Ar 204 ruger with shilen 1 in 9 twist

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Ar 204 ruger with shilen 1 in 9 twist

Post by Valar »

Putting together my first ar in 204 Ruger. I am new to ar and 204. I have been hunting coyote in Illinois with Rem 700 bdl 22-250. I am having some second thoughts about ordering the Shilen 1 and 9 twist ar barrel. If there is any feedback out there I would appreciate it. I am afraid the 1 in 9 twist will have allot more recoil than a 1 in 12. Also will lighter bullets such as varmit grenades disinigrate from the faster twist? I dont want to get much over a 40 grainer as bullet length will increase and I am not sure if they will feed properly in the Ar format? Any feedback will be appreciated. I have read allot of reviews about the shilen and so far all have been good? Am I worrying to much :? :?
MT204
.204 Ruger Guns: custom ar15

Re: Ar 204 ruger with shilen 1 in 9 twist

Post by MT204 »

Same barrel as your looking at. No problems with any of the bullets you mentioned, absolute tack driver. My son has same barrel on ar and no problems either.
Valar

Post by Valar »

Thank you I will give it a go. Parts on the way anyhow. I went with a Nikon 4 - 12 x 40 for a scope. I have two Leupold 6.5 to 20 x on 22-250- and 308. Great scopes but found coyote hunting I didnt need that kind of power. To Hard to acure running target turned uo that high. We shall see. I appreciate your imput
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Depending on how you had the chamber cut, you may even want to consider some Berger 50gr bullets for the .204...

When I had my .204 upper built, that question came up as the builder was wanting to know if I was planning to reload the 50gr... This was several years ago and the 50s had just come out...

I decided to stick with the 40gr and my chamber was cut for the V-Max bullet...My barrel is a 1/12 twist and if I get another, it will be a 1/10 and cut for the 50gr...
AR
Factory/Factory
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

"I am afraid the 1 in 9 twist will have allot more recoil than a 1 in 12"

Huh? Twist has a perceptable recoil component? Curious where you read or heard that at?

Must be new physics.

Allen
TXNinVA
.204 Ruger Guns: None...yet

Post by TXNinVA »

I have friends on several boards who said the 26gr varmint grenades shoot fine in fast twists. 1:10'S that I know of pushing 4100fps out of the barrel with no issues.
Valar

Post by Valar »

Allen
It stands to reason logicly to me that a 1 in 9inch twist would give more resistance than a 1 in 12 therfore more recoil. I am no physichist by any means just seams logical? I do not wish to shoot 50 grain bullets, I have a 22-250 for that. I want to shoot lighter faster low recoil rounds, and veiw the impact. Would a i in 9 be less recoil? :hic:
Valar

Post by Valar »

Also where I think faster twist could mean more recoil. The bullet leaves the gun impacting a steaper angle of rifle twist, Does this not make more recoil? I honestly do not know and have not read iTt anywhere. This just seams logical to me???? A steaper faster angle of twist will make bullet spin faster, however I think for" every action equal and opposite reaction". "Isac Newton I beleive?? Does anyone out the have the actual answer?
hemiallen

Post by hemiallen »

OK

Straight faced

Sure, there is more resistance from a faster twist barrel than a slow twist rate, but it is insignificant to the effects of the rearward thrust of the firearm, ie you will never know the difference. Fast twist barrels are slightly slower than a slow twist barrel, but chamber to chamber differences make velocity changes due to twist insignificant, again. The thought twist rate affects the gun's recoil,,,,,,, , wouldn't you think the gun would twist ( rotate in the opposite direction of the twist) right out of your hands? It is spinning the bullet a a phenominal rotation rate....

If you can tell the difference in recoil between a reload with 26 grains of H 335 vs a load of 27 grains h335, ie a hundred feet per second difference ( roughly) then you are as sensitive as a gal at that time of the month....

Sorry, not trying to be funny. I am not a physicist, but my boss is..... actually they are nuclear physicists. Don't ask where I work.....

Allen
Valar

Post by Valar »

OK fair enough, However my 22-250 shoots a bullet only 20 thousands of a inch larger in diameter at about the same velocity. I can not see bullet impact for barrel jump. I guess is the diff between a .224 bullet and .204 the Holy Grail in bullet spec. I am not trying to be smart either and I appreciate your feedback!
hemiallen

Post by hemiallen »

Well taken...

You need to look at recoil energy of each load, and the weight of each gun. Faster bullets recoil more back, while slower / heavier bullet speed raises the muzzle more. You see this exagerated in handguns. Sometimes faster rounds actually hit LOWER at say a 25 yard target than practice ammo does, because your hand can't control muzzle flip in a handgun like in a rifle. I shot USPSA-IPSC competition long enough to learn this.....

Another factor is recoil also makes your eye close, so even though the scope may still be seeing the target at impact, your eye may not detect it, ie someone who tolerates recoil well can see more than someone who cringes at recoil... I have never heard of a guy with a heavy 223 or 22-250 having problems seeing impact, but distance of course comes into the equation also.

I suspect your 22-250 is a light barrel gun, like mine in an ADL, while my 204's have heavy barrels.

Allen
Valar

Post by Valar »

Allen yes it is a rem 700 bdl in 22-250 It is nice for off hand shooting coyotes. I am sure the heavy shilen barrel on the ar 204 will not jump near as much. I will see next weekend. I Have all parts except bolt carrier and wrench. They should be hear Teusday! I have my lower assembled. I will post some pics next week after I get her built and broke in. Will just be shooting a stock trigger for now as this project has run around 1250.00 already. I will install some jp springs for now till a better trigger is in the budjet. Bolt carrier was back ordered so I cancelled and ordered a Les Bear Bolt carrier. I picked up a new Nikon scope and it seems very clear. I just could not swing another leupold at this time. I will be satisfied as long as the Nikon holds zero well. Thanks for all your insight!
Valar

Post by Valar »

Folks she is a shooter! I am amazed! started with dog town 34 grainers 3 shots a dime willl cover!, Next 32 grain v max4 4 shots dime will cover. Then 40 grain v max 3 shots fired dime covers! 26 grain Varmit grenade, didnt expect much with on and 9 twist, Lw and behold with http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u109/valar5/25 grains 10x powder 3 shots dime covers! Last test Copetition with buddy dog town bullets 3 shots in 4 seconds Dave beat me 3 shots under 4 sec covered bye a quarter at 100 yrds>!!!! This beast shootS!!
Last edited by Valar on Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Valar

Post by Valar »

Valar

Post by Valar »

Last link works fine scroll or select veiw all pics. This gun is amazing shoots all bullets well with right powder config> Awsome I am amazed!