Another sage rat expedition has concluded. (Pics and Prose.)

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Another sage rat expedition has concluded. (Pics and Prose.)

Post by Wrangler John »

Another sage rat expedition has concluded. This year I scheduled the trip on the advise of my Oregon friend Tony for the second week in April. He is now my former friend. Maybe that’s too harsh. Let’s just say he lost a bit of shine, like a Connie Francis tune on a country music station’s playlist. There was a choice to be made, April’s unsettled weather or May’s tall alfalfa, so I chose April having waited too late in the past. The ranch was doing a major eradication effort, so I was told to hurry, adding to the urgency. When we arrived, the front fields were lying fallow having been treated with Roundup, poison bait everywhere in evidence, with a large tractor deep ripping the soil, and not a rat to be seen. Hunting would be limited to a few alfalfa fields a mile or so away.

Weather was the big factor, with Central Oregon offering fickle weather patterns that changed faster than a California surfer girl’s goose bumps. First day we were greeted with passing clouds and a freshening wind. It was fresh all right, cold with a wind chill factor that rivaled the inside of my ice chest (the roast beef froze in my luncheon sandwich). By afternoon it blew even harder, maybe 25 to 35 mph gusts. In a field sheltered between two ridges, I used the .223 Remington rifle built on a Dual Port Savage Action. Loaded with the Nosler 40 grain BT Lead Free bullet pushed along at 3,305 fps by 21.5 grains of RL-10x it is delivering .3” - .4” groups. First few shots were misses, I was correcting too much for the wind, so I held dead on with a slight bias toward the wind – splat, splat, splat. The wind didn’t seem to matter much, even out to the other side of the valley, about 250 yards – splat, splat, splat. After a while the rats were depleted, at least that percentage venturing above ground for that afternoon.

Back field offered shots out to around 250 yards, or more when shooting diagonally. Rats seemed to appear similar to a giant natural Mash -a-Mole. A wheel line was busy irrigating, attracting small birds that had to be distinguished from rats on longer shots.

I ventured out across the field to check for carcasses, when I looked back it became obvious just how far these shots were, and I was still 50 yards shy of the other side. In the photo's center is my gray GMC Sierra Crew Cab pickup, behind it completely invisible is my wheeled rifle bench. First day I used the .223 Remington, next day the .204 Ruger. Someday I might buy a laser range finder.

Rat was at the limit of the field, the .204 Ruger took him cleanly. White plastic pipe tee is a poison bait dispenser, from the number of rats I concluded they better buy more 1080 rodenticide.

I moved toward the front of the field where ranges were longer and the wind more pronounced. From my perch on the ranch road the field swept down and away, so I chose the .243 WSSM rifle with a 62 grain Varmint Grenade traveling at 3,580 fps average. Bullets had to cross several bands of differing wind velocity flowing mostly to the right. Held on the squirrels a tad to the left, but still on the body – splat, splat, splat and yuck. Lots of babies, little tiny and small. They disappeared when hit, all that was left was a hole in the soil where the bullet exploded after passing through. If they were cavorting close together, both would splat with one bullet – two-fers. Eagles appeared with their smaller cousins, perusing the carnage and selecting various a-la-cart offerings. A few times they swooped low but didn’t see any movement to trigger their instinct, while back in the valley where I started, a hungrier couple landed and began the clean up. Magpies were not so selective. When the action calmed down I moved again, this time joining Tony who was busily cleaning up errant rats with his semi-auto .17 HMR. Launching 17 grain bullets into a gale seemed hopeless, but he was nailing them consistently. So I uncased the .204 Ruger and joined in. The 26 grain bullets were not much of an advantage, but they consistently hit the little buggers as if Merlin had cast a spell on them. At around 5:45 p.m. the rats knocked off according to their union contract, so we packed up for the day.

Days two and three were much the same, wind, clouds turning to overcast, cold – low 40’s – which kept the barrels cool, and lots of rats if you waited for them to forget what they were scared about. There were occasional showers, a sleet flurry or two that quickly passed, and still the wind blew until my hands and face were chapped and red. One thing I relearned is that the Shilen Select Match barrel in .204 Ruger that I had screwed on to the Savage Target Action is phenomenally accurate. That little 26 grain Varmint Grenade at 4,110 fps doesn’t seem to care about windage, elevation, or much of anything else. Sighted in about an inch high at 100 yards, it hits everything out to as far as I can see ‘em. When there was a miss, it was usually attributable to a gust rocking my table, the rat moving as the trigger broke, or my frozen finger muffing the squeeze. I left that back field looking like a surreal sage rat version of a battlefield scene from the movie Zulu. Everywhere carcasses and blood splats dot the land like a surveyor’s paint markings in bold red. It was a scene rated PG, Parental Guidance and viewer discretion recommended. It is not Disneyana, it is nature at her most elemental; violent, uncaring, devoid of passion or mercy, life eating upon life.

Homemade .204 Ruger on a Savage Precision Target Action. Rifle sports a Shilen Select Match drop-in barrel, Sharp Shooter Supply semi-finished stock and a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x scope.Pillar bedded stock has a tricked out stress free epoxy bedding job. The .243 WSSM rifle is exactly the same except for stock color and Brux barrel.

Never give a rat an even chance. At 200 yards the 26 grain Varmint Grenade hits just a tad low on standing rats, I guess. Kinda hard to tell exactly.

It was the final day that made the “hunt” worthwhile. I began with my revisiting the same fields again. When I opened my truck bed cover, the weather laughed until it cried a sleet flurry that quickly sprinkled a white melting mess on my rifle cases, ammo boxes and even inside my spare boots! Everything went back in and the lid was closed. I sat in the truck hoping to warm up as I returned down the valley. Good thing I brought along a roll of blue shop towels, my nose was running from the cold wind. Flurries passed and I started to unload again. I almost made it. Suddenly the wind howled, singing a brassy song through the overhead power lines, then swirled through the open truck bed and dumped another layer of sleet on everything. This time it didn’t let up, the terrain was funneling the squalls directly up the valley. So I gave up. I moved to the front of the valley and parked on a grassy knoll where I could see my friend off about a quarter mile away. He was being buffeted on his truck mounted rotating shooting bench as he tried to hold steady enough to hit a few hardy rats. He looked like a big weather vane sporting a green down parka. At least the sleet didn’t travel this far, all that was left was a minor gale.

From the grassy knoll the arrow on the right points to Tony sitting on his truck mounted shooting bench, the left arrow points to the wheel line. I would cover the area from the wheel line to the left. Shots ranged to 330 yards.

Tony hunkered down on his rotating bench, the Remington .22-250 resting securely on a Caldwell Tack Driver Bag or Redneck Futon as Tony refers to it.

Tony saw me, and hurriedly hiked up to discuss what to do. He wanted me to set up on the grassy knoll, telling me that there are hundreds of rats in the fields surrounding him. He couldn’t reach the ones below me with his .22-250, but said I could with my Vortex Rifle as he calls it – the .243 WSSM. I looked out but didn’t see a single rat. If I took the area to the left of the wheel line, he said, I could nail them without conflicting with him. “Okay,” I said, to humor him more than agree to shoot what appeared to be non-existent rats. So I pulled my rifle bench from the truck, positioned it down-slope, set up the Vortex Rifle then moved my crew cab truck behind it as a wind break. I waited for a few minutes fussing with scope caps, adjusting the bipod and rear bag, ammo box, my tool box seat, and trying to pull in my gut in enough to zip up my coat. Then I scoped the area – my gosh, it was crawling with rats, acres of them! Load and fire, splat, splat, smack. Some did air time into low orbit, some simply disappeared, some turned inside out like victims in an old radio horror show. Many made the “pumpkin smack” sound when hit – kind-a like a balloon filled with hamburger hit by a passing locomotive.

Ammo, ammo, give me more ammo! Who said a single shot conserved ammo – now I know it isn’t true – but I was still wishing I had built all my rifles on the dual port action.

I stumbled to the truck on frozen stiff legs and brought back the entire supply of .243 WSSM’s. At this rate there wasn’t going to be enough. I had to turn down the magnification to 10 power, there too many rats to count or target easily at higher magnification. I turned it up as needed, proving the Bushnell Elite 4200 held it’s zero. One was hit underneath where the bullet fragmented to flip him over stunned, it lay there in my scope trying to run with legs disconnected from it’s CNS. The scope picture flashed white and he was gone – taken away by what appeared to be an osprey (?). I can recognize the bald and golden eagles, but others are obscured by staring into the bright sky and not having a solid knowledge of birds. Another raptor locked talons into a rat carcass, but the wind forced it to land before letting go. The wind blew, no matter, the rats were toast out to the limit of the field, maybe a little over 300 yards. I learned the long range shots were easy, just hold on their backs when they are on all fours, even if the bullet hits low in the dirt the kinetic debris kills them. My barrel had become warm even in the chill wind. Tony was firing as fast as I, with rat spat puffs drifting away in the wind, as unraveling carcasses went cartwheeling in the opposite direction. Two babies popped up, a single shot disrupted them both, a third ran over to snack on one carcass, he was turned into a biological geyser. I was about 200 rounds into the action when I began to wonder about copper fouling, would my bore resemble copper pipe? Never mind, keep shooting – 250 rounds, splat, splat, fur is flying, they are still coming. I was approaching 300 rounds, my ears are frozen, my neck is sore, arthritis being more troublesome than copper fouling, my right eye is focusing funny, when suddenly the rats disappeared. My watch indicated 5:50 p.m., quitting time. I felt satisfied, all three of my home made Savage rifles worked superbly, but next time I’ll bring the 1:8.5” twist .204 Ruger barrel loaded with 50 grain Berger bullets, just to see how it works.

Carnage, among the dens. There was no hiding, a shot would bring another up to see what was going on, what was going on was inevitable.

Tony has regained his status, not that he was ever in danger of being demoted, as we met when I was 12 years old and he 10 – some 53 years ago. We met in a model train shop, now we spend our time separated by 500 miles in gun shops and on-line depleting the world’s supply of gun stuff. I can’t wait until next year, or next month, but will make do hunting California’s ground squirrels in 100 degree heat until then. Both our wives think we are “eccentric” but that’s okay, we can’t hear them complain with ear plugs firmly in place.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: Another sage rat expedition has concluded. (Pics and Pro

Post by Joe O »

Nice post.Druelling!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Great write-up and pics there, John. It also all sounded familiar, as we appeared to be out in the same area at the same time with the same "Spring" weather you experienced. You gotta really love this stuff to endure those temps and the narley wind we had. Shooting in those wind conditions really makes you appreciate 'fast' and zippy calibers too. ;)

Thanks for sharing my favorite kind of adventure. :D

(By the way, our wives feel the same way about us....... :wink: )
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Neil S.
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Neil S. »

I'm glad some people are having fun this time of year! Finals are coming right up as the semester comes to a close, so its nice to take a study break and read about an adventure like this one. Thanks for sharing!

-Neil
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

great writeup! looks like fun!
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Nice write up and picks . I think every one is sick of the rain and mud.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Nice post.Thanks for posting.They are all I have for this years PD shooting.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Joe O wrote:Nice post.Thanks for posting.They are all I have for this years PD shooting.
Bummer Joe! You have to stay in and can't come out to play this year? :?

If that's the case, let me know and we'll fix you up with some screen savers to get you over this hump. At least you'll be able to look at what you wished you were doing..... :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Thanks for all the comments folks, I always enjoy sharing with others of like mind. Living in California all my life, I often forget what others face living in a four season climate. Even on my 2010 sage rat expedition just ahead of Memorial Day, Oregon dished up a day where we were hit by a micro-burst that had us looking for a funnel cloud. Tony and I hunkered down in our trucks hoping it would end soon. The wind blew so vigorously from the South East that I feared it would overturn my truck. The rain blew from the right to left so hard that my truck was cleaned of mud, even the wheel wells, while the left side was a muddy mess in need of a pressure washing.

Not that Tony and I are complete rookies. We were once caught in a historic blizzard in California's Siskiyou County, about 1965 or so. That bear hunt required me to drive through a mud slide along the Klamath River Road, then over a partially submerged log bridge spanning the North Fork of the Salmon River on Sawyers Bar Road that washed out just as we reached the other side. If it had washed out while we were on it, I wouldn't be writing this. We didn't know that the river road to Cecilville had slid out days earlier, leaving us stranded for six months if we didn't leave soon.. That storm dumped 184" of snow in three days at the higher elevations. We made it out after being towed by a snow plow to the summit of Sawyers Bar Road over 5958' Salmon Mountain on the last day the road was plowed. We couldn't wait to follow the plows down to Etna, California as we were freezing. The trip to Etna was interesting, because the road resembled a toboggan course, with stakes marking a Jeep and HI Scout embedded in ice inside the road banks. Tony asked if I shouldn't slow down, but I had to tell him that I had the brakes locked up for the past mile with no effect! Yahoo - we were an Olympic event! When we arrived at the bottom, my poor old 1954 Ford Station Wagon barely could move, it had picked up about a ton of packed snow in the undercarriage. We shed snow balls like a broken ice maker for the next 50 miles. What fun!

Hunting ground squirrels in Central California requires a completely different strategy. Where I hunt the weather is usually from the mid-80's to 105 degrees. The key is to take a gallon of ice water with me on the rifle cart, an ice chest loaded with 8 water bottles in the truck, and a supply Salt Stick electrolyte capsules. My shirt becomes starched with salts, my skin white with salty powder. If I don't take a capsule every half hour with a slug of water, I will charley horse on the way home. I mean, my thighs, calf's, ankles, hands and forearms. Try driving like that! Actually, Oregon offers better conditions even at its worse, because there is no chance I'll suffer heat stroke or a heart attack and have to pop the rescue beacon or call for help. If you gotta ask, why? Then you don't understand ground squirrel hunting - and the challenge of hitting small targets at long ranges. :D