Mouth calls vrs. E-callers

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Rattler

Post by Rattler »

If you like longer shots, the FOXPRO's with remotes are the way to go. The flexibilty of setting up with a remote is unmatched. I have the FX3 and have called in a ton of coyotes with it. I didn't buy a 204 to shoot coyotes at 30 yards, so I'll do whatver it takes to set up for 150 on out. The remote let's me do that. You get the best and it only hurts once.
IF my FX3 ever craps out on me...I will upgrade...but right now the question is why? Maybe the "FX10" will be out by then?
DDCalls

Post by DDCalls »

I make my own calls and use them exclusively. I just prefer calling them in myself. Makes the hunt more worthwhile for me. Just my opinion about ME! Not knocking e-callers at all. Whatever gets floks into the field and off the couch.

David
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I use both now, but favor my Foxpro. Reason? Because I've blown so many shots on dogs going from the mouth call to the rifle, the dog sees my movement and bails.....fast! It may be my lack of stealth in that regard, but I know I shoot more dogs using the 'ambush' system with the Foxpro, as the dog's attention is on the call sound, and not on me.

Like Rattler, I prefer the longer shots, and the Foxpro makes it much more probable that will be the shot I get. It also allows a bit for scent control, as your scent is not as strong, but I still pay attention to the thermals and use my "puffer" all the time. If the wind is wrong, bye bye doggie, no matter how far away.

(My puffer is an empty scent squeeze bottle filled with unscented talcum powder to check the thermals)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

callers

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I have my old Johny stewert caller on the floor board of my Xterra and the speaker taped to the roof rack. At night I drive along the roads and locate the packs with the Howler tapes by stopping about every 1/2 mile or so and playing the howler tape to locate the pack then decide weather to try a night hunt or return during the day. Very seldom do I pack it out in the field because it is heavy and the cord for the speaker always gets tangled. I have left it playing and walked away from the car this has worked on ocasion. Moth calls can be used over E calls. The problem I find with mouth calls is some brands clog or freeze with moister the E caller keeps on working I do like using cassette tapes espeasialy if you have the ability to copy you own you can que them and gaps or blank time at the beging so you can leave a walkman behind and get to your hiding spot.
janneuf

E Caller

Post by janneuf »

I just put together a lightweight e caller. I have an MP3 player, a mini amp and speaker. I am upgrading to a PA type speaker from Radio Shack.

Total cost

MP3 Player~$45
Mini Amp $12
Cables (2) $3.99 each
Mini Power horn 4"x 6" $20.00

all together that's $80 and I picked up a fanny pack at Wally World for $3 on clearance to carry all the items but the powerhorn

No remote but I just put 2 minutes of silence on the front of a call sequence and walk back...still looking for my first kill with this set-up
janneuf
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

janneuf, please let us know how that works out for you! I have been considering the same setup for a while now as even the $400 for a middle of the road ecaller is WAY out of my price range. I just dont want to spend the $80 either if its not going to fool the dogs. I already spent $50 on the Cass Creek remote and it hasnt fooled anything yet. It sounded great to me inside Cabelas but out in the sticks I realized it doesnt sound good at all. How is the sound quality on the "homemade" unit? Whos sounds are you using?
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
janneuf

Sound Quality

Post by janneuf »

Rugerdog

It sounds great now. I finally got around to putting the Radio Shack powerorn speaker on it. Previously I had to crank the volume and that led to both distortion and a hiss. now I can keep the volume lower and get far more sound and better sound quality.

Can't wait to try it out.

I got my sounds from http://www.varmintal.com look for the link to "coyote calling" on his home page. He has a whole bunch of sounds that he offers free including two fullyprepared sequences (1 is 15 miinutes the other is 20 with 2 minutes of silence at the start to let you start the MP3 and walk away)

I figure I will give these a run and if I don't have luck I'll buy a Johnny Stewart CD and load those sounds on my MP3.
janneuf
WyoVarmiter

Electronic calls

Post by WyoVarmiter »

I have a Wildlife Technologies electronic call that I purchased four years ago. By far and away the best electronic call on the market IMHO I took out the rechargeable batteries that came with it and run regular AA batteries now. The call has a long range speaker with remote so it's easy to control the volume for heavy cover, but you can really juice it up for wide open spaces in a high wind. I know it's a very expensive call but just like they advertise....it doesn't matter if you play it once, or a million times, the sound will always remain crystal clear. It's very simple to operate the remote to change volume, or to change calls. My only knock on it is the amount of batteries it takes to run the thing.....20 AA's for the unit, and three AAA's for the remote! If you call in high wind with the volume turned up it will eat the batteries in a hurry. Nice site for the fantastic .204!
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

Welcome WyoVarminter! We love having new folks from Wide Windy Wonderful Wyo! I miss my Pdog spot up there already!
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
Rattler

Post by Rattler »

I totally agree with Glen on all his points. It is a huge tactical advantage to offset from the caller, but a quick note from a lip squeak or mouth call is what I often use to stop a moving dog. Intensity, direction, a quick change of sounds as well some sounds I can't make anyway (woodpeckers) make this a very deadly combo. Does anyone have the FX5 ?? ...I have the FX3 and right now see no need for an upgrade.
NOTE: OOOOPS! HOW did this post get here...I wanted it following Glens comments? read on.
Elvis1971

Fox hunting

Post by Elvis1971 »

Does anyone out there ever hunt at night for gray foxes? I used to do it a few years back and some luck but have went out this year four or five times and have not seen anything. Rumor has it that the increasing number of coyotes here in West Virginia have all but exterminated the gray foxes. The cassette tape I have had luck with is the gray fox pup in distress. I have been using it and cottontail rabbit tape this year and have seen nothing. Heard some coyotes howling the other night though.
I am an avid hunter that doesn't bag as much game and fish as I'd like but I still enjoy trying.
savage204

Post by savage204 »

You read so many comments how difficult it is to call in Yotes in the East??
Is it really true, E-allers in the West call in Yotes all the time while I read complaints from hunters in the East. Are East coyotes that E-caller shy ?

I have the FoxPro FX3 and new to Yote huntin but just have not found the magic sound yet.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

The grey fox is rarely seen here in my area. I've seen one in the last 5 years coming down out of a tree. The red fox is just now making a comeback of sorts. The coyotes are hard on them.

Hunting eastern coyotes is tough. Calling them into a field is very difficult unless the hay is at least shoulder high to them. Get in the woods as quietly as possible & start with low volume.They like to approach from downwind thru cover if possible. Gas line & power lines that are kept up are good places to call from. Usually heavy cover on both sides & it offers easy travel routes.

Most important,,, don't give up or call an area too much & get downwind of your e-caller. HTH
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen