Sage Rats

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Malazan
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper .204

Sage Rats

Post by Malazan »

Heading to Christmas Valley/Ft Rock, OR on the 8th of July. Going to try out the new Cooper. Will update later :D

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Sage Rats

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Malazan: Before you travel all that way, best to call your rancher to see if the alfalfa is too long to see the little buggers. OR.....if he will have the crop cut before you get there, otherwise you'll never see them in the tall stuff in the fields that late in the season.

Also, it's usually too hot by that time in July for squirrels here, and most if not all of them have gone underground. We stop shooting them after Memorial Day for these reasons. The rats go down around 0900 because of the heat, don't come up again till late in the evening when it's cooled off. It is not the best time of year in Oregon for ground squirrels.....much too late for the best shooting. Best to check it out first and save yourself gas and alot of sweat. :D

If you do get to go, I hope the Cooper is everything you hoped it would be. Skippy won't be too impressed though, I'm sure. :mrgreen:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Malazan

Post by Malazan »

Really, we went last year mid-July, and tore them up. We shot form 8 to Noon, then about 1:30 to 5:00. The guys place we hunt on is getting cut and bailed next week.

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Mazalan...all you can hope for is the weather. The last 2-springs have been pretty screwy (cooler than normal) to say the least. But on average, Rick is right. It can get real toasty in July around here.

Have fun...
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Malazan wrote:Really, we went last year mid-July, and tore them up. We shot form 8 to Noon, then about 1:30 to 5:00. The guys place we hunt on is getting cut and bailed next week.
You lucked out last time then, as it's usually much too hot for both us and Skippy by the first week of July. As long as it doesn't get too hot, you should be in good shape. We've had real issues in the July heat trying to keep barrels cool. Crop length/hot weather will be the determining factor. Good luck!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

My only suggestions would be to definatly bring shade, lots of cold drinks, and don't forget a towel or something to to soak with water, to help keep barrels cool. The wet towel help a bunch, but remember to keep checking for barrel heating, as the towels will not eliminate the heating, but maybe prolong shooting just a bit longer. And keep your ammo cool!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

I have been in contact w/ the farmer we hunt and he said dont waste your time they are down. We usually make it over this time of year but he said dont bother. Was not what i wanted to hear. But good luck maybe it will better in your neck of the woods
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
tt35
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator, Cooper M21, WOA AR, DPMS AR, custom AR

Post by tt35 »

The Richardson's Ground Squirrels in Chrstmas Valley are a different beast than our Belding's GS's. They come up later and go down later. Keep us posted Mazalan and good luck. I'm interested in hearing how you make out.

Tim
No Off Saeson
Predator and Varminr Hunting Gear
http://www.no-off-season.com
Tim Titus
No Off Season
www.no-off-season.com
"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."

Sure God's a hunter, he clothed Adam and Eve with skins and told Peter to "kill and eat", didn't He?
Malazan

Post by Malazan »

Hey, I made it back :D

My dad and I had a good time. He didn't do any shooting, just a lot of spotting

I shot about 200 Ground Squirrels in 2 Days of shooting :D

I can't believe how cannabilistic they are. As fast as I could pile em' up, the little bastards were out chowing down on their friends :eek:

Live Hard