called in my first last night

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
ulen mn
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

called in my first last night

Post by ulen mn »

It was a clear night and bright moon here in my part of Minnesota last night so I went hunting around 10:30. made one set and nothing packed up and moved about half mile to a deer feed plot a freind has and parked my truck inside it a little ways and walked to the other end, I set my FX-3 out in the CRP and tucked just inside a corn row and started calling. I tried a cotton tail in distress for a while then waited and then tried the lucky bird and nothing then around 11:45 I started thinking about trying a female invite this is where things went wrong. After about 10 min. the deer that had been all around me started to get a little nervous and looking to the north, and sure enought back behind me tward where I had parked my truck came some barking ( or that general direction ) I tried to give another invite and the fx would not talk after looking through my scope I seen the little green light for low battery. ( I had been out all day calling with it. ) Lesson learned 1.) Park farther away and get a little exercise getting into a stand 2.) :oops: Carry extra batteries in my pouch. But eventhough I never had a chance to get as shot off or see the yote that came it was still a good night. Atleast I learned a lesson and will do better next time hopefully. How long should I wat till I go back to this spot?????
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

ulem nm
This is my first year trying to call in coyotes too and I’ve learned a lot. In 2 weeks around Christmas I called in 6 yotes and only got one. All the others were my fault mostly not staying long enough in one area, on one I made one distress call then decide I wasn’t in the best place so I stood up to move and there was a nice one 40 yards away. I probably could have sat down and called him back but I took a standing shoot and missed. On the way out I saw tracks of 2 more that were on their way when I shot. So there were 3 dogs that I educated that day. Anyway keep with it and learn from your mistakes.
dogcaller

Post by dogcaller »

ulen mn what a bummer. Good going though, now its in your blood. I'd wait at least a couple of weeks before going back. park in a completely different spot, and maybe even call from a different location if possible. This may keep old wily from getting the wiser.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Niight Calling

Post by Ryan S Albright »

If you can call on uneven ground if you are working with lights you will have an advantage if you are down low shining your light on hill sides or you are up high looking down. Hunting around small drainages where you can light across ditches where coyotes fill secure that you can't get to them.