Experience with .204 Ruger/varmint hunting?

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Mibe
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger American 204 Ruger Vortex 26952

Experience with .204 Ruger/varmint hunting?

Post by Mibe »

Folks, long time TFL junkie needs all your help, experience, thoughts, ideas, concerns, success stories and failures. If you have hunted with .204 Ruger or one of your good buddies does, I'd love to learn from you.

Me? Handgun guy. I merely dabble in rifles. I'm no rifleman and I'm not a hunter. Always an admirer of hunting but I'm not a hunter. Even still, I go on an annual prairie dog hunt out in the great open west and I love it. This will be my 5th year at it and I've done well with a Howa 1500 .223 with a 24" heavy varmint barrel. My handloads are the 50gr Hornady V-Max that runs around 3,200 fps at the muzzle.

Lately I've been thinking that I should evolve... and .204 Ruger is what I'm thinking. The only "advantage" or upgrade that I seek is this grand idea that with the smaller cartridge, I'll be able to keep a constant picture in sight through my scope and witness the hit -- which I cannot do currently.

If you have experience (or thoughts) on the .204 Ruger, from a bolt gun, for prairie dogs from 100 to 400 yards, I want to hear EVERYTHING. From the gun brand/model to the glass to the actual bullet weight and brand you like.

Is this a worthy upgrade? I'd be giving up a lot to get there. I'd be giving up mountains of brass supply, a rig and a load that I know works... all for the thrill of something "NEW!" and the dream of being able to watch my hits as they happen.

And off-topic question. Somehow -- go figure -- I have "outgrown" the nice Pendleton wool shirt in medium that I got when I was in college.

I need a size-up good wool shirt... regular shirt weight, like the thickness of a flannel shirt. I have Woolrich Buffalo and Stag shirts but need something lighter to use over a base layer and under one of or a combo of vest/puffy/windshirt.

Looking at the Pendleton Guide Shirt like this but would appreciate hearing about alternatives. Cheaper wouldn't be a terrible thing.
Last edited by Mibe on Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimreed1948
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: Experience with .204 Ruger/varmint hunting?

Post by jimreed1948 »

While I have no knowledge of the 204 Ruger at all, I use the .20 Vartarg. You can easily see all your hits and misses. Simple to reload and you'll be able to shoot longer as the 204 Ruger barrel heats up rather quickly from what I have read. Tons of information out there on the 20 VT.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Mibe: While I shoot a 204 R along with other small calibers for a good day of shooting in the fields for ground squirrels and such. If you are looking for a small caliber for a all day shoot, with the ability to watch the hits and use less powder and have fun.
Really consider the 20 VarTarg, it will shoot very accurately and well out to the area of 400 yrds, right along with a 204R and be using almost half the amount of powder, so more shots per lb. You will never be sorry in getting the VT first, then later maybe adding a 204 R. Bill K :D
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well then, you're very late to the party. I started shooting the 204 with the very first one on the west coast in 2006, delivered straight from Sako. Since then I've acquired three more, plus the much-loved 20 Vartarg.

If you want to rummage through older posts, I've got zillions of field pics with my various 204's having their way with PD's, ground squirrels, badgers and other vermin. Just use my user name and you'll find them in the archives here.

I'll only add one comment: Once you own one and have some field experience with it, you'll find it may become your favorite rat rifle. :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails