Springtime Fun w/Skippy Pt II (Pics)

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
darchell
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varmint VLP

Re: Springtime Fun w/Skippy Pt II (Pics)

Post by darchell »

Rick, Sounds like fun. The only waving people here would be doing is with one finger :eek: To give you an idea, two years ago we had got lined up to do a drive and walked a road to get set up. We had items thrown at us and one guy almost got hit by someone swerving at us. Now mind you we were all armed and blowing a hole through her windshield would have been nice however, we are law abiding citizens and just ignored it. Guess the guys with the guns are not always the problem..... A lot different here on the East Coast.
long range dogr
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls

Post by long range dogr »

Looks like it was a great time! If you dont mind me asking ? What are the specs on the rifles used for the shoot?
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

Rick, most exellent! I get to shoot just like that myself.........at nite in bed, when the dreams kick in. Not like the real thing tho. :lol: KB
' Pay it forward buddy '
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

darchell: That's precicely why I could never live back there. No offense, but it's just way too crowded for guys like me who need room to roam about. Maybe there's a move in your future...... ;)

LR dogr: All those rifles are fully described here elsewhere, but the M700 204 is a fully blueprinted custom rig with a Jewell trigger, match chamber and 11 twist P/N barrel, the No.1 is a 223 also worked on w/Canjar single set trigger. We all also used various 17HMR's also; I used a CZ 452 Varmint with Brooks trigger this trip. If you poke around here, you'll see much more about them if you're interested.

Ken: I think a visit to the good ole USA may be in order for you, bud. Think of it as theraputic treatment for a malady you just can't shake..... :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

Our farmer said he will let us know when he cuts so we can get ready. Last year it was so hot after he cut that it wasn't that great . We will just have to wait and see. I got enough primers for abot 350 more rounds and i have that many loaded up now so i will be ok for this year if i can just find our primers. Good luck after the first cut i will post our results after.
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
long range dogr

Thank you! How do you like the P/N barrel? I have a 1/9 in my AR-15 and i love it!
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

LR Dogr: I've got 5 PN barrels from .17 to 6mm with stops in between, all are extremely accurate barrels. I'll most likely use them again when it's time for either a replacement barrel or a new project rifle. My longest rat shot is 841 yards using my 243 Ackley with a 10 twist Pac-Nor barrel in Montana.

My wife actually captured the moment as I was about to touch it off on yonder dog:

We all know who the top makers are, and Pac-Nor is right in there with the best of them. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

long range dogr

Rick,

Thats a great pic! My son and i are heading out to a town this weekend.I'll post some pics.
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

Rick, no plans to visit the USA in the near future, but i sure hope to come again before i turn into a grumpy ole man :lol:
' Pay it forward buddy '
Hando1978

Post by Hando1978 »

Boy I wish we could get the BR Pivot over here in OZ. I contacted my local shop today to see if they can get them in. We have a sole importer of Caldwell products who is looking into whether or not they can get it.

Thought about buying one and getting it sent from the US, but postage would be over $400. :eek:
Great pictures though, fantastic setup.

Geoff
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Geoff: During the time I had Varmint Masters LLC and was selling the BR Pivot, we exported about a dozen to Oz, north of Sydney, so 'yes', they CAN get there, and some indeed did about four years ago. You may want to contact Battenfield Technologies directly and inquire about export en masse, as if a bulk order is placed through your supplier, the cost of shipping is greatly diminished.

Good luck; once you use one, you're spoiled in the field forever.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Hando1978

Post by Hando1978 »

G'day Rick,

Well the importers got back to my LGS today with advice that they can get them in over here. Only downside is the timeframe for delivery 4-6 months ... and the price ... the dealer alone is going to have to pay $750 AU. So not likely to get out of it any cheaper than $850AU ($685us).

This shooting caper never ends, as am also about to order some of the Leupold Switch powers in 10/17!

Cheers,

Geoff
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Geoff, Switch-Powers eh? I tried the 10-17's, but they're really only suitable for tripod use, as holding any optic still hand-held with maganification above 12X is pretty tricky. I ended up with the 7-12's and don't regret it a bit, as they are much more field-friendly, and also smaller and lighter to boot. Do you have a need for such high magnification in a set of bino's?

Either way, you can't go wrong with a set of Gold Ring bino's. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Orion2see
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Varminter

Post by Orion2see »

Great pics, Rick - shooting from the elevated trailer bed had to be fun. Did you have your new Cooper with you on this trip or was that a later acquisition? I have 4 Coopers (.204, .22-250, 6mm BR, and .260) and all shoot great. My only wish is that they come with a lighter trigger, but that is just me.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Orion: The trip featured in this post occured just prior to my Cooper coming home. Matter of fact, I found her on the way home from this trip when we stopped at Nosler to cruise the Pro Shop. That's always an expensive visit.

I agree on the Cooper trigger issue, tweaked mine to as light as it really should be for safety, but it's still heavier than I like for bench work..... It'd be fine if this was a walkabout rifle though.

This post shows the new Cooper ("Rosa").

http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic ... 276#p51276

Everyone warned me...."once you get a Cooper, you'll want another"........ I hate it when they're right. :?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA