Two firsts with a .204

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
goody523

Two firsts with a .204

Post by goody523 »

Thanks to all the help from various members on this board I have two firsts:

1) Finally got my first coyote on a trip to Texas

For all the guys who are stuck hunting in the Midwest like me, there is hope for predator calling - you just need to head to someplace there are actually predators! In seven stands I called in 6 coyotes and 2 bobcats - this is a pretty big contrast to my record in Michigan of 13 stands and zero game sighted.

2) Shot my first game with my own reloads (special thanks to the many guys here who gave me general reloading info and specific info for my Browning Varmint Stalker). The load was a 35 gr Berger HP over 28.2 grains of Varget. Imperceptable entry wound (side facing you in the photo, exit wound about the size of a dime). Coyote made it about 25 yards before piling up.

Now I just need to figure out to engineer more business trips to Texas and explain to my co-workers why I have a gun case in addition to my duffle bag when they pick me up at the airport!
If I spent as much time trying to manage my investments as I do researching guns and shooting I could retire 15 years earlier...
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Re: Two firsts with a .204

Post by WrzWaldo »

goody523 wrote: Now I just need to figure out to engineer more business trips to Texas and explain to my co-workers why I have a gun case in addition to my duffle bag when they pick me up at the airport!
Tell them it's a new sales strategy! :eek:
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

The case containes sales posters, no, it contains your guitar, or maybe it IS your rifle for eliminatng the competition..... :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Don't give up on Michigan

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Don't give up on Michigan keep trying to develope the hunting near home. But you are right you need to locate where they are at. Develope your tracking skills and see if you can't locate them around home and call them in. Use a howler call at night and see if you get a response then return in the day. You will have to travel the roads at night and play the noise to locate them.
goody523

Post by goody523 »

I actually know they are in the places I have been hunting in Michigan - see the dens, the tracks, the scat - everything except the actual animal. It is very strange to me how easy it was in Texas compared to how difficult it is in Michigan. I don't think they are "call smart" in Michigan, but I do not have any explanation for the huge difference in results. I wish I could figure it out as it sure is a lot easier to get in my truck and drive 10-20 miles than it is to get on an airplane and fly 1300!
If I spent as much time trying to manage my investments as I do researching guns and shooting I could retire 15 years earlier...
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

goody523--Congratulations on the two firsts!!! You used a bullet on that coyote that is near and dear to my heart--35 gr. FB HP Berger!!! When you place the bullet in the right spot, that is a superb coyote bullet.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
janneuf

Everything but tracks with a coyote in them

Post by janneuf »

Goody

I hear ya man. I got into coyote hunting in Indiana about 20 years ago or more and we used to have great success calling. I made 3 stands once in a 10 day period and called in 3 the first time, 1 the second and 2 the third calling from the exact same spot. In addition to bringing them in I brought them in FAST, I'll bet I never called for over 2 minutes at the longest and twice saw coyotes within the first 30 seconds of calling.

Here in Kentucky it's a different story. I'll bet I've made 50 stands this year and called in one coyote. Same story as in Michigan. Tracks, scat and howling but no coyotes coming to the call. I'm about ready to just start calling with a turkey hen call since I think that's what they're eating.
janneuf
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

Kentucky sounds a lot like central Utah. I dont have 50 sets in this year but I bet its close to 30. About half of the time I talk to them with the howler usually from GREAT distance. There are places that there are more 'yote tracks than rabbit tracks. Only have one successful set up when I called in 3!!! :eek: Wish I was a better shot, I only got 1. :x
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
georgetwalkerjr

Where?

Post by georgetwalkerjr »

Just curious, where in Texas? Congratulations, and thanks for the report!
goody523

Post by goody523 »

North of Dallas about 60 miles on a ranch owned by my old college roomate's parents. They aren't into hunting too much, but when their little Yorkshire Terriers started to disappear when they let them out at night to go to the bathroom their opinion on shooting coyotes and bobcats changed fast. One great thing about Texas for out of state guys is that for coyotes, bobcats and hogs you don't need a license if the varmints are causing harm to the land or domestic animals.