Building a rifle

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
ShooterJ
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Dimension 1/10 twist .204

Building a rifle

Post by ShooterJ »

I see many posts of people saying "For my next build I'm getting a ..."

Is that some figure of speech for buying a gun? Or are these guys like machinists that spin a barrel on lathe, hammer it down. Drill holes, craft triggers etc.

I just go to a store or gunshop and buy a Remington, Tikka or what ever they have. I let the guys that went to engineering school with million dollar tools build it. I'm shooter so I shoot.

Is this sort of like building your own car out of parts?
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Building a rifle

Post by Bill K »

For me, when I say "my next build is ?" I mean I am getting or using a donor reciever, and for me either a savage or Remington, and then I get a pre-fit barrel in the style and caliber I want and fit it onto said reciever. I may then alter the present stock or buy a stock from someone like Boyd's and fit the action/barrel into it. Scope, sight in and start working up loads for that caliber. If I happen to not be able to do all the work myself, then I have one or two gunsmiths I use aid in the process. Just something to work and play with on snowy/winter days. At least for me. Bill K
ShooterJ

Post by ShooterJ »

Bill K wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:06 am For me, when I say "my next build is ?" I mean I am getting or using a donor reciever, and for me either a savage or Remington, and then I get a pre-fit barrel in the style and caliber I want and fit it onto said reciever. I may then alter the present stock or buy a stock from someone like Boyd's and fit the action/barrel into it. Scope, sight in and start working up loads for that caliber. If I happen to not be able to do all the work myself, then I have one or two gunsmiths I use aid in the process. Just something to work and play with on snowy/winter days. At least for me. Bill K
So you buy the base Remington receiver and then put some other companies barrel on it in the twist you want and then sort of Frankenstein it together? Is that cheaper or better than just buying the entire Remington gun that includes a barrel?

Just wondering about warranty on such of gun.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Don't know if it is cheaper. Sometimes it can be, other times no. But it is something I enjoy doing. like some to wood work, etc. I also just buy a factory rifle, that I like or want. I have or done both, just depends on what I see or want to work with or on. It is just part of the hobby of shooting, hunting and either building or buying a rifle, that I do. Bill K
ShooterJ

Post by ShooterJ »

Bill K wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:30 pm Don't know if it is cheaper. Sometimes it can be, other times no. But it is something I enjoy doing. like some to wood work, etc. I also just buy a factory rifle, that I like or want. I have or done both, just depends on what I see or want to work with or on. It is just part of the hobby of shooting, hunting and either building or buying a rifle, that I do. Bill K
Ok I get ya on that. I use to build my own PCs for fun. And at one time it was cheaper than pre builts.

With guns I figured the manufacturers make it so you can't put just any barrel on it. Sort of forcing the buyer to use parts made by them. Otherwise you would need to custom mill one to fit properly which would cost more.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Consider it like building a street rod from a 55 Chevy. You start with a base and go from there. It's most always more expensive, and you'll never get out of it for what you have in it should you decide to sell.

BUT.....you get exactly what you want in the finished rig, maybe unique like no other, sort of a personal touch, built to your exact specifications. Then there's pride of ownership, most likely enhanced performance not found in factory rifles. Anyone can go to Wally World and come out with a rifle if your expectations are not very high. Most of us however, have much higher goals and therefore "build" our own.

Most newbies are okay with factory offerings, but once exposed to the "real world" of rifles, they soon see the real difference and then consider either modifying their rifle, or "build" one from scratch. Once you do, you'll really see the difference and most likely be glad you took the leap....I know I was when I built my first custom rig over 30 years ago. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

ShooterJ

Post by ShooterJ »

Rick in Oregon wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:46 pm Consider it like building a street rod from a 55 Chevy. You start with a base and go from there. It's most always more expensive, and you'll never get out of it for what you have in it should you decide to sell.

BUT.....you get exactly what you want in the finished rig, maybe unique like no other, sort of a personal touch, built to your exact specifications. Then there's pride of ownership, most likely enhanced performance not found in factory rifles. Anyone can go to Wally World and come out with a rifle if your expectations are not very high. Most of us however, have much higher goals and therefore "build" our own.

Most newbies are okay with factory offerings, but once exposed to the "real world" of rifles, they soon see the real difference and then consider either modifying their rifle, or "build" one from scratch. Once you do, you'll really see the difference and most likely be glad you took the leap....I know I was when I built my first custom rig over 30 years ago. :D
I'm just getting back into hunting after a long break. I was a hunter but really did not now much about the guns I shot.
Just how to clean them.

I had quite a few guns in my collection that my Dad and grand dad left me. From 1904 to 1970s models
- 20 gauge single shot Ithaca
- 12g Reminton semi
- twin 1911 single shot .22 w cherry stocks
- 1968 Remington 30-06
- 1945 US army .45
- like 10 pistols.

Had them in storage at my moms for years. Went to get them a few years ago and found my sister sold them all in a garage sale for $400.00. Oh I was not too happy, she got ripped off and me with no guns.

So i've been slowly rebuilding the collection but none as nicely made as the old ones. Its cost me thousands and the guns are not of the same quality of the old ones.

Maybe I'll build myself one like you.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Now that would break a man's heart.. But I think you would have fun and would enjoy putting one together and shooting with it. Savage, Remington, Howa all can be fitted with pre-fit barrels of all sort of contours, length, twist and calibers, Triggers upgraded, stocks fitted, some nice laminated or solid wood from stock makers, so you can end up with a special rifle that you would be proud of and have a load of fun with, varmint or hunting with. Bill K
ShooterJ

Post by ShooterJ »

Yea I'm just getting all my basic calibers back but nothing special, mid grade guns.

- Thompson Dimension do all modular gun in .204 (can buy cheap 200.00 barrels in other calibers for it)
- Ruger Gunsite Scout in stainless in 450 bushmaster (deer hunting gun)
- Henry Frontier Octagon .22 lever (love that little gun)

- Need semi 12 gauge not sure which to get
- Might get a Sako Varmint Just because it has nice wood and quality like the old ones.

Actually my best gun is a pellet gun. Was like $1,500. Shoots under 1 moa up to 100 yards.

This Sako would be nice

They not cheap though.
jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

Post by jsh »

Most of the time anything I have put together myself or had built, is a combo of somthing that is not offered.
I got ate up with wildcats 30 years ago, I owned nothing in a rifle that one could go to the store and buy ammo for. That is what will usually hurt any resale of a "built" gun. Today's shooters want to go down to the local mart get some ammo and go shoot.

I got lucky and fell in with a crowd of rifle loonies. For quite a few years we did a lot of swapping amongst our selves. I was the youngest of the bunch, I and one other left now.

A vanilla so to speak cartridge, in a good barrel with good chamber and proper set up will serve one very well, with the plus of shooting better than some factory rigs.

The above mentioned relation to a street rod project is totally correct. Not a money pit unless one lets it go that far. Building a one of a kind or what you want, rather than what is built for the masses.
Three44s
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 11

Post by Three44s »

I do my “playing” with Savage bolt guns. I acquire Savage brand take off barrels and sometimes a custom pre-fit now and then. When I need an action that I don’t have or need I generally wait for a new rifle to come up on sale at a big box store to turn into a donor action. I try to buy the complete rifle in a cartridge that I do not have and then I get a two fer that way. The spare barrel gets put up and the object barrel gets installed.

With respect to the 204 cartridge, I first bought a varmint weight blued barrel and installed it. My donor action was a 308 Win when I bought it. I found the correct bolt head and detachable magazine. Next I was able to procure a Target Accutrigger and matching Target Sear. Ended up with a rifle refitted with factory parts (though upgraded) that shot sub .3” for bargian basement prices. In the end I got tired of my arms growing longer every time I toted the gun around. I kept my eyes open and snagged the next available shorter barrel profit for a Savage. I installed it and my arms quit getting longer and the coyotes kept dying.

Three44s
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I built the finest 204 I could afford years ago. Started with a Stolle Panda action, then a Lilja barrel, then a Jewell trigger, then a Shehane stock, a custom reamer from PTG, and topped it all off with a Nightforce scope. I used one of the finest gunsmiths to bring it all together and ended up spending over $4.5K by the time it was all said and done. BUT, that said, it is the most accurate bench rifle I own. It will never leave the fold, so to speak. My son will inherit it when I move on to the great hunting grounds in the sky. I had the best time bringing that rifle into existence and learned a lot in the process.

Now when you're talking semiautomatic shotguns, I have a couple of suggestions. Browning Maxus or a Benelli Super Black Eagle. I'm an avid duck hunter. You didn't say what game you're after, but I'm sure you could find variants of either that will suit your needs. Either way you can't go too wrong. One word of advice is that the SBE will not cycle light loads at the skeet range. The Browning Maxus will and will also handle the 3 1/2 inch magnums just as well. YMMV.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

Post by jsh »

Huh, my SBE has digested anything and everything I have fed it. Just ran some 7/8'ounce loads through it not long ago.

I keep better track of rounds through a rifle than I did years ago. I have some good rigs, but I can't say they will be heirlooms. Took me a fair bit to get through my head that barrels are like tires on a car, they are wear items and need replaced some times.
Buddy has a 223 that has over 15k through it, 9 twist. He thought the throat was going. Then he did a through cleaning and degunking, then re torqued the action to the stock. He is back in business, sub MOA at 200. Kicker is looking through a bore scope the rifling is not much more than a shadow.
hoppy
.204 Ruger Guns: sako varmint

Post by hoppy »

HI Shooter J - the sako you have a photo of above is nice - just bought one recently in 204 and it shoots like a dream - haven't got a nice scope on it yet but it is currently wearing an old Leupold 12x40 AO and shooting nice tight groups with sierra BK 39 gn handloads (26.8 AR 2206H, Rem7.5, hornady brass) and deadly kill shots. About to go for a Zeiss scope with Illuminated 60 reticle(IMO one of the best uncluttered illuminated reticles available) - probably a V6 2-12x50 as I do a lot of night and twilight shooting - cant wait to set this up and go fox shooting

Cheers
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

If you're not familiar with the accurate shooter benchrest website:
http://www.accurateshooter.com/

Look at the Actions tab way down the hyperlink list on the left side of the page. You will see all sorts of options and dealers. Then take a minute to see who's shooting what and most importantly, who's winning. That should be a good place to start. You'll need a FFL person to help with the legal paperwork aspect. Then there's the donor action route. Say, an old Remington 700 action that someone will mill to your specifications. Should shoot lights out either route you go. Then on to the barrels to mate up with the new action and you're half way there. Consider a custom reamer for the gunsmith to use that will let you reach the lands and grooves with reloads. Now you're just a stock and trigger away from some really fun. Many members here on this forum are more that happy to help you spend your money. Most have been down that road before and have a lot of good insight and advice.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em