204 whacks em and stacks em in West Texas

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
hotrod3h

204 whacks em and stacks em in West Texas

Post by hotrod3h »

Posted this on Predator Masters but thought it would be a good idea to post over here as well.

I was in West Texas last weekend on the coyote hunting trip of a lifetime. I was looking forward to this trip ever since first seeing Predator Pursuit 1-3. This is where I first learned about night hunting. I thought that maybe it was the classic case of a video making something look much better than it actually is. Boy was I wrong!! Maybe I just hit it right or something but I thought it was BETTER than expected even with less than favorable weather conditions.

I arrived at Midland/Odessa airport to a windy day. Then it was off to the small town of Mentone which was 2 hours. I had been looking forward to this trip for a year that I had it planned. Guess I was too excited because I got pulled over for speeding by a Texas state trooper. I thought what a great start but it was fine once I told him I was going coyote hunting. He told me that there were a ton of them and he actually hit one with his cruiser just last week. Anyway just a warning and on my way.

Got to Mentone and met up with my guide. Skeet is a typical Texas guy very friendly and easy to get along with saying "Yes Sir" alot. Well we go to the trailer I'll be staying at for the next 3 days and I see Skeet stopping his truck and getting his gun out. Turns out 2 yotes had run out in front of the truck but no oppurtunity for a shot. I didn't see them but what a positive start. I got settled but the wind sure didn't. Just keep blowing and blowing. We talked and decided that if it was too bad to not even got out and spoil this good spot that we had to hunt. So I ate dinner and tried to get some sleep. Got up every few hours to check the wind but it never laid down and ended up totally missing my first night of hunting. Next day wasn't much better till much latter in the day around 4. We finally made a set up that worked. While working the howler on the foxpro heard several howling back and just when I turned to ask if he heard it I turn around and see a yote standing 20 yards from decoy and caller. Trotting trying to get downwind when the 204 goes off. First yote of the trip. Nice male.

Next set up we call in another yote that comes screaming in to distress sounds. Came in so fast couldn't get a shot off until he was down wind and much further out. Not a pretty sight. 2 stands in a row 2 yotes now things are heating up but night is approaching. So dinner time and off to start the night shift.

1st stand called in a pair I'll never forget the site of those eyes bouncing up that little hillside. They come in so fast and there not stopping. 40 yards in front of the truck I shot them running straight at the truck. What a rush. You could say I'm hooked!! Different hunting at night wasn't sure how I'd like it but let's just say I like it alot. Didn't take pics of the individual yotes. That's the way it went 1 stand 1 yote pretty much all night. Ended up with 2 or 3 dry stands that's it. We would drive a mile call for 20 minutes. Very effective I think most of the yotes responded to the howling and most were males. Even had a kit fox come in on a set up what a bonus.

First day total: 2 yotes during the day. 12 yotes at night plus 1 kit fox. 14 yotes and a fox not bad for the first day/night.

Decide to not even hunt during the day so just work on night hunting for the last day. First set up resulted in 4 yotes called in but wasn't a good spot too brushy. Ended up just getting 1. But this night was different than day before. We were getting multiples like crazy. Best yote set up resulted in 3 yotes. Best set up called in 3 kit fox and 2 yotes. We started at 7:30 and by midnight had 10 yotes down. The wind picked up again and only managed 3 the rest of the night. No telling how many we could have had if the wind would have stayed down. Some pictures from the 2nd night and the damage 204 does. 2nd night total was 13 yotes and 3 kit foxes.

Part II

Now this is 2 nights of hunting in West Texas.

Total for 2 nights was 27 coyotes with 4 kit foxes. All but 3 were shot with the 204. Other 3 were shot with my swift just as something different. Most of my shots were low and if you shoot low not a pretty site. But I was really impressed with my 204. Some have good to say about it others let's just say not so good. That's up to them I know what my 204 does and as shown in the pictures when bullet is placed right absolutely no fur damage to speak of.

This was my first trip to West Texas but won't be my last!! Hunting yotes during the breeding season sure is different and I think great time to be there. Sure can tell the difference but a hungry yote and love struck yote. Hope you enjoyed the story and pics as much as I did.
Gmoney
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter .204 topped with a Leupy 4-12

Post by Gmoney »

Absolutely awesome!

You say most of these were howled up? Female invitation, challenge?

Great pics and post!

GW
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Great post, great shots, and no doubt a great hunt you'll never forget. That sure was some action, the kind of nights we all hope for.

Thanks for sharing, keep us posted on your next West Texas adventure! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

cracker

Post by cracker »

great pics and story. what were you shooting out of the 204
Sportingly
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

HOLY CRAP MAN!!! That is impressive. I guess I have to start believing some guys claims of 10+ yotes in a day. Like the late, great Johnny Cash said, " Its been proved to you."
Seriously, Hotrod, What load were you shooting? That will go a loooong way to quieting the folks that say the .204 is not enough gun for a song dog!
Also, on a more personal note, (you dont have to answer if you dont want to), What does a guided hunt like that cost? You are probably even further from W. Tex than me! I could not afford to go to TX but maybe I could find a guide in NV!? :chin:
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
Gmoney
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter .204 topped with a Leupy 4-12

Post by Gmoney »

This guide is a buddy of the "Texas Predator Pursuits" guys Woodall and Thomason.....

You may be able to get some contact info from looking at the Texas Predator Pursuits website under their pro-staff member as he is one I believe.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Whoa!

Post by Ryan S Albright »

You are the King! but I do have to say that chair in the back of the pick up is a nice set up. I would love to try that set up. The 204 is a nice shooter!
hotrod3h

Post by hotrod3h »

Glad you enjoyed the pictures. I'm by no means a "king" or "expert" far from it. I missed a coyote at 20 yards...lol.. In my defense he was running down wind but that shot still haunts me. I'm like everyone I guess I hate to miss. But I did spend ALOT of time at the bench getting the right load.

The gun is a CZ 527 American (which I really like by the way) shooting a 35gr Berger. 28gr of H4895 with a 2.299 OAL. This load doesn't shoot as good as the factory hornady 32gr v-maxes but almost as good.

The hunt was $450 a day if your by yourself. $300 a day if you go with another. That's alot of money and some people would never pay that. But I don't have many yotes to speak of around here so to me it's worth going. I know that's for everyone but if you can afford it I'd definately suggest it. Skeet's contact info is on the Predator Pursuit boy's website but please let me get my dates for next year!!! LOL
contender hunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Contender 23'' Bull BBL. Custom laminate Stock

Post by contender hunter »

Hotrod , nice going !!! Looks like you had a few very busy nights , What was your set-up as far as a light ?? Here in PA we use a red light mounted on a hat for seeing the fox coming in , there eyes bounce also .One night I had a fox hang up about 75 yds out so I put the rifle on him and just wasn't able to see the crosshairs , how do you see through the scope in the dark??
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Great story Hotrod and nice pictures. Sounds like you had an exciting trip, wish I could go to one like that but Texas is a ways off for me. Thanks for sharing with us.