First coyote with 204

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
tractorman
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington SPS SF

First coyote with 204

Post by tractorman »

Finally called in two this morning and the .204 40gr vmax done the trick. Big male never knew what hit him. One shot and he never moved at around 2-250yards.
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Re: First coyote with 204

Post by sharptailhunter »

Nice job! But, there were two coyotes, what happened to the other?
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

where's the picture????we love pictures!!!!!
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
tractorman

Post by tractorman »

The female winded me and she was not sticking around, when I took the male she lit the afterburners. I forgot to take a pic. I was caught up in the moment and had other stuff to do and I just forgot. It was a nice one too, no mange and heavy. I took it to my buddy who sells the fur, did not want to waste it.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

If there are no photos, it didn't happen. :lol:

Just kidding, but we do LOVE pics.....

Congrats on the kill!

George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
tractorman

Post by tractorman »

I knew I was going to catch the poo for not taking pics.
Vreeland274
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther 24" 1 in 12

Post by Vreeland274 »

I am am new to the 204, just got my dpms 24" with a 1/12, So many different options and beliefs, I bought this rifle to varmit hunt only! Maybe some range time just looking to shoot dogs out no further than 300yds. Is this going to do it? Dpms web site says most accurate round 32-36grain, I havent even shot it yet still waiting for my scope will be here tuesday. Just Looking for some advise that it will perform like I want. And I know bullet placement is critical. Please help.

Thanks Chuck :huh:
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by sharptailhunter »

The .204 has already proved itself as a very good varmint caliber. When you say "dogs", do you mean prairie dogs or coyotes/foxes? There is no question about the lethality it has on prairie dogs, rock chucks, and sage rats at distances well past 300 yd. Search some of Rick in Oregon's posts and you will become acutely aware of how tough they are on the smaller vermin. I personally wouldn't hesitate to shoot my .204 at a coyote at 300-400 yards. I don't think the question is, "Is the round capable?". I think the question is, "Is the shooter/rifle combo capable of the shot? Your AR is more than capable of the shot, you will just have to unfortunately get out and shoot it. It's rough, I know, but somebody has to do it ;) I'm being sarcastic of course! Any .204 is a hoot to shoot, so enjoy it! Of yeah, yes shot placement is critical on any animal. For coyotes, we want to place it in the right spot for two reasons. First, a safe humane and swift kill shot. Second, minimize pelt damage. Though I have never seen it, I have heard of shoulder hits turning into "splash" hits, causing more pelt damage. As for me, I just love the thrill of calling em in and I don't want em around harassing the game birds I am most passionate about.
Vreeland274
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther 24" 1 in 12

Post by Vreeland274 »

Yes thats exactly what I mean, coyotes. Probably no more than 300 yards. I live in las vegas just starting to go out, in some areas.I can't wait just put the optics on her, going tomorrow to shoot her for the first time and dial in that new vortex.
Thanks for the post I will take some pics, and going on a yote trip at the end of the month.
Chuck
WY-NEvarmints
.204 Ruger Guns: AR 204

Post by WY-NEvarmints »

Any pics of your new rig yet Vreeland? Or a report on how it shoots, especially if you've tested it to 300 yards! I too would not hesitate to whack a yote at 300-400 yards with a proven load for your rifle if you have a good rest when doing so.