Help from the Midwest Coyote hunters.

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
22 Mag

Help from the Midwest Coyote hunters.

Post by 22 Mag »

I am looking for some help from the Midwest Coyote hunting guys. What time of day works best for you? Early morning; Mid day; just before dusk?

We have been out mostly mid afternoon to just before dusk. We see lots of scat, tracks, but no dogs as of yet. None of the coyotes have barked at us or made any indication that they have "made" our set. We just have not seen any dogs at all.
We have one of us cover the backdoor, put the Foxpro out by the lead person and try to have the wind in our face or coming in from one of the sides. We have been setting up on the edge of marsh areas over looking small clearings and some fields with rolling hills.

Any suggestions, please.

22 Mag
"Happiness is not having everything you want, but wanting everything you have"
Buglemintoday
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 204 ruger

Re: Help from the Midwest Coyote hunters.

Post by Buglemintoday »

Is the area pressured a lot by predator callers/trappers?

I usually stay at a spot calling for 30 minutes or so. IF you're trying a lot of howling and other types of barking, id switch to strictly some sort of rabbit distress or maybe even a woodpecker in distress if there happens to be fox or bobcats around.

I've called animals up at all times of the day/night. I have permission to hunt some property where you could call all day and never see anything and other property where most of my calling sessions last less then 5 minutes before I have an animal come in.

Is the area that you're calling known for Coyotes? Some areas just don't have a real thick population of them.

Good Luck!
the_right_reverend
.204 Ruger Guns: RUGER KM77VT MKII

Post by the_right_reverend »

I am going to throw this in here.......

If there are any coyote hunters in the Cole County Missouri near Russellvile, PM me

Mom has a infestation of yotes on her cattle farm

During Christmas hunt most anytime during the day I use a varity of Foxpro sounds, locator, pups in distress, rabbit, greatings, just kind of switch them up sometimes throw a Jack in the Box in the mix
It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men....Image
Buglemintoday
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 204 ruger

Post by Buglemintoday »

the_right_reverend wrote: If there are any coyote hunters in the Cole County Missouri near Russellvile, PM me

Mom has a infestation of yotes on her cattle farm
:eek: :eek: Someone needs to jump on that deal :eek: :eek:
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Set up looking down wind they will be trying to get down wind of the call for a sniff. You should be able to get a shot in before they get to close. I have had a lot of unsucesfull stand but when you get one its a hoot. The other night I drove down a road to make a stand and when I parked I shined the light in the air and turned it on to make sure it was working the second I did it the coyote's started to howl I think there was enough moistier in the are to show the beam. I called any way nothing they where about 400 hundred yards away. What can you do but try again they learn very fast. So get tricky.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

Post by cshooter »

I generally go out around the mid to late afternoon. I make sure that the area has been seen to have coyotes in it and is an area where they like to hunt mice/rabbits, ect. Then I set up and waite all the way up until it gets too dark to see. Most of the time they will come in to hunt some time in that time period. Then I snipe them off. Grass waterways, CRP fields, weedy corn stalks, brushy creeks, alfalfa/hay fields and small wood lots of 10 acres or less are all good areas around central Illinois. But the coyotes have to be there and have good game populations for this to work. And you need a good area to set up unnoticed. As a last resort I'll use a call if I know they are around but none show up after a few days. I like the way you shoot one, his buddy does'nt know where the lightning came out of and stands there for a good second and sometimes even third kill. Good feeding areas are a must for this all to work, but it's fun when it does. Plus the coyotes don't seem to wise up if you miss and are right back there the next day. Work for me........