Coyote Loads

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
txduckhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500

Coyote Loads

Post by txduckhunter »

Hey everybody. I'm new to the 204. Picked up a Howa 1500 Supreme. I primarily hunt coyotes and am in Central TX.

I have had my 204 and so far just shot the 40 grain VMax and 32 grain. The 32 group much better, but i am not impressed by the impact. The only other factory loads I have found locally are the Remington 32 grains. Has anybody shot those? What did you think?

Also does anybody have any ideas or advice on other factory ammo and where to buy?

I may just end up having to reload.

What have y'all decided is the best round for coyotes?

Thanks
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: Coyote Loads

Post by Glen »

Click the .204 AMMO link at the very top right of the page.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by sharptailhunter »

TDH, Welcome to the world of the 204R! As for factory loads your most popular choices are either the 32 or 40grs. I've been told that the Remington bullets are just Hornady V-Maxes with a funky green tip. I've shot the factory Remington 40gr and they shot well. As for lethality, I think you'd be fine with the 32s. Of course more important with any load is proper shot placement. There are some that say a shoulder hit will result in a splash hit with the 32s. Others swear by em for coyotes, small entrance with no exit. Either way, it's a fun round to shoot. Reloading adds even more fun to it in my opinion. One thing to consider is if you're gonna reload you'd be better off buying the Remington factory rounds andsavi g your brass over saving the Hornady brass.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

If you want the best bullet available for coyotes and the 204R, you had best plan on reloading. The bullet you want is the 35 grain Berger Match Hollow Point or the 37 grain Hollow Point from Brad at CRT (see sponsor link, above).
bang bang
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage m10 max1

Post by bang bang »

HSM makes factory 204 loads with Sierra, Berger, Cahoon and hornady bullets at a fair price. I also agree that the 35gr Bergers are where it's at for coyotes. I still want to try the 37gr from CRT also, they sound great. Good luck.