My First Video

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
geoff23
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger hb target vt1

My First Video

Post by geoff23 »

Hi all, Happen to take my cam corder along for a rabbit shoot!. First time with a cam corder , so not the best!
60+ rabbits shot in all. Hope this link works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UwLXT2_zd4&feature=plcp
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Re: My First Video

Post by Bodei »

Great we need more varmint videos. Nice country you have there! Check out my squirrel shooting vids on youtube. Search "sshooter444" Keep em coming.
K = ½mv2
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Nice playground Geoff
Thanks for posting
geoff23

Post by geoff23 »

Thanks guys! Keen to have another go, I,m sure I can step it up a notch, As next time I,ll take a few vid,s .Then hopefully piece them together with window 7 live movie maker. Very much A beginner at video thing, Is movie maker my best bet, or would you recommend another program. Had look at your you-tube vid , Impressive, those wee fellows sure do fly!
Thanks
KiwiMonkey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 VLP

Post by KiwiMonkey »

Nice spot :)

Never shot any bunnies around there but cleaned out a mob of goats down in Deep Stream last year, not too far away.
Savage 12-VLP .204
Savage MkIIF(B)SS .22LR
Ruger Hawkeye .308
geoff23

Post by geoff23 »

Only about an hour,s drive from home, so not to far! Hopefully I,ll get away for another look around in a few weeks. Don,t get out much as I would like, as the kids keep me busy in the weekends! ,two and a four year old. :(
Do you think around the middlemarch area is worth a look. Always looking for new spots of course!
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Thanks for the video. Sixty rabbits is a great day of trigger time. Can you tell us more about the suppressor?
Please, no Sidewinder today!
KiwiMonkey

Post by KiwiMonkey »

geoff23 wrote: Do you think around the middlemarch area is worth a look. Always looking for new spots of course!
Most places are worth trying at least once! Probably more hares than rabbits if you're going up into the hills around Middlemarch. Highest bunny numbers I've shot are around Cromwell and the hills near Mandeville, not uncommon to go for an afternoon walk with 22s and get 30+ each.

Wallabies are great fun to knock over too, can be found on most public land or farms in the South Canterbury foothills (especially around Waimate) - the buggers are spreading pretty fast at the moment.

Its a few months since I shot anything at all though, getting withdrawals!
Savage 12-VLP .204
Savage MkIIF(B)SS .22LR
Ruger Hawkeye .308
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

KiwiMonkey wrote: .....
Wallabies are great fun to knock over too...
Wallabies?? In NZ?
Didn't realise you guys had any there. Do you know if they're the same species we have?
Kangaroo Island (just off the coast from Adelaide) is plagued with them. :lol: Should've been called Wallaby island
KiwiMonkey

Post by KiwiMonkey »

We have a few different species, as far as I know they're all Aussie imports and major pests. The ones we have in the South Island are Bennett's Wallaby, North Island ones are smaller species like Damas. Remarkably good eating though, give the back legs a long slow roast and they come up really nice and tender.

Them along with Possums mean two of our worst pests are Aussies! ;)
Savage 12-VLP .204
Savage MkIIF(B)SS .22LR
Ruger Hawkeye .308
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

KiwiMonkey wrote:Them along with Possums mean two of our worst pests are Aussies! ;)
We have a similar problem here with Kiwi pests - my boss, the missus' boss, previous owner of our paddock :lol: :lol:
I tried a wallaby burger when we did a trip down to Tassie - Amazing!! Couldn't get the recipe off the chef though :(
bazz
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka

Post by bazz »

Sth Oz Dan wrote:
KiwiMonkey wrote:Them along with Possums mean two of our worst pests are Aussies! ;)
We have a similar problem here with Kiwi pests - my boss, the missus' boss, previous owner of our paddock :lol: :lol:
I tried a wallaby burger when we did a trip down to Tassie - Amazing!! Couldn't get the recipe off the chef though :(
age the roo well then buy some hamburger helper grated carrot and onion and some diced bacon throw together and follow packet directions and fire up the barbie cheers bazz
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Sounds good Bazz. Got any deer recipes to share? Got 2 hanging in the neighbour's coolroom to cut tomorrow. MMM can't wait.

Sorry about getting off topic there Geoff. Been back out with the camera lately?
bazz
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka

Post by bazz »

lets see well i make bergers , spicy sausages there good , pickled venison , venison pastrami thats to die for , venison salami , eye fillets as venison Wellington back straps as steaks or bashed and egg and bread crumbed as snitzles they melt in your mouth , just remember it takes 24 hours for an animal to go into rigamortis and 48 hours to start coming out and best after 11 days if you want any recipes just holla perhaps that would make a good sticky a recipe page cheers bazz
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

I'm up for that - recipe thread.
Don't know that there's much you could do with a ground squirrel once the 204's taken to it, but I'm sure there's plenty of ideas out there for lots of other game.

We hung the last deer in the neighbours' coolroom for 10 days and had a butcher friend do the hard work for us :D
2 big hinds cut, bagged, and in the freezer in 3 hrs.

I have about 25-30kg of trims to make into snags or salami. So any ideas on flavour combos are welcome