The squeaks are out

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
ClaimJumper
.204 Ruger Guns: 3 custom .204's,22-250ai, 5-223, 6br Norma, Savage builds

The squeaks are out

Post by ClaimJumper »

Shot 375+ rds. yesterday 2-7-2016 and had a blast. They are thick and dumb, large prego Females many Eagles, Bald and Golden were fighting for the scraps. Only shot for 4 hours as we had to get back to watch the Superbowl. Start loading!

Don

Retired Timber faller
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: The squeaks are out

Post by RAMOS »

IIRC, you are shooting an area that the land owner is requesting maximum reduction of numbers. I don't have a problem with that but, it is probably worth mentioning to avoid the inevitable discussion about shooting prior to the 'spawn'.

That being said, glad you got out and had some (a lot) good shooting! Looks like we have a few days of exceptionally good weather ahead of us on the West Coast, as well!!!
ClaimJumper
.204 Ruger Guns: 3 custom .204's,22-250ai, 5-223, 6br Norma, Savage builds

Post by ClaimJumper »

If everybody on this Forum shot all day for a week there we would never dent the population. I never moved from my spot yesterday about 50 acres.

:)

Retired Timber faller
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

ClaimJumper wrote:If everybody on this Forum shot all day for a week there we would never dent the population. I never moved from my spot yesterday about 50 acres.

:)

I do not doubt it!
SoDaky
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 custom bolt and 204 JP AR.

Post by SoDaky »

Called coyotes around many towns last week and,yes,they are out for sure.
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Working OT on reloading, almost there! Another early year despite a real winter.
K = ½mv2
_RJ_
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington

Post by _RJ_ »

Dang. I need to find some p-dog towns. I've been calling coyotes and nailing doubles. But it's a muddy 'ol SOB out here.
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

RJ, if you are East of the Cascades, never, ever, curse the mud. Nothing more precious out here than moisture. Of course, if you are on the West side, can't do anything for you except offer my condolences. :wink:
_RJ_
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington

Post by _RJ_ »

RAMOS wrote:RJ, if you are East of the Cascades, never, ever, curse the mud. Nothing more precious out here than moisture. Of course, if you are on the West side, can't do anything for you except offer my condolences. :wink:
I am east and its slicker than snot. Luckily we still have a good amount of snow in the woods. The ruts are deep enough I'm starting to drag my differential on the feeding rig.
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

_RJ_ wrote:
RAMOS wrote:RJ, if you are East of the Cascades, never, ever, curse the mud. Nothing more precious out here than moisture. Of course, if you are on the West side, can't do anything for you except offer my condolences. :wink:
I am east and its slicker than snot. Luckily we still have a good amount of snow in the woods. The ruts are deep enough I'm starting to drag my differential on the feeding rig.

Then I would say conditions are near perfect! We will be choking on dust soon enough and the cattle will do well on the grass that this wet ground will soon produce.
bigbuck28
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 ruger AR custom

Post by bigbuck28 »

Post some pics so us guys on the east coast can drool.... -18 here in MA currently with the wind chill... Were gunna go ice fishing during the day.. coyote calling at night.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

bigbuck28 wrote:Post some pics so us guys on the east coast can drool.... -18 here in MA currently with the wind chill...
Okay, rat season is upon us, the weather is warming nicely, the grass is green and the rats are popping up all over the place!

Young ones exploring outside their burrow, totally unaware of the looming danger nearby....

Here's proof that ground squirrels can indeed fly! The actual flight is assisted in this case by a 32gr SBK out of my 11-twist M700, known locally as SPOD (or the "Silver Princess of Death").

This guy was trying for a new altitude record.....

They learn how to fly via our 204's and 20VT's, but once back on the ground are not nearly as much fun to play with....

If you guys back east are still bored with the frigid temps and snow and unable to get out with a rifle, we'll try to keep you entertained with fun with Skippy and his pals out here. 'Course once hog season is in full swing back there, we'll expect full reciprocity! :wink:

Don - aka Claimjumper:

Check your PM's! :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Ah very nice Rick. The fun does begin. Bill K
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Took my first shot at one the other day, was too cold for much action, not out in numbers there. May have to make a run up to K-Falls area soon! All my reloading is caught up! Weather is moving in Wed-Thursday. Gonna need some more 17 HMR too!
K = ½mv2
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Did snake one off the other day, in a flat on the north end of Eagle, but still not many out. Did however take/call in a very nice male coyote. Photo of it is posted on VHA forum. Bill K (Never can get photo's to post here)