New 204.. thought I'd share some pics!

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
204_au
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS stainless

New 204.. thought I'd share some pics!

Post by 204_au »

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and the 204 ruger and thought time to share some pics of some recent kills with the new rifle. The first was a white feral cat shot at about 150 yards using a LED torch mounted on the scope. At the time I was using factory 40 gr. vmax, which didn't group well at all, but were good enough to hit small game at closer range. The bullet entered just behind the right shoulder.

In the few days since shooting the cat, I bought some factory 32 gr. vmax to hunt with and been working up some hand loads using 39 gr BKs which are showing some real promise in the budget Remington. 27 grains of AR2206H (IMR4895) in once fired hornady brass and Remington 7/12 small rifle primers is looking like it could be the go for the future, but in the meantime I've got a few boxes of 32 gr. hornady vmax left to hunt with while building up the supply of brass.

Today was Anzac day, a holiday when we Aussies give thanks for the sacrifices made by our war veterans, and couldn't think of a better way to spend it than on a sunset hunt.

Was very fortunate to spot a fox a several fields away with just enough light remaining for a clear shot. With the scope wound out to full 9x, I tracked him for a while until he stopped for a moment, then I took the shot. The 32 gr. vmax dropped him without barely whimper.

This pic is from a sony HCR32 camcorder at almost full zoom.. you can just make out the head.

It was a mile walk upstream to cross the creek, then back to the field to locate and retrieve the dead fox and the sun had well and truly set by then. I checked the mark on my GPS and it read the shot at 382 yards.. the longest shot of my life so far! Lovin the 204 ruger :D

Besides the Remington, I have 3 rifles and a shotgun, those being a Brno model 2 in 22LR, CZ452 Varmint in 17HMR, Browning Abolt2 in 308 winchester and a 12 guage SxS Fausti which I'm the third generation to own. Very attached to that old shotgun..

Image Image Image Image

Cheers,
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Re: New 204.. thought I'd share some pics!

Post by Vartarg »

Very nice photos and report....thanks for sharing! My .204's love the 39gr Sierra Blitz Kings....esp with RL10X

We'll look forward to more posts in the future!
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing the pictures of your adventure. Gary
The Reloader
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington SPS Varmit

Post by The Reloader »

what animal is the upper left photo hanging upside down in the day time... Looks like a house cat :lol:
204_au

Post by 204_au »

The Reloader wrote:what animal is the upper left photo hanging upside down in the day time... Looks like a house cat :lol:
It's a feral cat, but unlike strays, these ferals have been living wild for hundreds of generations so tend to run larger in size. This Tom I shot a few weeks back is a typical example of the cats in this area. Most are ginger, but the coats can vary.

They are a declared pest species so there are no bag limit or season.

The Reloader
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington SPS Varmit

Post by The Reloader »

I really cant explain my jelousy of your guys location. Here (Massachusetts) I dont even have ground squirrls! :(
GTOHunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by GTOHunter »

That last Feral Cat looks a lot like our native wild Bobcats....she sure has a pretty coat!....Great shooting! :D ;)
boomer84
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 sps varmint

Post by boomer84 »

G'Day 204_au,

What state u in?

The fox's where i am i WA are fat shiny and plentifil too. Great pics keep them coming!

BOOMER.
204_au

Post by 204_au »

boomer84 wrote:G'Day 204_au,

What state u in?

The fox's where i am i WA are fat shiny and plentifil too. Great pics keep them coming!

BOOMER.
I'm in Central Victoria boomer.