Basil Brush meets the 204 (photos)

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Drew Jaeger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF II

Basil Brush meets the 204 (photos)

Post by Drew Jaeger »

Yesterday evening I had a bit of spare time available and decided to go out and spotlight a fox.

It was a successful night with the 204 nailing a total of seven foxes. Most shots were around the 120m to 180m mark and all in the head/neck. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the first fox shot - he was in a rock outcrop which looked all too similar – no photo. The second had an injury on his left leg. The third fox was chewing on a piece of lamb. The last fox was the best shot, hillside to hillside - I could only see his reflectors, even with the scope on 14x I couldn't clearly make out the body in the light. I placed the cross-hairs a whisker above the eyes and touched off. I could just see the white of his chest roll over - the shot would have been around 300m! (To be confirmed at a later date)

The beaut thing was I could see all red-misting action and each basil going down through the scope. I am very impressed with the 204 and absolutely love those 39gr BlitzKings!!!!!

The arrival

Survived the first injury, second injury was terminal

Lamb for dinner

Back flipped on impact

Dropped at 180m

Misted at 120m

The long shot, ~300m

The property owner was contacted this morning and was quite impressed with the fox tally followed by, "when are you able to come out again?"
Cheers

Drew

"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Drew, nice job! Thanks for the pics.:lol: Gary
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Drew, Those are some beautiful foxes. They look like they have been eating well. Great shooting and thanks for the pictures.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Good Job. It is amazing how long a shot you can make at night. How much candle light power are you using and what color of lenses.
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Drew job well done, and some pretty nice picture's of the fox. Thanks
Drew Jaeger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF II

Post by Drew Jaeger »

Thanks fellas, it was a very satifying result indeed.
Ryan S Albright wrote:How much candle light power are you using and what color of lenses.
I use a Lightforce SL170 which is over 1,000,000 candlelight power. Just use the standard clear lens.
Cheers

Drew

"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."