BR Pivot at Midway

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

BR Pivot at Midway

Post by Mike »

I just noticed that Midway has the BR Pivot listed on its web site. As previously discussed, there are two models: wood top and plastic top. There is no mention of a lightweight version, so I assume that these two models are based off of Rick's standard BR Pivot. If so, I must admit that I'm a bit disappointed in Midway's pricing. The wood top model costs more than it did when Rick sold them.

Rick, have you had a chance to test one of the new benches yet? Also, do you know where these are being manufactured (China?)?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=384204

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=586140
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: BR Pivot at Midway

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Mike: I was talking to them yesterday (Monday 3/31), and the units are in transit to them now. They promised to send me one just as soon as they land there in MO, which should be about another week.

We leave Thursday morning of this week for a four day shoot, then another one two weeks later. It is my hope to have the "new" BRP for the second shoot, and if that works out, I'll report my findings and some photos here.

You are correct: "China" (makes me cringe just to type that, believe me. We'll see how they look and perform though....I'm hoping the glass is half full.) ;) They're made at the same factory that produces all the other Caldwell Shooting items such as their BR Rock front rest and Lead Sled. The plant is overseen by an American Production Manager and floor manager to keep quality consistent and as high as possible I'm told. I'm also a bit surprised by the price.

As for the BRP Lite, I'm told it will be another year away.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Mike

Post by Mike »

Rick in Oregon wrote:I'm also a bit surprised by the price.
I would not be the least bit surprised to see Midway running a "special" on these benches in the not-too-distant future. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I just can't see them flying out of the warehouse at the current prices.

Rick: I'll look forward to your review in the coming months. If Midway wants to get a deal on shipping, they could float one down my direction for a review as well. :idea:
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Mike: I just got an update from Battenfield/Caldwell on the BR Pivot. The benches are due into their warehouse on or about 21 April, so they should be available soon thereafter.

One of the first benches out the door will be shipped to me, so I should have something to offer in early May. I've got a four day rat shoot planned for mid-May, so will take it into the field for a true "field test" and let you know how it works out. "Film at 11:00....." ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Mike

Post by Mike »

Rick: That's great news! I will look forward to your review, though I doubt skippy will be nearly as enthusiastic as I am!

As a side note, where's a good place to look around for someone selling one of your BR Pivot benches? I've been keeping an eye on the Go Go Varmint classified section, but wonder if there are other places to watch?
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Mike: You could check out Craig's List, as a friend purchased one there, also you may want to post a "want to buy" on GGVG Classifieds to see if one pops up, and maybe even over at Saubier.com, as there are a few guys using them there that haunt that site.

As for Skippy.....he's never too happy to see me or my crew...can't imagine why..... :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

Glad I bought mine from Rick.

I boycott China whenever I can. It's tough, but I wish more would do the same...
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

Your wish came partially true. I boycott 'em all I can, too. Does one more count?.....Don
Mike

Post by Mike »

Rick: Thanks for the tips. I keep an eye on Craigslist and my local paper, even though I know the odds are stacked against me. I'll keep an eye on the other sites that you mentioned as well.

Thanks,
Mike
race4hills

Post by race4hills »

204 try it you'll like it!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Great links! Thank you for sharing them.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Mike: (And others who have interest....) I just got a call from the owner of Midway, and the Brown Santa Truck will have the very first Caldwell BR Pivot on it for me to test Tuesday, 29 April, next week.

I'll check it out, post some photos of it here, and we'll find out if it's the equal to what was considered by many to be "the best portable rotating bench rest in the world" (not my words, but those of some writers you'd recognize).

Finally! We'll see if the wait was worth it next week......stay tuned......
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Mike

Post by Mike »

Rick: That's exciting news! I'll look forward to your feedback once you get a chance to thoroughly examine the new bench. For the price that Larry is asking, it better be good!