Coyote Down...

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
kevin204
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77

Coyote Down...

Post by kevin204 »

On my way to work yesterday I have to drive by a Lake that someone put a couple dead Calves on. There has been a Coyote hanging around at different times of the day, morning, afternoon, evening etc. A couple weeks ago I almost had a shot at him across the lake, but couldn't get a real good shot because of his tree branches. Well, yesterday He wasn't so lucky!! As I was driving along side the Lake I could see the Calves up ahead and noticed that there was a Coyote eating off of it. So I slowed down and pulled into the parking area, retrieved my rifle from behind my seat, Loaded it and grabbed my shooting sticks. By this time the Coyote knew something was up and got off the Ice to the shore line where he thought he was safe. Good thing I ranged that shore last time I seen him. Yup 280 yards is what I remember...(This is in Vermont, 10 feet from road is legal) Well out of the truck, over to the bank, setup up sticks, get a good hold, Let fly.....Coyote drops right there !!!!..Sweet!!. Back to the truck, put rifle away, grab Bino's to take a look..What where did he go??? Oh wait there he is..He slid off the shore and back on to the edge of the Ice. OK, good he's down, but still flopping a little. Couple seconds later he's dead. I got 15 minutes to get to work...Crap! so I figure I'll just come back and get him in the morning. This lake is used to generate power, and with warm weather and the current flows from power plant make the edges kinda, well not all that frozen.....So this morning I went back to retrieve the Coyote, as I get to where I shot him there was blood, but couldn't see the Coyote. I said to my hunting partner (aka. DAD) He should be right here !!! As i look around I notice something frozen in the newly froze over water on the shore edge. (temps. lastnight 15deg.) Dad is that him? Yup it sure was !! Just a little bit of his back was sticking out of the water. Anyways I got across to the shore and was able to chip him out and get him to shore. Looks like I hit him just a tad high. 2-3 inches higher then perfect, but the 39bk did the job!
Hope you enjoyed the story. And I know how much people love to see pictures, lol.

Him frozen in the Ice !!

Where he was when I shot him, chipped him out from the rocks in front of me and dragged him back up to there.

Ranged it after at 264 to the bottom of the bank I was standing on....So about 270ish..

Kevin204
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Coyote Down...

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Nice shot Kevin!

What a great trip to work, eh? Don't we all wish going to work every day held neat little adventures like that one. Glad you were able to recover him from the ice. Bet you watch that spot every day from now on! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

NIIICE!!
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

Now THAT'S how to start the day!!! Good job, brudda!
kevin204
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77

Post by kevin204 »

Yes it was a great way to start work....And yes, I'm still watching that spot.....Co-worker heard some around 4am this morning, so there are still some around.