Where are the Environmentalist when you need them.

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
TrapperDan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 204,cz 527 american 204

Where are the Environmentalist when you need them.

Post by TrapperDan »

This year started out looking like a good squirrel year. They were out early. BUT, if it wasn’t snowing, it was raining , if it wasn’t raining , the wind was blowing 30 mph and if the wind wasn’t blowing , it was snowing again. I did manage to get out for a couple hours 3 times in the past month . Now with the perfect weather this week I headed to my favorite farms in northern calif. that normally have thousands of squirrels only to find almost none. Come to find out that some outfit came in and poisoned hundreds and hundreds of acres on several farms using poisoned cabbage. I talked to 5 different farmers and they were very excited about this new method of control. If they hadn’t already had it done they were on the list to have it done.
Today I went out 30 miles east of K falls in Oregon to one of my best hotspots an when I approached the fields, the fields looked like they were moving with so many squirrels . When I pulled into the headquarters driveway , there it was. The old yellow school bus and about a dozen guys out in the field with buckets full of cabbage spreading it around the mounds. After talking with several other farmers, it appears that a lot of them are going this route. $ 65.00 per acre gets you a 95% kill. Not only are the squirrel devastated, so am I . If this trend keeps spreading, there won't be much left. I hate to have to start knocking on doors again. If there is any left when these guys get finished.
Wolves . ISIS of the animal world
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Re: Where are the Environmentalist when you need them.

Post by Bodei »

Yeah I hear ya. I had some good shoots but the farmers were planning the same treatments. Maybe drop a dime to PETA? LOL
K = ½mv2
Varmint Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger Rem XR-100,20VT, 20SCC,20TAC. Cortez, CO

Post by Varmint Shooter »

I know that it will make us squirrel shooters unhappy and sad, but I can also understand the farmers
reasons for doing it. In some of the fields I shoot, they, squirrels, have almost wiped out the entire field.
The farmers land and his crops provide his lively hood.
TrapperDan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 204,cz 527 american 204

Post by TrapperDan »

I totally agree varmint shooter. Not only do they destroy crops but their mounds tear the heck out of farm equipment and create excessive dust in bales of hay which lowers its value. I would do the same if I had the problem.
My wife got tired of hearing me whine so thought I would whine to you guys. :D
Dan
Wolves . ISIS of the animal world
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Hey Dan, sounds like this is the end to the very last thing I can still do for fun. Glad I seen your post!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I hope it isn't a sign of the time...I too would hate to see it come to this.
dan97526
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper M21, Cooper 38 20VT, CZ 17H

Post by dan97526 »

heck, that's bad news. Understandable from the ranchers' point of view. I have an organic field I shoot, wonder how that will play out?