Coyote Head Shot

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
savageforlife
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 Lpv

Coyote Head Shot

Post by savageforlife »

I was out coyote hunting in Wyoming with my good buddy last week and we ended up calling in a nice yote. Called him in using a Primos critter Decoy and my fox pro with a combination of howls and a Prairie dog distress call. He came in at a steady run and as soon as i had him in my scope i gave him a bark and he stopped dead in his tracks and all i could see was his his face looking directly at me with the rest of his body covered by sage brush. As soon as he stopped i quickly knew this was going to be my only chance for a shot so centered the cross hairs and took a crack at him..... dropped him like a sack of rocks in his tracks. Ranged the distance at 109 yards after the shot. Upon retrieving him i was soon to find out my shot went directly into the eye socket with no damage to any part of the pelt whatsoever. Skinned him on the spot and thought it was pretty cool to see the internal damage of the head as there was no external damage. Literally nothing left of the skull or brain. I hope the Graphic content does not offend anyone, but hey what a great example of a quick humane kill;) Been obsessed with the 204 for 2 years now and im on my 5th 204. Shooting a 39 grain bk.

Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Re: Coyote Head Shot

Post by Vartarg »

Great job!!! Good shooting and an excellent report. How about a little more info on the rifle, scope, load, etc.etc..

George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
savageforlife
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 Lpv

Post by savageforlife »

Sure thing. Rifle is a Savage model 12 VLP. 26 inch stainless fluted heavy bull barrel with a laminated wood stock. I currently Have the accutrigger set at 2 pounds which is plenty light for me. its topped with a vortex diamondback 4-12 power scope. I simply cant say enough good about vortex optics, Love them! Shot with a 39 grain serria blitz king over 27.5 grains of IMR XBR 8208 with winchester primer and brass. This has been my go to load for 2 years now and all 3 of the savage 204s (3 different models) i have owned have shot 1/2 inch groups or better at 100 yards with it.
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Nice shooting mate :wtg:
Humane kill, and no pelt damage!
Sounds like you've got yourself a good rig.
Boisblancboy
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VS SF II

Post by Boisblancboy »

Great job! Nice looking gun you got there. I'm hoping my gun is going to shot the 39 BK well. Gets me excited seeing good kills like that!
.204 Remington 700 VS SF II
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

All I can say about that is AWESOME!!!!!
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
GTOHunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by GTOHunter »

Wow....nice shooting,and I got a headache just seeing what the .204 will do with a head-shot to a Coyote! :eew: :eek: :lol: :mrgreen:

Sweet looking Rifle..gotta love those Savages! :D ;)