Finally!!!!!

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Derek
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington SPS 700 Varmint

Finally!!!!!

Post by Derek »

Hello 204 Ruger fans,

It has taken a long, long time but I have finally cracked a long standing shooting goal of mine.

Between projects at the moment and took the opportunity for a road trip with my father to visit an old neighbour with a 6km² property on which he runs cattle, sheep and some crops. It is about a lazy 4 hour drive from Sydney and I think it is beautiful countryside. The following photo is a typical view from one of the lookouts on the nearby hills.

He usually has rabbits and foxes on the property. The rabbits were nowhere to be seen as either myxo or the calicivirus cleared them out recently. My normal shooting buddy is probably under the impression that I am a secret member of the fox preservation society. Since I started shooting many years ago I have had a few chances which for one reason or another (read: "I stuffed it up") haven’t quite come off. Usually I am so worried about the fox getting away that I rush it (rabbits at longer distances I am fine with). On the afternoon we arrived I went for a little walk with the 204. Noticed a ginger cat stalking along a fence line near the farmstead then scoped it and realised it was actually a fox. Got into a shooting position and the fox came out of the thistle patch and sat down. Problem was that it was partially obscured by tree branches. Shifted slightly to get a better aim and the fox spooked. Usual story.

Early start the next morning and went for a walk in the paddocks with the 204. Far end of the second paddock I noticed a fox running back and forth in the thistles. I moved closer for a better shot but he went through the fence and moved up a nearby hill. I quickly got behind the bipod. Scared him with the first shot but he stayed where we was. Took another shot which sounded like it connected and a third shot to make sure. Took out the camera for a photo from the shooting position and to get the GPS coordinates. When getting closer to the fence I looked to my left to see another fox about 60m away. Spooked it (read: took a snap shot and missed). It raced up the hill and while doing so I set up the bipod in case. It raced to within 20m of the first fox and conveniently stopped. Went down with a single shot. The longer shot according to the GPS was 180m. So I think the closer shot was about 140m. The score for the day was Derek 2 and foxes -2 which if I do my maths correctly results in an overall difference of 4 foxes.

This photo was taken from my first position looking up the hill. Picked up the fox in one of the lighter patches of grass below the tree on the crest of the hill roughly in line with the barrel.

This photo was taken from the first fox looking back down the hill to the second fox (next to the gun in the grass near the closest tree) and my original shooting position (the tree to the right of the tree with the cattle under it).

The rifle and the results (which the farmer was happy with and I am welcome back):

Didn’t get any more chances at a fox on the last morning but got to see some beautiful countryside and spend some time with my father so it didn’t really bother me.

Hopefully my next foxes don’t take nearly as long.

Regards,

Derek
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: Finally!!!!!

Post by Glen »

Congratulations on some fine shooting & a couple of nice looking Fox!!
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
boomer84
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 sps varmint

Finally!!!!!

Post by boomer84 »

Great job mate good to see another Aussie remmy owner on here!! What bullets are you shooting them red dogs with????

Boomer.
Derek

Post by Derek »

Hi Boomer84,

I am using Hornady V-Max 32grains. It is surprising how consistently they shoot considering they are off the shelf ammo. I've been impressed with the results when shooting at rabbits. The rifle came with some handloaded ammo which was shooting all over the place and when they were taken apart we were finding at least a grain variance in the powder loads.
boomer84

Finally!!!!!

Post by boomer84 »

Cool!! Well keep up that great shooting and the great pics coming. Mine has been a real safe queen lately! So I need too get out again soon and warm her barrel a little!

Boomer.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Derek--That sure is some great looking country you have there. Seems like there is about any kind of terrain one might want for hunting. Thanks for the story and the GREAT photos!!!
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
dan97526
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper M21, Cooper 38 20VT, CZ 17H

Post by dan97526 »

Does Australia have a native fox?
boomer84

Finally!!!!!

Post by boomer84 »

Only introduced foxes but we have native dogs "the dingo" but now there are very few pure breeds left as most have mixed with domestic bred dogs that have turned feral! We also had tigers once upon a time on one of our southern islands!!!

Boomer.
Derek

Post by Derek »

My wish that my next foxes were not going to take as long came true. My ex-workmate, Kev, called me up to say that his old school friend, Jim, had invited us to shoot foxes in the Parkes area of NSW. Was I interested – of course. The drive is a bit over 5 hours West from Sydney and we left early enough in the morning to be able to do some shooting that evening. The property has both crops and sheep and the foxes have been known to attack the lambs. According to some literature I found, in uncontrolled areas foxes have been shown to cause lamb losses of 10% to 30%. Under extreme conditions, predation on lambs can be as high as 50%. With the value of lambs at between AUD$100 and $140 that can add up to some serious financial loss for the owner.

The owner of the property is a lady in her 80s. She works most days on the land and is still impressively cluey and practical. Being school holidays she had the grandkids around. I used to be pretty smug that I could drive a manual car by the time I was 14 but was impressed to see the grandkids could drive a wide variety of farm machinery at an even younger age. There were a number of interesting pieces of equipment laying around the place such as old tractors, cars and Furphy tanks (a part of Australian history). For the first time I saw a wheat heater. It is a heater with storage chamber and a little auger to continuously feed wheat (rather plentiful on a farm) into the flame.

Jim had previously made up a shooting bench (as per photo below) which could be mounted on one of the flatbed 4 wheel drives so we could spotlight the foxes. Being winter here and having a cloudless evening it was going to be a cold night on the back of the truck. Kev opted to drive and Jim and I had the rifles and spotlight up top. Jim had his 22-250 and I had my 204.

Jim was kind enough to let me have first crack at a fox and unfortunately I missed that one. Not long afterwards we picked up a fox on the back side of one of the dams. This time I didn’t miss. It was a nice vixen (see photo) and it dropped instantly when hit with the 204. We moved the carcass away from the water and moved on. We alternated on the shots and that evening had 6 confirmed kills on foxes. Jim had picked up a few more foxes in the days before we arrived so the total was coming along nicely. About 2am the spotlight failed so we decided to call it an evening. We were also getting cold as it was about 2°C (about 35°F). We set up our sleeping gear in the shearer’s shed and went to sleep.

Mug shot of me with one of the foxes and although there was no frost it was cold enough on the top of the truck that I needed the fingerless gloves and the balaclava.

The last supper - We found this fox feeding on a sheep carcass before Jim took it down with the 22-250.

Kev had recently decided to add a varmint rifle to his collection of guns. He was tossing up between the 22-250 and the 204 after having tried mine. He went to the dark side with a beautiful Sako in the classic 22-250 topped off with a Burris eliminator scope. He collected it the day before we went to the property and was unable to have any range time with it. It was a very windy day but we went out to one of the paddocks to run it in and zero the scope. He said the gun shop had put it all together before it left the store so we were right to go. I was having trouble keeping the groups tight and couldn’t work out why until I checked the mounts and found they were loose. After that the groups were far tighter. Kev then demolished a water bottle at 200 yards so it was zeroed in for our purposes. We didn’t get the chance to check the drop at 750 yards as per the Burris instructions.

That evening I elected to drive while Kev and Jim shot. We found a fox early on and Kev took that with his new 22-250. Dropped instantly at a range of 117 yards according to the scope. A little later that evening Kev hurt his knee slightly manoeuvring out of the bench so I took his place. The temperature that evening was a few degrees warmer than the night before and was almost pleasant. Jim was a font of knowledge about the fox so I had the opportunity to learn something while shooting. At one stage Jim scored the feral cat shown below. I think in Australia they are even more unpopular than the foxes. This country has no natural feline predators and the defence mechanisms used by the fauna don’t work well against such a capable hunter as a cat. We alternated shots for the rest of the evening and picked up a confirmed 14 foxes. We probably scored more but in the stubble and grass patches the carcass can be difficult to find at times. We knew where one dead fox was and still managed to drive past it at a distance of a meter before back tracking to find it.

By the start of the third evening my confirmed total for the trip was 9 and I really wanted to hit double figures. Jim was once again kind enough to let me have first shot at a fox a little further away than most of our shots. I heard the hit and saw the fox rear up and dive through the fence in one jump. We couldn’t find it at that time so I didn’t count it (Jim found it after we left). Jim picked up a few more and then I scored number 10 for me. If you look in the attached photos you can see how the colour of the fox can blend in with the reddish soil and some of the brown grass and crop stubble. if you look closely at the first photo you get an idea at how reflective the foxes eyes are. As we were leaving the next day we finished slightly earlier and were very grateful that the grandkids had made a fantastic fire to sit around at the end of the shooting session.

By the end of the few nights spotlighting we’d reduced the fox numbers by at least 40 foxes between the 3 of us. I know that it is not the most sporting way of hunting but it is effective. If you assumed that over its life each fox took 2 lambs then that is a potential 80 lambs saved and at a minimum of $100 per lamb that is $8,000 for the farmer. Each vixen will generally produce 4 young a year so there was a secondary benefit of reducing the population of the next generation. The property owner was pleased with the results and we have an invite to come back. All in all it was an awesome long weekend away from which I'll have plenty of good memories. I was also very impressed at how effective the 204 was on foxes. When I did my part right it was not taking prisoners and dropped pretty well every one on the spot. The entry wounds were not easily picked and on body shots there were no exit wounds.