2013 Ground Squirrel Memories (plenty of pictures)

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

2013 Ground Squirrel Memories (plenty of pictures)

Post by Jim White »

My trip started out early on a Wednesday morning from Portland Or. After a short drive down I-5 [through Salem], I started up over the Cascades Mountains via OR-22. Just east of Detroit Lake, I started the accent to Santiam Pass. My old war horse [ a 1992 Bronco] doesn’t have an outside temp gage inside but I was starting to notice the road was looking awfully wet, yet no spray was coming off the tires. Hmm… Fortunately, there weren’t many cars about so I just took my time and it wasn’t long before the scenery started to change.

It got whitier as I continued on.

Before long I was heading down the east side into the sun where the roads starting thawing out.

When I arrived on the east side I topped off the gas tank and gave Rick a shout. After many years we had finally met up with each other. We gathered a few things for the trip, had a cup of Joe and told some tall tales. Afterwards I headed on down range toward the gathering spot and spent the night.

We met the next morning had a nice breakfast and the festivities began. Here’s a picture of Old Glory waving proudly in the [stiff] breeze.

Here’s a picture of my old Man-O-War, a 1992 Bronco with 250K (+), the ole gal runs pretty darn good.

Here is my little CZ-527 American in 204 topped with a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 Rapid-Z Varmint reticle set up ready to go, complete with a hot thermos of coffee, a set of Leupold 7x12 switch power bino’s and a prescription of 39gr pills for Skippy and his pals.

With the CZ was cooling, out comes a pair of Remington M700 in 204 each one topped with Swarvoski 6-18x50 with the BR reticle, with the same prescription of 39 grain pills for skippy and his pals. Yep…I was the only one there who had neither a Leupold scope or a BR-Pivot bench [didn’t find out about them until after I got the RASS).

Here is Rick getting ready to deliver some bad news to skippy and all of of his “rat buddies”.

Here is Garth doing the same. Skippy was probably asking; "what ever happen to no news was good news"?

Here’s Dave and Garth taking a break for a photo opportunity and to letting their barrels.

As the evening wound down on the last day, four EORS members going on a walkabout with their rim fires (L-R…Gary, Rick, Garth, Dave). Rick if I recall, Dan had humped it back to Hilton for some lunch when this shot was snapped.

Before we left the field Dave tried out his new attire. When he squatted down next to the green belts he blended in quite well.

Afterwards, we shot the breeze and played with Dave’s toy-chest [Glocks] displays before parting our ways. Good time with good people…one couldn’t ask for anything more.

It was a long drive back across the Oregon high desert, over the mountains and down into the valley before reaching my final destination. The trip back was filled with some fond memories of finally meeting some of the finest folks one could ask and a memorable weekend in the rat-patch.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: 2013 Ground Squirrel Memories (plenty of pictures)

Post by Joe O »

Nice report and pics.Thanks Jim
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Nice write-up & pics Jim!! Glad you got to hook up with those guys. I would enjoy a day or 2 in those rat patches myself!!
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hey Jim....here's another shot of you having your way with Skippy and his pals with your 204 during our recent shoot:

Sure was a good trip. For us that is.....don't think Skippy had such a good time, but he did get to do some aerial displays he just learned! :wink:

And don't fret.....we won't dis-own you because you didn't have a Leupold or a BR Pivot. :lol: You 'jus be one o-the guys with whatever your brung! It's all good. (But we'll be watching you next year! :eek: )
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

Man, I love there posts... Thanks mucho!!
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Thanks for all the comments, it was definetly a good time. Except for one day, the weather was about as good as you can ask for in these parts of the woods. Around here, even east of the Cascades to some extent, the weather patterns can change on you pretty quick.

Now I gotta' start looking for a scope for my new 20VT. I actually had it in my hands for a few hours before handing it over to get a Cerekote finish. Hopefully I'll have it back in a few more weeks.

Jim
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Wow you guys are sure getting serious....ghillie suits? ;-)
K = ½mv2
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bodei wrote:Wow you guys are sure getting serious....ghillie suits? ;-)
Bodei: Nahhh, we don't shoot squirrels using ghillies, but Dave my son builds custom ghillies for SF operators on demand. He brought one with him to use when out for coyotes, and also for sitting in plain sight for ambushing badgers while we were sniping Skippy.

Here's one of his rigs out in the open desert recently:

Because of his job, Dave has contact with various operators in all theaters of conflict, so get lots of work from those guys making ghillies in every outdoor configuration you can think of, from desert sand to coastal jungle. Good stuff! :wink:

But for squirrels, it's just jeans and a t-shirt from the bench....nuthin' special to give Skippy his flying lessons. :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Jim ........Very very nice write up and photos. Glade your got to meet RIO and get to shoot with him, his sons and comrads. My dream some day to try and hook up with his group EORFS. Skippy might not like it, but sure others get feed.

Sounds like a grand time had by all. Thanks for sharing.

RIO you the group look as good as always. Right at home with Skippy and teaching him to fly!! Love your fling Flags.................truly American.

Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Hi Ray,

No doubt, it was a good time by all. When the shooting is good, its even better. I look forward to the spring coming around to resume those flying lessons.

Take care and good to hear from ya',

Jim