Mouth calls vrs. E-callers

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
WHISTLEPIG

Mouth calls vrs. E-callers

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Would like to hear what people are using. I still use mouth calls but I am considering an E-call for the most obvious reason (eyes off me). I still like the challange of doing my own calling.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I use both,But,I realy like the e-callers.This helps me focus on spotting the dogs before they see me.I'm not allowed in the woods with a rifle till after deer season :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I looked at a Foxpro the other day with the remote control. Paying $399 just seems a little steep for something like that. I know that some of the members here have sprung for one but would really like to hear how they compare with say a Primos or some other call. How well do they stand up in the field? How often do you have to change batteries, etc.? Has anyone ever tried making one themselves?
Last edited by skipper on Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Lots of guys DO make their own, there's a section in the Predatormasters Forum on how to do so, even. It doesn't seem too complicated for an electronics buff (which I ain't!)
I have an older Johnny Stewart cassette caller, the JS 512, and it's more trouble to haul around than it seems to be worth. I've had crows and raptors come in to it, but nothing else at all. Maybe it's just my poor luck, but I've not had any luck with it. I've had more success with a Lohman mouth call than anything, it'll bring in a hound dog real fast! :? Poor locations probably hurt me, too, around here it's very heavily settled.
It uses a motorcycle battery, I think, it's rechargeable, but heavy. The even older 45rpm record models used 8 D-cell batteries! The new Foxpros and others use 9v batteries, they are a lot lighter and simpler to use, and have wireless remotes, my 512 just has a 50' wire to move the speaker out and away from you.
If I had it to do over, I'd save my money on the 512 and buy a variety of mouth calls, but if I had a bunch of free money, I'd get a Foxpro and save the huffin' and puffin'.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Both. Hand calls are very effective because I can vary the pitch,direction,& intensity. E-callers are great for getting the sound away from the caller himself. I believe this is more important where I hunt with the heavier wooded areas as they can sneak in without being detected. You''ll want to,,ideally,, be setting downwind of the e-caller if possible for when they circle you. I have a nice collection of hand calls now & a FoxPro 416B. I use them together on every stand. HTH

BTW-- There are other callers out there for less money. To the human ear up close they may not sound very good but at a distance they will call coyotes. You can get a small handheld e-caller & a mouth call for $9.95S&H from Western Rivers. I''ll get you the link.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Glen

Post by Glen »

Here is the link. It is an inexpensive way to get started. Whether they will call in predators or not has as much to do with setup & having them in the area as it does using $500 e-callers. They won't come in if they aren't there. If you decide to try one of these let us know how it sounds.

http://www.western-rivers.com/

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

For that price I can't see not trying it. There are coyotes right behind my subdivision that serenade us all the time. The kids come running in the house when they start and I go running outside. I could try it on them to see their reaction.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
race4hills

Post by race4hills »

Glen how loud is your Fox Pro 416B? I have one like Glenn's and want to up grade, but the wind here in CO blows when ever you want to hunt so louder is better. I like the remote so you can run a jack in box also. I just don't want to spend the cost of a FP3 ,FP5 or a M1.
204 try it you'll like it!
Glen

Post by Glen »

The 416B is plenty loud for me where I hunt. Rolling hills,vallesy,flat open ground & woodlots. Lots of folks are using the 416B out west successfully. I do know for sure that you do not want this caller within 20-30yds on full volume. The FX3 is a very nice never HAVE to buy another one again e-caller. And they have 2 speakers. They are upgradeable for the price difference but for my application I don't see a need for that. I'm setting mine up for fox,crow,coyote,& raccoon & thta took me right to 32 sounds. It's all I need. HTH some.

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
60X

Post by 60X »

The FX3 is all I've ever used. It's a great caller but I agree it's alot of money. If you're not going to use it very often you can get one of the cheaper foxpro calls with fewer sounds. I have a bunch of sound and change for yotes, crows, coons and fox. I have deer and turkey sounds as well but have never used them. I'd like to learn to use mouth calls a little though. I think they could be very productive at times.
race4hills

Post by race4hills »

Thanks glen and 60X I hunt a lot of open or just at the edge of trees up in the mountains and in the plains out east. I have better luck with e-callers than mouth calls for getting them to come in but use squeekers get them in closer.
204 try it you'll like it!
scootertrash

Post by scootertrash »

FoxPro FX3 :yeah:

Mike
dogcaller

Post by dogcaller »

I've got one of the minaska bandits I've had for a couple of years and it works awesome. I've called big sandhill areas and smaller field to wood lot areas. Its easy to control your sounds and volume with the remote. It has a 12v gell cell battery and will last me 3 to 4 days of calling. They also have the big country bandit that really reaches out (very clear sounding). Couple buddy's have the foxpro and alway ask me to bring the bandit or ask to borrow it. But its usually being used...by me! I also use alot of mouth calls and coaxers. I've had sucess with both. I definitely like my bandit beter than my old San Angelo's cassette caller.
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Thanks for all the good info. Sorry to respond late but have not been able to get on again for a few days. I've been looking at the 416b Foxpro. Would still want to use my mouth calls with it.
howler

Post by howler »

I have a foxpro 416b and use coaxers with it. I like to get the coyotes fairly close to the caller then use the coaxer or squeaker to make the coyote look at me, then I have a facing shot, I prefer this shot account no pelt damage. And By the way I am going to order a Bandit M1 with auxillary longrange speaker. It has some amazing reveiws, I am excited.