CO license requirements

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

CO license requirements

Post by Mike »

Does anyone know, with certainty, the license requirements for a nonresident to shoot prairie dogs in CO on private land? I've read that a small game license is required and I've also read that you can get around it by acting as an agent for the land owner (read: have permission to shoot there). I'll happily buy a license if I need one, but don't want to spend money unnecessarily.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: CO license requirements

Post by Bill K »

Mike, I do not know the answer to your question. But I would goggle up Colo dept of game and check it out on-line.. If no one comes back with a positive answer.. Bill K
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks Bill. I've read the regulations online and it's not completely clear to me. I plan to call CO and ask someone and will post the answer here if no one else replies first.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

If there reg book is like Ca. you need to be a philly lawyer to read or make sense of them... Will be good to hear what you find out. Bill K
Mike

Post by Mike »

At least we finally found something useful for the lawyers to do, Bill. :mrgreen:

Sorry to any attorneys out there. I know you're not all bad people. It's the 98% that give the rest a bad name.
WY-NEvarmints
.204 Ruger Guns: AR 204

Post by WY-NEvarmints »

I would most definitely call and talk to a person from CDOW. I hunted big game there for quite a few years and they changed some portion of the regulations very consistently. I would also take the full name of the person you talk to just to have that extra piece of mind. I hope you find plenty of furry bullet stops once you lawfully get out there.
Mike

Post by Mike »

WY-NEvarmints wrote:I hope you find plenty of furry bullet stops once you lawfully get out there.
Me too! This will be a new area for us and you never quite know what to expect. There are a couple of places in the area with good dog populations that charge, so I suppose we can fall back on that as a last resort.
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

to my knowledge there is not currently a license required to shoot Pdogs in colorado. I believe the law changed a few years ago.
Malazan
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper .204

Post by Malazan »

I live in CO.

Yes, you need a Small game license. 56.00 Non-Res

And there is a season on Public Land. Jun. 15 - the end of Feb.

Private Land is year round

Small game hunters are no longer required to purchase permits to hunt properties enrolled in the Walk-In Access program.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/Sea ... dFees.aspx

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
wirelessguy2005

are you saying that there is a license required to hunt on public ground and private? When we were in Colorado last summer we asked a couple different sources and according to them there was no license needed to shoot prairie dogs on private land.
Malazan
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper .204

Post by Malazan »

This applies only to Private Land

From the DFW handbook:

#327 - Badger, muskrat, beaver, red fox, bobcat, skunk, coyote, raccoon, prairie dog, pocket gopher, rock squirrel and Richardson’s and thirteen-lined ground squirrel

A. These species may be taken year-round as necessary to protect private property.

B. A license shall not be required of any person, member of the person's family, lessee, agent, designee, or any employee of the person when necessary to protect private property.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollect ... s/Ch03.pdf

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
wirelessguy2005

good deal, you had me worried there for a second. This information is inline with what we were told last year. :D
Malazan wrote:This applies only to Private Land

From the DFW handbook:

#327 - Badger, muskrat, beaver, red fox, bobcat, skunk, coyote, raccoon, prairie dog, pocket gopher, rock squirrel and Richardson’s and thirteen-lined ground squirrel

A. These species may be taken year-round as necessary to protect private property.

B. A license shall not be required of any person, member of the person's family, lessee, agent, designee, or any employee of the person when necessary to protect private property.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollect ... s/Ch03.pdf
Mike

Post by Mike »

Sorry for the delay in following up with my own thread. I just spoke to a lady at the Colorado Division of Wildlife about this situation. She said that no license is required to shoot prairie dogs on private land that you have permission to be on.