the way to work I unleashed the 204 on a Yote at 280 yards. Dropped him right there, not sure where I hit him because it was out over a pond that has some open water between the Yote and I. Have to go in the morning when it is light out to check on the damage....Needless to say he isnt going anywhere !!