Anyone hunting Central Oregon?

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
redmist

Anyone hunting Central Oregon?

Post by redmist »

Sage rats of course........new kid on the block on this forum. Would enjoy hearing reports of hunting near Fort "Stone" (you know I can't tell). Headed for my third season up there at 4,200' elevation......next spring with a 204 a couple of 17's........redmist
OldSchool
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 VLP Super Sniper 10x

Post by OldSchool »

was out there last summer for a few days. Most the farmers around there only allow .22 rimfire but if you ask around I am sure some will let you shoot bigger guns. There was a lot of rats out there though so good luck.
"There's only one truth about war: people die." - Sheridan
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Redmist: See PM sent......
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

I'm excited already. Just started on 1100 new cases and ordered a new Sako 85 SS varmint. I feel real good but real poor, and I haven't ordered a scope yet. Have to talk to the wife about getting a job.
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

I cant wait I just bought my son a 22-250 and my .204 is ready to blow up some varmints. I Want to get out to Eastern Oregon and try some Coyotes. Has anybody hunted out by Post and Paulina I hunted elk in the Ochcoos last year and seen a ton of Coyotes. Does Eastern Washngton have any sage rats?
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I hunt coyotes all winter out in that area, but be warned that all or most of it is private land. The south border of the Ochocos is of course National Forest, and it is also good for coyotes. Les Schwab owns almost the entire valley, along with the Cold Creek Ranch, and neither take trespassers lightly, believe me. Without landowner permission, best to stay out of that area.

If you're really after coyotes, just head east on Hwy 20 past Horse Ridge, and you'll be in BLM heaven with literally hundreds of thousands of acres to warm up that 204 and have some fun with dogs. The local kids have educated the coyotes pretty well with amatuer calling, so the farther away from Bend, the better you'll do.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

majcl5

HYW 20

Post by majcl5 »

How far is Horse rigde out 20? Does asking work out in the Post area? Its that much closer for me than hyw 20 but I will give anything a try.
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Horse ridge is about 20 miles east of Bend (the large ridge with the prehistoric river canyon & viewpoint). It's all open high desert after that, and great coyote country, all BLM.

It won't do much good to ask in the Post/Paulina Valley, as there is only about 4 or 5 owners total, and they get asked all the time. Unless you're on a "short list", it's a waste of time. Out of all that land, I've only got permission to hunt one ranch that's also posted, and it's only for sage rats and coyotes, NO big game whatever allowed. It took me many years to gain permission, and it was only granted because I knew the ranch caretakers from a very good friend. It's the old story of a few inconsiderate idiots ruining it many years ago for the rest of us. :mad:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

I will give that a try. Have you ever hunted coyotes in that Grassland area around madrass and Prineville.
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

No, have not hunted anything around there except rock chucks and squirrels, but again, mostly private land. Any area over here around a town of any size has "educated" coyotes, as the newbies try calling on them, and the dogs soon learn to avoid those sounds and say healthy by staying away.

Honestly, if you want to shoot coyotes, find any rancher that will let you hunt on or the fringes of his property, especially sheep and cow ranches. Barring that, deep into BLM land will produce desert dogs too. Just remember, the farther away you are from civilization, the better the hunting unless you are a very good caller. Around Mitchell is good, up around Enterprise too. You just have to drive around, knock on doors and ask. Hint: Don't go up to the door in camo.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

Thaks for the tips and Info :)
Rem 700 VLSS .204
OldSchool
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 VLP Super Sniper 10x

Post by OldSchool »

Just got back from eastern oregon, was out there from the 30th-3rd. Got into a ton of jackrabbits and busted a couple dogs. Sure was good to be back home. All this Army stuff has kept me away toooooo long.
"There's only one truth about war: people die." - Sheridan
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

I want to get out east of bend and try some shooting at some dogs myself Mabey after x-mas
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Same Here I miss Oregon too I graduated from Bend Senior High back in 75. The people here in California just keep telling me to go home. My Dad and Brother still live there. I miss it but there is some pretty good shooting in Alturas California I meet my brother and his boy there every spring for a week of Sage rat shooting although the rats are greatly thinned down there anymore.
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

87 Oregon City High, I dont think theres a better state to live in then Oregon with outdoors In mind. I got my salmon fishing in the spring along with of course Rats. And then Fall I got my Salmon and deer , elk . Were does it end.
Rem 700 VLSS .204