Squirrel report from eastern Oregon

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Squirrel report from eastern Oregon

Post by Jim White »

This past Sunday my youngest son and I headed out to eastern Oregon to partake in some pest control activities. We left Portland around 7:30 AM and headed out along the banks of the Columbia River.
As always, the drive through the gorge is very scenic and for those that have never taken a trip through there, you’re really missing out on some nice scenery.
Since my youngster just got his driving permit I figured I’d let him chauffer me around for a change. All in all, he did good. I’m just glad for his sake that there weren’t any of those notoriously strong “gorge” winds that day.
After going over a 5400 ft pass and taking in the country side,
a slight breeze and a lot of squirrels.
we arrived at our destination in late afternoon and got unpacked. We were eager to make up for lost time since we weren’t able to go last year.
On Monday morning we were greeted with sunshine,
I’m just glad I bought as many rifles along as I did because it is nice to have backups when the barrels need to cool. In fact, I shot far more rim-fire than I had planned on because of this.
All rifles shot magnificently but for the 204’s, I had to limit the targets to 350 yards and beyond because anything less really wasn’t a challenge. But at 400 yards and beyond with 8-15 mph winds @ 60-90 degrees it was quite the challenge (which I prefer any way). The 204

and the 17 HMR
For the snaky like critters my son had a Springfield Armory 1911 45 ACP on his hip that I picked up new for $289.00 IIRC in the mid 80’s. Since then it’s been worked over including a “Bar-Sto" barrel and it’s a hammer in its own right. Naturally, he’s laid claim to it but the Mrs. (also known as “Mom”) has other ideas. I had a Smith & Wesson Model 1006 for myself so I figured between the two we had things covered. Here he is trying his hand at squirrels “over-yonder”.
We stayed out in one of the fields about four hours before we decided to have some lunch. After lunch we headed over to another part of the ranch and again enjoyed the same success we had earlier that morning.

After we had been bench resting it for a while the youngster decided he would take the 22 around and try his off-hand skills. He did pretty good but the trigger is a tad crude as compared to his 17 HMR but he adjusted nicely.
Finally, late Monday evening we called it a day. We spent approximately 9 hrs out in the fields and every time we moved to another location we could see the local raven and crow populations feasting. We didn’t clean them all out but we took out a mess of them, probably 600-700 between us. Here is one that just felt a little bloated.
And another who just needed to clear his mind. I prescribed him some 17-HMRprofin.

And finally, one who just couldn’t keep it together;
On Tuesday, the weather certainly “was-not” ideal for shooting rats. It was windy, rainy and the chill factor was down in the mid 40’s. In fact, we didn’t see a single squirrel until almost 10 AM, so the morning was dismal to say the least. The afternoon was better but very breezy and with heavy clouds. We spent the better part of the late afternoon shooting the 17’s and 22 long rifles. All things considered, we did all right, besides, we both had fun and that’s what it’s all about.

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. On Wednesday morning we departed but the weather sure looked promising for a good day…
Until next time…
Last edited by Jim White on Tue May 25, 2010 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
remy3424
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700, Tika T3, Ruger 77R MKII., Savage Pred., Rem XR100 +

Re: Squirrel report from eastern Oregon

Post by remy3424 »

Sounds like a good time was had. A great father-son bonding trip. They grow-up quick.
Take a kid to the range, both of you will be glad you did. remy3424
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

I was over two weekends ago. The wind was brutal and ever changing. Not only the direction changes but velocity. On top of that, we were hunting with a rim about 400 yards away. We could see the mirage which was heavy, change direction with the wind a number of times. Most of the time, the wind was blowing one way where I was sitting, and the other way at the targets.

I found that 225-250 was about the limit with the 204. Anything within 225 were easy to hit. Still an excellent time and we killed several hundred rats.
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Lenard,

I saw the WA pass report this AM and they were calling for snow fluries. Gee's, I'm glad I was able to get my trip in and have some targets. I spoke with someone earlier today about another trip later on and they mentioned it was a tad cool over there this week.

Remy,

You're right pardnor, the kids grow up in a hurry. Before long he'll be out on his own and it may be hard for hime to go so I enjoy the time while I can, even if there weren't any targets of opportunity.

Jim
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Pictures man pictures! Gary
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Great story you can imagane the shoot but we really like pics :D
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim: Sure glad the trip worked out for you guys. Enjoyed the adventure. Now about that camera thing........you know how we are! ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White

Post by Jim White »

To all,

I edited the original post (added pictures with the story).

JW
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

NICE!!!!! :wtg: :) :) :)
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Post by BabaOriley »

Great pics Jim! Thanks!
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

The West coast sure offers some beautiful scenery. Thanks for sharing it. :mrgreen: Glad you guys had so much fun out there too. That really is what it's all about. Congrats on the safe trip & the shooting fun.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Wow Jim, the pics sure spruced up the post. :D Looks like you guys had a grand time poaching "our" squirrels. ;) Hey, no worry, there's plenty of the little buggers around for everyone, just ask the ranchers. More fun than prairie dogs, much dumber, and more of 'em too.

Glad you and your son had such a grand time. Thanks for posting the pics.....that country looks purty familiar. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

:D :D :D ahhhh Pictures! :wink: Gary
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

Hey Jim is that a rem 700 vlss. I have 2 and love them
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

majcl5 wrote:Hey Jim is that a rem 700 vlss. I have 2 and love them
It is and I have 2 as well. Picked both them up @ Cabelas on their used gun racks. This particular one is my 2nd one (picked up brand new) and I shot it more because it need the rounds thru it to get it seasoned & broken in. It shoots quite well too.

To everyone else, thanks for all the kind words. Heck I may post pictures from my fishing trip last fall over on the Snake River. Gotta' write the story first though.

Jim