Fox hunting in northern Sweden

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
kalsonghammare
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Center Dimension .204 Ruger

Fox hunting in northern Sweden

Post by kalsonghammare »

Hello! Got my .204 ruger to get some foxes, but this year they seem to have disappeared from my hunting grounds... I even placed som left over moose meat that had been festering in a shed for some months, which they usually come running to get a piece of... Nothing. Not even a single track.

But at least I've fed the crows good! :)

Anyway, here is a picture from my hunting spot:
sunrise.jpg
sunrise.jpg (5.03 MiB) Viewed 12934 times
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Re: Fox hunting in northern Sweden

Post by randyman »

Great photo! Looks like a perfect setup. How about a description of your .204? Randy.
kalsonghammare

Post by kalsonghammare »

I recently (3 weeks ago) bought a Thompson Center Dimension i .204 Ruger maily to get to foxes and crows att long distance, as you can se from the picture the distance to the tree line is about 500 yards, so you can see them sneaking around the ditches and prepare for the shot. I am very pleased with the T/C Dimension since it shoots about ½ MOA att 100 yards, perfect for sniping foxes!

I havn't shot a single fox this year as they seem to have disappeared from my grounds. I have shot a couple of crows with it. I'll try to update this thread soon, but hunting season endas within a couple of weeks.
Rogman
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 22 inch barrel 12 inch twist

Post by Rogman »

wow! that is some distance sniping, what twist is your barrel, barrel length? what grain bullets you using? interested if you have any more stories about shooting foxes at that distance - love the photo
Rogman

Post by Rogman »

PS: Im from Western Australia, fox hunter, using a caller at night with ATN 4XPro Night/Day scope and Sniper Hog IR light. I can see about 300yards with that set up and eye flash further out
kalsonghammare

Post by kalsonghammare »

Rogman wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:14 pm wow! that is some distance sniping, what twist is your barrel, barrel length? what grain bullets you using? interested if you have any more stories about shooting foxes at that distance - love the photo
Hello! Sadly there were no foxes to be seen last yaer around here, but now they're back! I took a shot at one from about 80 yards, but since it was running I missed it, the bullet hit the ground way behind... Foxes are really fast! But I have seen a few around, and found some fox holes dug in the woods nearby, so they seem to be coming around again. I november when the snow covers the ground they'll be easier to spot, right now I'm all tied up in moose and roe deer hunting.

My barrel twist is 1:10, I personally use 39 grain bullets.

I don't know the barrel length, I'll have to check it. It is around 23 inches, give or take ½ an inch?
Rogman

Post by Rogman »

:) thanks, dont feel bad, I never can hit a running fox, normally they will stop and look back at some point, so if you are tracking them that is the time to have a shot, I have seen vids of hunters hitting them on the run - Im not that good!
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Sounds like a trip to the skeet field is in order. Judging the correct lead on moving targets gets easier with practice. Skeet and trap can help there. Never hurts to start with a coach. Mine got me on target, or should I say busting clays, while looking over my shoulder on the low house. Once I started connecting it all came together. Thank you Gary Lamar!!!
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em