first blood

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
iancxx
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 204

first blood

Post by iancxx »

Hiya,thought i would pop up a few pic,s of the result of getting to know my new baby,a Howa 1500 204,
will be more to follow when i get a load i like,and start useing her full time,here we go,
these last two were a 160 yds away,one on the left taken by my mate with a 39 sbk,one on the right by me with a 32 v max,,a case of 3 2 1 fire,
hope youy enjoy,loveing the 204,,,ian
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: first blood

Post by RAMOS »

Guess you're not hunting for meat......or fur, at least not big pieces of it. Nice job, bet ya had fun!
iancxx

Post by iancxx »

Hiya RAMOS,we are just sorting our load,s out,i head shot most of the bunnies,,we use our 22 lr for meat,then start on pest control,plus just curious to see what happen,s,when they get hit by the different round,s,
The 32 v max,makes a mess,on body shot,s,39 sbk,not so bad,,on head shot,s the 32 v max just empties their head,leaves body ok,on the smaller bunnies ,it just vapourises them,,
we dont shoot for fur,just to feed the ferret,s and dog,s,then it,s show time,here is a head shot,catch you all later,,ian
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Post by inKYfromSD »

IANCXX, are you making a dent in the bunny population? What kind of distance are you shooting? Chance we can see a video?
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

Awwww! that is so CUTE!

Good job!
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

I just returned from a 2 week fishing trip. The ground around home was totally brown and dry when I left. Now there's a light cover of bright green everywhere. Looking forward to the bunnies popping out again.
Good work Ian
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Thought I'd grab the binoculars and have a quick look. I can see my bunny spot out the bedroom window about 600 yds away. 2 fluffy white tails bouncing around straight away. First I've seen since last year. Bugga - they're gonna have to wait - still got some work to do on the boat
iancxx

Post by iancxx »

Hiya,thank,s for the comments fella,s,INKY we shoot hundreds every year,and they still keep comeing back,we have a lot of land to cover,one part is a golf course,that is just pure pest control,thats where the little hmr comes in handy,but will be useing the 204 this year,doing a bit of snipeing,from long range to cover more ground,my longest shot to date is a little over 200 yds,over what we call the valley of death,2 huge warrens next to each other,over the valley,we just drive between the two,shot,s will improve soon,as going to pick my best round this weekend comeing,1 for the 32 vmax and 1 for the 39 sbk,s,i have a load out to 200 yds with the 39,sbk,they just need fine tuneing ,i have bought a video camera,so will hopefully get a bit of footage,soon,need a volunteer to lie in the field next to the bunnies,
here is a couple of pic,s,first of 1 half of the warren,it trails of to the r h side,second the view back over from the warren,hill top behind the 4x4 is just over 200 yds,and lastly,a bit of 32 v max pest control

enjoy,,ian
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

Sounds like bunnies your version of the western US's prarie dogs!

Dang, I gotta move out of NY, LOL!!!
iancxx

Post by iancxx »

Hiya bowshot,you sure do have to get moved to the country side,full box of ammo,some good company,flask of coffee,donut,s,a .204,and field,s full of bunnies,or p dog,s,,and all day to play,and what the heck,haveing a good time,might aswell shoot in the dark aswell,just wish there was a burger king within 20 mile,s of where we shoot,or even a fish and chip shop,life would be complete,soon be the weekend,just hope for some good weather,,,ian
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

Varmints are kind of scarce here. Its upstate, beautiful rolling hills and farms, but "abundance" is not the word for varmints.

You probably already know this but... don't be shy to back-strap or hind those coneys, lots of sweet tasting meat there, even if you blow their guts clear out to San Francisco!!
iancxx

Post by iancxx »

Hiya,yep plenty meat on the bunnies,,they make a nice stew and a nice bit of pie,we give plenty away to friend,s,only blow them up when on pest control,and we have what we need,thats,s one reason i will never part with my little old cz452,,.22lr,my favourite rifle,that,s why i treated her to a boyd,s,she is allway,s the first one out to play on a shooting trip
BLOK
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Standard 204Ruger

Post by BLOK »

Nice shooting Ian. What speeds do jou get with the 32g VMaxe's in your howa and what is your jump. Just bought a Howa for myself, shot a few buck with the 45gGRSP but not yet with the 32's

Probably should introduce myself first.

Name is Blok stay in South Afrika, am mad about anything shooting and hunting. Currently using a 300H&H and just got my 204.
magnum
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by magnum »

iancxx wrote:Hiya bowshot,you sure do have to get moved to the country side,full box of ammo,some good company,flask of coffee,donut,s,a .204,and field,s full of bunnies,or p dog,s,,and all day to play,and what the heck,haveing a good time,might aswell shoot in the dark aswell,just wish there was a burger king within 20 mile,s of where we shoot,or even a fish and chip shop,life would be complete,soon be the weekend,just hope for some good weather,,,ian
a good chippy is hard to find looks like you are getting in to them bunny ian took mine out the other nite shot tile dark on the bunnys there a big bank its full of them out to 350 mts good fun but they where only good for fox food never mind will have to go back and shot the foxes now :D :D
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

RAMOS wrote:Guess you're not hunting for meat......or fur, at least not big pieces of it. Nice job, bet ya had fun!
I thought the same thing.
nice shooing