204 Fun in the Rat Patch

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

204 Fun in the Rat Patch

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I've been gone a while, got back and noticed that the forum has been pretty quiet lately, not much going on. As it's springtime (here at least, not everywhere), my crew and I have been in the field having our way with our favorite rodent, "Skippy the Flying Squirrel" and thought I'd share some of the fun with the forum members.

For just over a week, we were at a friends 2,800 acre cattle and alfalfa ranch south of here in the foothills of a local mountain range. Our host really enjoys "his shooters" coming to visit every springtime, and has installed five full RV hookups for our travel trailers....talk about hospitality! So we haul our trailers, enough food and drink for a Marine platoon, more rifles and ammo than a guy could possibly shoot in a week, and great DVD 'guy movies' for evening entertainment. It's about the most fun you can have with a rifle and friends.

One of our setups on a hill overlooking cattle pastures and alfalfa fields infested with ground squirrels. Shooting was from "danger close" rimfire pistol action, to rockchucks and badgers at a lasered 908 yards (more on that later), but mostly squirrels from 150 to 500~ yards......fun stuff.

Captqc at his bench with his Ruger No.3 in .22 K-Hornet giving Skippy flying lessons:

Another setup along a nice shady grove of trees at the edge of a 400+ acre alfalfa patch that looked down into a nice gentle draw.....all pocked with squirrel mounds. That's our member "futuretrades" with his Howa 204 on the left using his well-known 'wet-towel' barrel cooling method, "Captqc", and his son Dan, or "Rat Force One":

My bench setup in 'the grove', with my Cooper M38 20VT on duty. That little rifle did well out to just shy of 400 yards that day. From our evevated position, we could look down into the alfalfa to see the little buggers quite well. To say the shooting was excellent would be an understatement. See that wheel track in the field? The rats would hop out of the alfalfa and stand up in the track for a look-about......fatal mistake! There was alot of "boom-thwop" to be heard. :wink:

Our host and landowner is a real character to say the least. Gritty, foul of mouth, dirty, and much more intelligent than most casual observers give him credit for. When he pulled up to our bench setup in his little ranch-rig, a Suzuki Samuri, and hauled out a LIVE adult male badger by the hind leg from the back, we all had wide eyes, raised eyebrows and open mouths. The critter was growling, snapping his teeth, and generally making it known he was NOT happy. Our host had shot it from 150 yds with his truck-gun, a Savage 223, and only clipped his back, stunning him temporarily, thinking he was paralyzed. Maybe so, mabe not, but can you imagine a full-grown male badger 'coming to' with you in a dinky little Samuri? :eek: Now that would have been a tussle!

Once we finished our interview with Badger Bob, I dispatched him with my Kimber 22 conversion unit mounted on my Kimber CDP-II .45 frame:

Dan, or "Rat Force One" at his bench with his M700 223 shooting 50gr NBT's with Mt. Shasta in the background. I mention this, as Dan clipped a badger at a lasered 908 yards from our hilltop to a rock-strewn hillside on the far side of a wide open basin, hence the grin you see. 908 yards with a 50 grain out of a 223? Madness yes, but he did it, saw it myself!

During a barrel cooling session, "Lucy" my Basset Hound gets a chew-bone and an out of the truck respite (during shooting, she's in her bed, in the shade in the back of the cab):

This was one of the real treats of the trip. Our landowner buddy gained permission for us to shoot "secret valley", a patch of alfalfa infested with squirrels that had never been shot. This is the kind of stuff we live for, seldom get to see, but now it was ours! We had to 4WD up a steep trail through sage and juniper to get to this insolated plateau above the field. Once we got out of the trucks and glassed the mound complex below, we could not believe all the squirrels running about......literally hundreds!

The nearest mounds lasered right at 300 yards, the back fence was 508 yds. Out came the 20VT's, 204's and 223's.......This was barrel melt- down conditions!

Bench-toys: My CRT No.2 Bench Tray showing signs of having fun with my Cooper 20VT. Brad sure puts out some quality stuff for guys like us. :D

During all shooting, Old Glory and the dredded black flag of the EORFS flew proudly over the bench setups (dredded that is, by Skippy and his pals :wink: ):

A break in the shade to cool barrels.......and us:

In closing, a pic of one of my favorite setups at this ranch. I've shot this high hill facing east and west since 1998, and can only imagine the quantity of squirrels that have taken flying lessons from this location in all that time:

It was a great week to be sure. A good time was had by everyone.......everyone that is except Skippy. :lol: Now back home with gear unloaded, just the sound of my brass tumbler to remind me that the trip is still not really over; now the reloading begins again. Hope all you guys enjoy our post and have a great spring varmint season too. :D
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Fri May 09, 2014 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

willyp19
.204 Ruger Guns: REM 700 Custom Predator / Varmint, REM 700 VS

Re: 204 Fun in the Rat Patch

Post by willyp19 »

Rick,

Every year another great account of your outing. Thanks for sharing. I am so jealous!!!
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Here's our good friend Futuretrades, that's the face of a happy camper! Gary
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Nice write up Rick, although that badger didn't look so docile when I last saw him...Jim
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Once again a lot of fun was had by all!! Including those that can only dream of those numbers of rounds in a day!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Glen wrote:Once again a lot of fun was had by all!! Including those that can only dream of those numbers of rounds in a day!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Right you are, Glen.....it was a very good time indeed. The only downside, and I mean the only downside, is that when you fire up to 200-300 CF rounds a day, spend a week in the rat patch, then do the math as to the number of fired cases you bring home for reloading..........ouch!

But hey, it's part of the game, right? I consider it a thing to do in the summer when it's blazing hot outside (A/C in the gunroom), or for next winter when I'm freezing my fritter off outside, but I'm at the bench, nice 'n warm inside and dreaming about putting that nice shiny case back into the loading port of my rifle once again. There's times to shoot and times to handload......both good! :D

But I'm already dreaming about 'next time'....... :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Very well said Rick. I know the feeling very well!

Hey Gary, you really caught the essence of the fun I was having on my trip! :lol:

Besides all the fun giving "Skippy" flying lessons, I really needed this break! And I got see, and enjoy my old friends from the E.O.R.F.S.

Thanks for everything guys. Futuretrades
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Here's Kevin (futuretrades) having more fun with his Cooper 20VT than many humans get to have on their best day!

Glad you were able to take a break and give Skippy flying lessons with the crew. Your smile sez it all! :D

Now we've all got reloading chores to do in the gunroom.....life is good (as long as you don't turn on the news, that is!)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

ClaimJumper
.204 Ruger Guns: 3 custom .204's,22-250ai, 5-223, 6br Norma, Savage builds

Post by ClaimJumper »

As usual Rick you tell a great story. The pictures are also nice but the fact your faces all had smiles on them tells me something...you can't buy it at a store, it's priceless.

Retired Timber faller
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Wow, shade tress...you guys are spoiled rotten!
K = ½mv2
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Yeah but we all know you like it Rick!! :lol: :lol:

Finally got to the range today myself. Almost got the ol 222 sighted before the winds picked up. Should be a matter of a couple more groups.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Rick in Oregon wrote:
Now we've all got reloading chores to do in the gunroom.....life is good (as long as you don't turn on the news, that is!)
Right you are! I've already started the neck [dress-up] turning followed by annealing for all of my 204 Remington cases. It will be a while before I load those up.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

What a great trip. A treasure mine of target rich fields! Seems like your 204 may be getting jealous of the 20 VarTargs. Thanks for the pictures and the story. Hope to thin Idaho out of some flyin targets in a couple of days myself. Warm up for Montana prairie dogs. Now keep those reloading presses oiled up and in action.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

RIO and the hot barrel group way to go!! Glade to see everyone had grand time. Thanks again for sharing photos and stories. 900 yard shot with a 223 and a 50grain tip awsome to say the least. Some day maybe with try to hook up for a venture with the group!!

Later

Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

Rick, you and boys should seriously consider doing some videos and posting them here or on Youtube.