Some Orygun Rockchucks

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Some Orygun Rockchucks

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Got out recently locally for some rockchucks. The grass and alfalfa is now too tall for ground squirrels, and the best GS shooting is far enough away to make fuel prices an issue. So a morning walkabout with my Cooper M38 in 20VT seemed like a good choice, as the property I shot is not 204 friendly.

The area I was shooting. Cruise through the sage and junipers, find a shooting lane that has lava rock outcroppings or rock piles.

One of the den perimeter guards looking for danger. I'm camo'd in a nearby fenceline using a Nikon 300mm lens and rifle on my 'varmint stake'.

No QD studs on my VT, so sometimes I use x-sticks too, but this works very well at this place.

Th ranges at this property don't exceed 300 yards, and neighbors nearby never complain about the noise of my 221FB, K-Hornet or 20VT, but raise h3ll if they hear a 204. The Nosler 32gr VG over RL-7, lit by a 7-1/2 in Lapua cases was the load....reasonably 'quiet', wicked accurate. ;)

Just wanted to share some .20 caliber fun. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Re: Some Orygun Rockchucks

Post by broper »

Looks like you had a fun enjoyable day. I wish our rock chuck country looked like that. Good pictures, good shootin'. I think the gas situation is going to curtail some of my varminting too. I would like to go after some Columbian ground squirrels but it's about a two and a half hour drive north of here.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Rick: Are those California poppies ? Another species invading Oregon, huh ? :eek:
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

Real pretty pictures
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes