New Mexico May Dog Hunt

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Rob the Slob
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 LRPV right bolt, left port

New Mexico May Dog Hunt

Post by Rob the Slob »

I am new here but would like to show some of the prairie dog hunting / shooting we did in New Mexico last month. This is the 2nd time for me to hunt these and man I have been missing out on so much.
It is about a 14 hour drive to Clayton, NM from here but it sure is worth it. We drive one day, hunt 4 days then drive back.
Here are some pictures and an attempt on filming some. The mirages were really bad.
Remington 700 22-250
Savage Model 12 LRPV .204
My attempt on the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B1exzXk1Lo
toasty
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 16

Re: New Mexico May Dog Hunt

Post by toasty »

Enjoyed the video. It is hard to capture prairie dog shots at those long ranges. I settled on a cell phone mounted to a spotting scope, someday, I'm going to buy a better mount for a better camera.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: New Mexico May Dog Hunt

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Rob - First off, welcome to the forum. Lots of guys here with the same interests and lots of knowledge.

Like you, I'm addicted to PD and ground squirrel shooting, and try to get out in the field at least 30 days a year sniping the little buggers with various rifles and calibers. I've found the .20 calibers to be outstanding in this regard, especially for work under 600 yards.

As for taking videos of flying rats, here's what a good friend of mine here from SA uses to capture great "launch" vids using a neat bracket that attaches to the scope, and also holds the camera. Here's a couple of shots to illustrate the device:

Simple, highly effective, and the best device I've seen to date for accomplishing this hard to do task:

The videos this little system produces are quite outstanding; works very well indeed. Hope this helps in the quest for saving field fun for later. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails