Not much happening on site

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
brooksb
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M12 FV

Not much happening on site

Post by brooksb »

disappointing to see the site so dead, but what the heck here is a California report and regardless of the heat in Ca, my brother, a friend and I have still been shooting a lot of rats, but alas I have no recent photo evidence although I could throw in an old shot and no one would know. the squirrels still aren't coming out till about 0700 and by 1030 there is a marked decrease in numbers, but even with that my brother shot over 70 last week, had to move twice because of the pivots slow but steady approach, left by 1130 and he shoots with 10/22. He's going solo again tomorrow I think, and how well he does will determine when I go. I shoot with the CZ 17 and my Savage 204 so I have a real advantage of the brother.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Not much happening on site

Post by Bill K »

I have been still getting some ground squirrels (squeeks), but getting harder to see as the alfalfa is back up and will just get higher, until they make their third cut. Then we will get better shooting, til it comes up again or the critters start going underground. But then again the rabbits still come out too feed and the can be picked off all around the edges and low areas. I also have noticed that the site has been awful quiet lately. Must be the heat keeping everyone in, but not on the PC's. Bill K
brooksb

Post by brooksb »

on the cutting, we can usually find one where the bales have been picked up. On Rabbits, we only see then really early or late when I decide to just spike out at the field, and in Lassen Co., we frequently see Long tailed Weasels they are a kick to watch, and over in Modoc Co. there are Badgers which the ranchers dislike more than the squeaks
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

It's almost like we need another 204um 5 Shot Challenge to liven things up a bit.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Yes the weasels are fun too watch, and also to see, come winter, when their coats turn white. As you say, that rabbits come out too play early and late, sunup/sundown, but can be fun to walk up when they are in the sage brush.
Badgers, yes, they are around and yes, the farmers, mostly want them taken out. We have one place where the farmer does not want us to shoot them, so we don't. We play in their pivots, by their rules. Bill K
Tarrin
.204 Ruger Guns: AR

Post by Tarrin »

Hear hear to another 5 shot challenge! :yeah:
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Post by inKYfromSD »

Went to visit my family in South Dakota over the 4th. Took the CZ 204 and the 20 VT. Roll up to our favorite dogtown about 20 minutes from my parents place. Hardly any dogs. Looks more like a pasture than a prairie dog town. We counted over a dozen burrowing owls. Don't know what caused their population to explode but they sure put a hurt on the dogs. My GF shot one adult pd and then we dinked around with a .22. No carnage, no pictures. Bring on the paper I guess.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Yeah, but them paper targets don't bleed! Love the carnage!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
brooksb

Season recap

Post by brooksb »

Well my brother his friend and I have officially closed 2017 shooting, we were still getting some acceptable numbers last year at this time, but the alfalfa wasn't growing so well in the drought and what squeaks that were out were pretty visible. I haven't gone since July because I took the wife a couple of trips including the Eclipse. We had a really good year between the ranches in Lassen Co and the ones in Modoc County which included two and three-day bro vacations where we got stiff necks from long hours of shooting. We have almost every good spot named now including; grandpa's corner, honey holes #'s 1 & 2, 90deg corner, Antlers, barber shop corner, and our newest "Bodhi's Hill" appropriately named after my grandson's first squeak shoot. We gravitated to Cedarville 70 mile further party because of the world famous breakfasts at the................... and the excellent accomadations at the Sunrise Motel. This was my first year shooting the 204, my 22-250 had a good run with me since 1972, but she's retired now and I may even rob the Leopold off her and replace the Vortex...if the weather cooperates we'll be shooting squeaks in 5 months.
brooksb

Post by brooksb »

"County Hearth" and make that 6 months probably
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

About the same in my area and shooting spots. Most squeeks have gone underground for the season. A few still pop up, but the alfalfa is coming back up for a fourth cutting, so you get to see a head and maybe a shoulder. Makes for very small targets, but my buddy and I still take a few. And as a sideline, we are snaking off a few jack rabbits, that come out of the sage to feast. But in about 5 month, they will be back. In the meantime, coyotes and just getting out, will hold us. Then there is the once a month shoot ( for fun ) being worked up, that will give something else to play with in between. Bill K
brooksb

Post by brooksb »

it's been to far for me, my brother went about two days ago and said he probably wouldn't go again. Didn't get in on the 5 shot challenge, but will participate in other shoots..........I've got a brush rabbit sampling our garden so I'd like to catch it when it comes out to feast.