Different varmints

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Gmetme
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber .204 Ruger

Different varmints

Post by Gmetme »

Last Friday a friend and I went out to a local farm to help out the farmer, who had been in touch to get rid of a few turkeys. He also wanted some peacocks tidied up also, as with the turkeys, were getting too numerous. Didn't have to ask twice!! I took both my CZ17hmr and Kimber 204R. my buddy John had his Beretta semi shotgun, but used the hmr instead. We only saw one pesky peacock, but I didn't take the shot, as it was too close to farm animals - I could've, but the nearby sheep may have freaked out too much. The darn peacock slunk away into the trees, not to be seen again. We could hear them calling all over the place, but they are wily things and tend to let all-comers know when you've been spotted! :mad: . We plan on an afternoon shoot to cull some soon..
So it was back to the turkeys. We found a small bunch of 'em and John nailed 3 before they scarpered. So we sat in some shade for a while to let things settle, then over a couple of hills to some more.
In the first pic, the turkeys are near the right tree nearest centre, the second, a closer look at 'em. the fellow standing to the right was soon to fall over. And he did, a 219 yard shot, according to my r/f.
Some scenery from the top of the farm..

It was sure a great morning to be out, hopefully again very soon. Cheers
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Different varmints

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Looks like a very nice outing indeed. Beautiful country to take a walkabout in. What state/country?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Setting there looking at that view while waiting for a live target to pop would SUCK!!

:lol: :lol: That is a couple of awesome views right there!! Thanks for sharing!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Gmetme
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber .204 Ruger

Post by Gmetme »

What state/country?
I live here in New Zealand, on the Coromandel Peninsula. Our town is a holiday centre, but supports forestry,farming and fishing. Being summer now,the gamefishing is starting to hot up, but getting out with the .204 (to me) is just as much fun. The only problem is my 55y.o. body has a bit of difficulty keeping up to the hill walking :eek: . Maybe I'd best get a bit fitter so I can enjoy it more. Or get a quad bike 8) . There are some feral goats in this area too, and I shot 3 of 'em last year about a mile from where these turkeys were downed.
At this time of year, the turks are eating a lot of crickets, and it tends to make them taste like .... so this was purely a cull. The best time to take them for eating is about July. Darn Peacocks though..they take some gettin' at..
Cheers, Bob.
Clover_Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR100

Post by Clover_Shooter »

Only in New Zealand would a too many Turkey's be a varmint. LOL :lol:
There are no hunting seasons and no limits on turkey in New Zealand, and the birds receive very limited hunting pressure. You can hunt them 365 days a year.

Man I can't wait for spring Gobbler season in the states.
Buglemintoday
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 204 ruger

Post by Buglemintoday »

Looks like a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing

Justin
Rich V
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ Varmint

Post by Rich V »

Varmint turkeys!!! That will never happen here. Always wanted to visit New zealand. Beautiful country, with trout as big as submarines.