204 Fun in the Rat Patch

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: 204 Fun in the Rat Patch

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tokimini wrote:Rick, you and boys should seriously consider doing some videos and posting them here or on Youtube.
Toki, we've talked about that, and the first step would be to procure a decent quality video camera, and so far, there's always been "sumthin' else" that got the dinero priority....know what I mean? I shot a couple of five minute video clips with my little pocket Nikon, but they lack any decent quality to post on Youtube.

But it's 'on the list' so to speak. Maybe by next season...... :chin:
Ray P wrote:RIO and the hot barrel group way to go!! Some day maybe with try to hook up for a venture with the group!!
Thanks Ray, it was indeed an epic event. And as to the last part of your comment.......stranger things have happened........ ;)
Bodei wrote:Wow, shade tress...you guys are spoiled rotten!
Maybe. :wink: Okay, yes we are. But hey, I know for a fact you've got trees in Calif, but like here, they're seldom where they'd do you any good in the rat patch. This is our one and only exception, and is dear to us as you'd imagine. Shade, water, rifles, Skippy and his pals, what more could a guy ask for? I just wish spring lasted alot longer.

How's your rat season been going on there? You too, Claimjumper, any more 'thousand round firefights' lately? :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Bodei wrote:Wow, shade tress...you guys are spoiled rotten!
I kinda like being spoiled rotten :lol:

On the ranch we used to shoot, we had a spot that was in the shade all day long. It was under a stand of juniper trees, that the cows made for themselves. Most of the limbs were broken out by the cows. Them was some great days of shooting, but the ranch has since been sold to an insurance company, and anyone carrying a gun, is not welcome on the property. :mad:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

futuretrades wrote:Them was some great days of shooting, but the ranch has since been sold to an insurance company, and anyone carrying a gun, is not welcome on the property. :mad:
Gee Kevin......let me guess, "Hancock Insurance", right? I've heard of them buying up prime farms/ranches and then declaring it forbidden to all who hunt or carry a rifle. Let that be a lesson to any and all who purchase insurance and indeed do hunt and own guns.

Personally Kevin, I'd rather be in the shade of those trees right now, letting my barrel cool from a frisky bout of teaching Skippy to fly! :wink:

Ahh, life is good when your NOT a ground squirrel or prairie dog....or rockchuck. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

ClaimJumper
.204 Ruger Guns: 3 custom .204's,22-250ai, 5-223, 6br Norma, Savage builds

Post by ClaimJumper »

:D :D Hey Rick

My season is on hold, the new home is needing fences and 30 yards of topsoil spread. $hit! not much to report from me but I did make it to K-falls today and looked over some new spots. My 2 day shoot of 1500+ rds is
more than enough to hold me for a long time. I do have your phone# and we need to hit the K-Falls area one more time? No shade there in K-Falls so you might get heat stroke? lol
Keep me posted...
This is what a rat field looks like!

Retired Timber faller
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Rick--I just got around to reading this post about your big shoot. Thanks for the great write-up and super nice photos.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Don, you old claimjumper! Yep, that indeed is one heck of a rat patch pictured; squirrel mounds as far as the eye can see....perfect! No worries about shade either, in K-Falls or anywhere else.....I always take my own (forget heat stroke, gotta keep those barrels cool, right? :lol: ).

Silverfox: Thanks for the kind words. I just today saw your most recent PD foray, but haven't had a chance to read it, but I liked the opening statement about being left "home alone". It appears we both resort to the same pastime when left "unattended". :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA