Camo Is Fun and Easy

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
LilCal

Camo Is Fun and Easy

Post by LilCal »

Since a camo job can apply to any varmint caliber you may have I thought some may want to see this.
Not much time to tinker lately but I free floated and glass bedded and camoed my Ruger target grey in 220 swift in a Hogue overmold stock this week. I will be doing this to my CZ in 204 soon. I have painted all my archery equipment in a similar fashion in years past.

I like the looks and performance of the laminated stock with sandbags on the bench but the stock is hard to hold onto and feels like a slippery club as well as doesn't lend itself to use on shooting sticks in the field. I seriously considered taking a rasp to the laminated stock but opted for the less radical $85.00 overmold stock instead. The narrower rubber grip surface of the hogue stock fits and grips the hands better. There are aluminum pillars built into this stock already. I had to do some inletting with a dremel for the larger target barrel since this stock was designed for a standard contour. The action must have been shifting some since the stringing of groups has now stopped after the glass bedding the lug and rear tang.

Cut out oak leaf pattern with scissors out of heavy paper for a stencil.
I normally would paint barrel and all but didn't feel the need with the dull gray.
I have already camoed several shotguns (10 & 12 Ga.)for predator calling this same way. They blend in well in the field.

LilCal

If you get bored you can even change the pattern later!!!!
"Take your kid fishing"
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

That's purty neat lookin', I like it!

What paints and brand did you use?

ME
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Hi LilCal!! Been a while since you posted. I see what you've been up to now. Very nice. I like it.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

You did a nice job there LilCal, It look's pretty good.
contender hunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Contender 23'' Bull BBL. Custom laminate Stock

Post by contender hunter »

LiL Cal , I'm curious also , any special brand of paint to get it to stick ??
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

Wow lilcal that is good lookin. I'll have to get a pic up sometime of my 1st camo attempt on my shootin sticks. I obviously dont have your talent. I am also curious, do you tan your own 'yote hides? What method do you use? I have noticed that everybody on here chases them but nobody talks about ALL THE FETCHIN WORK AFTERWARDS!!! hahaha
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
LilCal

Post by LilCal »

Melvin and Contender,
Lately have been using a AERVOE Camouflage paint that is supposed to meet federal FS595 specs. You have to let it harden for a week before handling it harshly. It dries quickly to the touch but seems to be less fragile the longer you let it dry and set up.

Also use Specialty Camouflage paint from Rust-Oleum.

Lots of rough use will wear it down and you can scratch it if you contact metal. Not for everybody (since there are other options) but will most definately get the results if your desire is to totally blend in.

This picture with camoed 870 shotgun (asked the wife to take the pic and she is still shaking her head wondering about me). Imagine this in a fence row with a little vegetation around me. If calling with a partner my friend Jim usually carries this gun while I carry the CZ .204 rifle.

Rugerdogdog,
Have done the hides a bunch of different ways but now I skin them and turn them over green to the taxidermist and he sends them out when I feel the need for more decorative hides. I still have tanning supplies but I would rather spend that time hunting. I may get energetic this winter maybe!! The balance on my taxidermy bill may just give me the encouragement I need since I still have 2 full coyote mounts and some hides coming back soon. My fly tying friends benefit from some of the non prime pelts (it makes them very happy).

LilCal
"Take your kid fishing"
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

LilCal, Very nice job on both rifle and the gillie suit. You'd blend in great here on our high desert with that combo.

By the way, my wife wonders about me too, especially when practicing for coyote calling. She just shakes her head and goes into another room. The excitement really starts though when my two hounds start going bonzo and start howling at my calling. I've had neighbors call the cops, thinking someone was torturing small animals in the house.

Rose and Lucy, my Basset Hounds.....no rabbit or badger is safe when they're around. Talk about noses!

Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

contender hunter

Hey Guys , I was thinking that the new Fusion paint for plastic might work real good for the rynite or most synthetic stocks , I think its made by Krylon , has anyone tried it???
race4hills

Post by race4hills »

Rick great pic of your Basset Hounds , they are great dogs to have. Thank's for sharing.
204 try it you'll like it!
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

C T, I have painted 3 stocks with the krylon fusion and black webbing paint, I really like the way they turned out. A target grey ruger 7/08 and a kimber montana .260. Liked it so much I did my lam wood stocked ruger .204. Not really camo, but they hide nicely.
The .204
The kimber and ruger u.l.
Here is a link from 24 hr. campfire. Don

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... &fpart=all
contender hunter

Huntsman , thanks for the link!!!
LilCal

Post by LilCal »

Huntsman22,
those look great!!! I think that they would blend in well with most backgrounds.
Contender,
I'll bet that the Krylon fusion will be more durable than the paint I used. The link you gave said it was designed to stick to glass, plastic, wood,etc.. I want it as flat as possible with minimal shine. You can see my flash made the gray metal shine some on the final pic of my ruger.
Last year when fooling with my decoy I looked back at my setup once and caught a flash from my scope lense with gun on a Harris bipod. The bipod was painted and the gun was taped and everything blended very well but that flash could be a real problem. A fella really ought to screw a extension tube on his scope to shade and not let that light shine off the objective. You can't always set up with the sun to your back.
I know alot of this may seem like splitting hairs to some but it is one of the few variables I can try and control in my favor. I feel slightly better about some of those less than ideal setups where I am a bit more exposed in the open.

LilCal
"Take your kid fishing"
contender hunter

Hey every little thing you can do adds up to making a big difference , might be the difference between no fur and a good hunt sometime!!

I think the fusion would do a good job , and then the clear from brownells on top of the fusion would really seal it and protect from the bore solvents . thanks for all the info.
creekwalkr
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 single shot synthetic stock

Post by creekwalkr »

Unfortunately, I don't have time nor money for a painjob. . . NICE JOB LILCAL ! :hail:

I went to Wal-Mart and bought 3 or 4 rolls of cloth camo tape and carefully applied it to my Savage mod 12 with synthetic stock and blued barrel. It works very well for my location and purposes.

Also, the cloth tape doesn't reflect or shine like camo duct tape and it gives a good grip and texture to hold to.

One day I will take a stab at the painting business. . .

I'm very impressed. :D
"All I need is ONE GOOD SHOT . . ."