Finally bagged a coyote with my .204

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Finally bagged a coyote with my .204

Post by bullfrog »

I've been trying all winter to bust a coyote with my .204 with no luck...but today was different.
I live at the base of the east slope of the Cascade Mountains. As you can see in the pics, it is pretty heavily forested around here. It's tough to find a spot where you can see them coming in before they wind you, and sometimes they come in so fast it is hard to get a shot. This time it was the latter.
I hoofed it down a dirt road for about 3/4 of a mile in a section of national forest that had burned last year. Most of the trees were still standing, but a lot of the brush had burned up. I found a place to make a stand where I could see about 150 yards in front of me with out to much interference. I sat at the base of a pine tree with a good view of the open area. I set my caller up about 50 yards away, and let the bunny distress squeel. About 5 minutes into the session, 3 dogs came runnin down the hill to my right at about 75-100 yards away. Thats right, 3 of them. I waited until I could move my shootin sticks without being detected, and took aim. I started to squeeze the trigger on the middle one, but just before I could shoot the lead one winded me, or the call, and took off the way it came. This spooked both the others. They ran about 50 yards, and stopped and looked back at the call. I tried to get a fix on one of them that stopped at the top of the hill, but there was to much brush in the way. Next thing I knew they were gone. But they never saw me.
I sat there letting the call wail for a very long 30 seconds or so, and sure enough one of them appeared at the edge of the hill. I could see her head and neck, but her body was behind some brush at 125 yards. I knew this might be my last chance, so I squeezed the trigger. I didn't see it drop, but I saw fur in the air so I ran up the hill towards the other 2 dogs to see if I could get a running shot. Never saw them again. When I got to the one I shot, it had a baseball sized exit wound. I guess that is what you get when you hit them in the neck.
Man...that was fun. :D

Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Well done bullFrog, nice looking coyote ya got there.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Way to go Bullfrog. Coyoting is an exciting sport that challenges you continually. I got one Saturday in the fog. I like the camo on your rifle. Thanks for sharing and the great pictures. :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Way to go Bullfrog...you're makin' us proud! :wink: Good job.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

bullfrog--Good going!!! At least you got the .204 blooded!!!

What bullet are you using? If it is a handload, do you have any idea what your muzzle velocity might be?
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
bullfrog

Post by bullfrog »

Silverfox - I was using factory hornady loads with 40 grain v-max. I don't reload as of yet. I would like to get into it, but right now with a new business, and a new son :binkybaby: I don't have time.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bullfrog: As a neighbor, I'll just wish you good luck on the new business, and congratulations on the new son!

Way to go dad! :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

bullfrog

Post by bullfrog »

Thanks Rick! The business is 1 yr. old, and the Boy is 3 months. Both are doing great. I can't wait until the boy is old enough to go huntin with his old man. Probably should wait till he can walk. ;)
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Good Job

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Hey good job bullfrog. Hunting coyote's is challenging I have long dry spells also hunting them. That dog has some nice color to it, They take on the color of the area they are in amazing. When I was eighteen I saw what looked like a wolf near a trail head to Charity one of the three Sisters. It was long legged and wooly twice I saw dogs like this the other was on the Deshutes river canyon near Moody Junction toward the Columbia river. Good hunting. Congadulations on the new child and buesness,
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

It's brutal waiting for the kids to grow up! My lil 17 mo. old is walking around the house QUITE well, but she falls in the sagebrush alot out in the field!
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
Singleshot

Post by Singleshot »

Bullfrog; Good goin on the coyote. But where is all the snow? If you were up here in Alberta the coyote's nose would be dragging in it. Makes it pretty tough to go anywhere on foot.